Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Key To Homeland Defense – The States [Hugh Hewitt on the new FEDERAL police force]
www.TechCentralStation.com ^ | 09/26/2001 | Hugh Hewitt

Posted on 09/26/2001 2:04:43 PM PDT by RonDog

Wednesday, September 26, 2001

The Key To Homeland Defense – The States

By: Hugh Hewitt, TCS Corespondant

To Earlier this week I wrote on the subject of the new Office of Homeland Defense for my other web column at WorldNetDaily. (www.worldnetdaily.org). Everyone in Washington, D.C., agrees that this is a much needed office, but reaction to that column alerted me to some issues not yet asked and answered inside the Beltway. Because I agree that this effort is vital to the prevention of future terrorist attacks on unsuspecting citizens, I relay some of these concerns.

First, a federal agency even loosely affiliated with law enforcement raises issues of a federal police force beyond the scope of the FBI and the ATF. Gov. Thomas Ridge, R-Pa., who will head up the new office, would be well advised to arrange for some tough questions to be thrown at him by senators if, in fact, Senate confirmation is required, as many suspect authorizing legislation will provide. The governor is in a position to answer these issues of jurisdiction with the credibility of a chief executive who has felt the burