Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Why a national ID card is to be feared
E-mail | 10/07/2001 | A friend

Posted on 10/08/2001 8:36:10 AM PDT by Eala

John,

I heard a brief part of your program on "national IDs" Thursday and there were two things I noted: your mind was not necessarily made up on the issue, and your guest breezily dismissed many arguments as being just slippery slope arguments. You will understand that [my wife] and I are very sensitive to this issue; I pray you will hear us out.

Your guest was correct -- and also very very wrong. That the arguments are slippery slope arguments does not mean they are false. We have already in fact descended some distance down this slippery slope. To elaborate:

1. (The beginning:) I got my Social Security card in the early 60s. It bears the legend "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES - NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION."

2. [My wife] got her card some years later, but hers does not bear that legend. I don't know when or why it vanished.

3. Sometime after that, requests for one's SSN as an individual-specific identifier began. There were protests and alternatives were made available, in at least most cases.

4. Ten to fifteen years ago the federal government made it mandatory for children claimed as dependents to have SSNs. There are two ways to read this requirement; verification, or imposition of a national ID number. I consider it the first.

This is where we are today. Small steps, each, but steps taken in a definite direction.

From here on I am speculating. Your guest was calling for an explicit ID card, correctly noting that it is a very small step from where the SSN is -- today. (But a big step from its beginning.) To carry the issue forward:

5. The next step is a plastic card, probably not unlike a driver's license, bearing the ID number, photograph, etc.

But no matter what means are employed, forged and/or false cards will appear.

6. This will result in a call for a more sophisticated "smart card", which will contain name, number, photograph and other identifying biometric data (fingerprints, DNA).

John, I went to the Internet to locate a quote I had read a few days ago. I found on the way that this argument has been going on at least since 1995, below (and I apologize, until I saw the site this was going to be a short e-mail):

From http://www.jvim.com/IntelligenceBriefing/September1995/Mark.html

Democrats such as Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Republicans such as Gov. Pete Wilson agree that the time has come for a national identity card, perhaps including biometric data. Such a card is already in use by the federal government. It's called, interestingly, MARC -- for Multi- Technology Automated Reader Card, and all armed services personnel are familiar with it. Feinstein recently called on her colleagues in the U.S. Congress to make carrying such a card mandatory for every American citizen. Her remarks, memorialized in the daily Washington journal Roll Call, are stunning in their candor and chilling in their content. "I believe that a new, phone- or machine-readable card that all job and benefits applicants would be required to present to verify their work or eligibility for assistance deserves careful consideration," she said. "As (the Senate subcommittee on immigration) heard ([from authorities]), counterfeit-resistant cards that incorporate 'biometric' data are available and in use today. [...] [I]t is clear to me that state-of-the- art work and benefits eligibility IDs can and must replace the Dinosaur Age documents now being used."

But there will be a loss. Today's (10/07) Eastside Journal, p.A12, quotes Donald Hamilton, former advisor to the National Commission on Terrorism:

For example, he cites proposals for a national identification card. He likes the idea: "People are going to discover the ancillary benefits real quickly. Hey, this is a wonderful tool for tracking deadbeat dads." And yet he recognizes we would be giving up something that is "almost palpable -- ability to leave, go elsewhere, start over."

I will go further and state a concern that the card will likely end up carrying rap sheets, driving violations, and every other unpleasant encounter with the government. This may sound like a good thing, but consider what is lost, the precious "ability to leave, go elsewhere [...].

So far not especially frightening, or even worrisome, for somebody who has never had a run-in with the government. But the following, which was the quote I was searching for, from the site above, puts it in perspective:

"A national ID database represents the slipperiest of all civil liberty slopes," says Ron K. Unz, himself a computer software entrepreneur. "A system employing tens of thousands of government clerks and administrators and costing tens of billions of dollars to build and operate would surely not remain limited to catching illegal nannies. Why not use it, at virtually no additional cost, to track convicted child molesters as well? Who would dare object? Why not then also track the movements of convicted murderers. And rapists. And drug dealers and felons in general. And fathers behind in child support. And tax-evaders. And 'political extremists.' Members of 'religious cults.' Drug addicts. AIDS carriers. Gun owners. With each turn of the political cycle, left and right would add their favorite batch of social enemies to the surveillance list."

John, I should quit here. But once we have arrived at this point (and I have no doubt we will reach it, for each step is but a small step from the preceding one), we are really only one small step from the very bottom of this slippery slope.

The final step is control, direct control of an individual's purchases, travel, etc. I admit that this is pure speculation, but consider that there are already sectors of society that various groups would love to exercise control over: all kinds of ex-offenders, deadbeat dads, any fringe political or religious group deemed a threat to someone (in power -- could it include "the vast right-wing conspiracy"?), and so on.

Those on the fringe would suffer it first. But throw in something like today's terrorist scenarios, and it's only a short step to implementing any number of old science fiction dystopic-future schemes, all chilling variations on a theme, all in the name of being safe.

Unlike then it is possible now. We have the technology.

I consider this last step unlikely. But even if we stop at the stage Unz describes, America will be horribly transformed. This is why I do not like, why I fear, the national ID card.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-65 next last
This e-mail was sent to a local radio talk-show host by a friend. For his privacy I have removed identifying information before posting.
1 posted on 10/08/2001 8:36:10 AM PDT by Eala
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Eala
Maybe the "hate Bush" groups are paid professionals. It's not beyond the democrats to pay public relations firms to be their "grassroots".
2 posted on 10/08/2001 8:45:46 AM PDT by GOPJ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: GOPJ
What do national ID cards and hating Bush have to do with each other? If Bush tries to put them in place, I would hate Bush, too.
3 posted on 10/08/2001 8:48:16 AM PDT by PatrioticAmerican
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

"The more the data banks record about each one of us, the less we exist."
-Marshall McLuhan
4 posted on 10/08/2001 8:53:54 AM PDT by Age of Reason

To: PatrioticAmerican
I'd stack my conservative credentials up against anybody's, but I just do not get the insistent hostility to national ids that's displayed on this board. We pretty much have them now anyway, in the form of driver's licenses. Descending down the slippery slope -- first it tracks murderers, then it tracks hand gun owners -- just doesn't seem very likely to me, largely because in most places it's legal to own a hand gun. And if it's not, then the solution is to change the law, not sneak around breaking it. (Current events, and their impact on gun ownership and everyone's feeling of the need to defend themselves, are helping with that one already.)

I'd much rather that we had these cards, with as many technological toys as possible like fingerprints, medical/criminal history, etc. -- how about immigration status? Think that could've helped if these cards had been swiped before the Sept. 11 crowd enrolled in college, bought a plane ticket, rented a car, etc???. I think having to produce them, and carry them, is the same as having to wait in line at an airport and submit to a search there (if I were to go to an airport, which these days I wouldn't). It's a necessary response to dealing with these lunatics. I say, bring it on. I've got nothing to fear, and I doubt the other people on this threat do either.

5 posted on 10/08/2001 8:56:19 AM PDT by JOHN ADAMS
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

President Bush "is not even considering the idea" of issuing a national ID card, White House spokesman told reporters.

And lawmakers who advanced the idea are now backing away from it.

Source

6 posted on 10/08/2001 8:58:37 AM PDT by Irma

To: JOHN ADAMS
We pretty much have them now anyway

OK then, if we have them now anyway as you say, then there is no need for a national ID card. Case closed.

7 posted on 10/08/2001 9:01:46 AM PDT by Eugene Tackleberry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Maybe the "hate Bush" groups are paid professionals. It's not beyond the democrats to pay public relations firms to be their "grassroots".

What the...Are you going to keep blowing that one note horn on every thread? Geez, you're not even in tune!

8 posted on 10/08/2001 9:01:49 AM PDT by Wm Bach

Comment #9 Removed by Moderator

Hey, this is a wonderful tool for tracking deadbeat dads
This is the "its for the children" mantra of the authoritarians.
10 posted on 10/08/2001 9:03:00 AM PDT by lelio

To: Irma
Irma, you are right. Whatever the merits of ID cards, or the threat of ID cards (however you see it), ID cards are "not in the cards" at this time.

Personally, I don't think ID cards would stop terrorism. Not when there are a million legal visitors from suspect countries in the USA right now. Card or no card, some of them are already plotting the next attack. The only solution is to send them all home.

11 posted on 10/08/2001 9:06:01 AM PDT by samtheman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Wow, the first completely inane statement today.

?

---max

12 posted on 10/08/2001 9:07:55 AM PDT by max61

If for no other reason, I do not want an additional massive bureaucracy whose sole purpose is to issue and maintain Nat'l ID cards. Why should additional tax dollars be spent in support of a system that would be so susceptible to fraud, in effect rendering the idea useless?
13 posted on 10/08/2001 9:08:15 AM PDT by NittanyLion

We pretty much have them now anyway, in the form of driver's licenses

Then why do we need another ID?

Are you aware of the expanded capabilities and uses of national ID? What of biometrics? What of travel and purchase tracking? What of smartcard capabilities?

A drivers license is merely a license to drive. A national ID is a license to exist. Do you not see the difference?

I just do not get the insistent hostility to national ids that's displayed on this board

The fed's abuse of SS#'s, and its utter contempt for the 4th Amendment has done nothing to earn our trust.

I've got nothing to fear

Would you have a problem with cameras inside your home? If you have nothing to hide, why would you? If you can understand why that would be intolerable, you'll understand our concerns.

14 posted on 10/08/2001 9:08:24 AM PDT by freeeee

Is this a naive libertarian post?
15 posted on 10/08/2001 9:11:18 AM PDT by gitmogrunt

To: freeeee
Let's see if I can answer these arguments, which, by the way, I know are being offered in good faith by decent people (just wanted to get that issue out of the way). First, the home argument is compelling because your home is, as a matter of constitutional law, common sense, John Locke, and lots of other good things, different. It is certifiably private. It's where you bathe your little children, it's where you make love to your wife, it's where you go to the bathroom, it's where you go out naked at 1 in the morning to make sure the garage door is closed and locked. That's very different from going out in public. Public is public -- it's not home, and it's not private. It's public. That's why our last great president couldn't claim that the debaucheries he was committing with Monica were private -- because he was doing them on our (public) time, and in a public place (to wit, a federal office building), and he was using the public power we gave him (well, not us freepers, but you know what I mean) to procure the women he was doing that stuff with.

As far as already having them, we do but they don't help track illegal immigrants and other lunatics. If they were smart cards and were used that way they'd be more valuable. At my kids' school every teacher, administrator and visitor has to wear a badge around their neck all the time. The kids know that anybody who isn't wearing one of those is a danger. This is the same thing, and cops could use them that way.

As far as the cost is concerned, I doubt it'd be that much and I think it would be outweighed by the law enforcement benefits. Federal bureacracies stink but mostly they just deaden the people who work there (or they employ the almost dead). I'm not too worried about the well being of those people.

16 posted on 10/08/2001 9:20:30 AM PDT by JOHN ADAMS
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

You all might want to have a look at Larry Ellison's piece on the WSJ editorial today (see opinionjournal@wsj.com), advocating a voluntary national id to speed airport security check ins, etc. One of the things he talks about is the very large extent to which the travel, spending etc. data people on this board are worried about having collected is already being collected, and sold, by lots of people including VISA and AMEX. it seems pretty silly to me that some dopey bank can access my info to decide to send me a "preapproved" credit card, but my government can't access the same data to protect me from lunatics.
17 posted on 10/08/2001 9:38:10 AM PDT by JOHN ADAMS
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Comment #18 Removed by Moderator

Comment #19 Removed by Moderator

To: Wm Bach
You bet I am. I don't care if it's the democrats or Bin Laden who's paying the PR firms to trash Bush.

What the...Are you going to keep blowing that one note horn on every thread? Geez, you're not even in tune!

20 posted on 10/08/2001 10:35:41 AM PDT by GOPJ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-65 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson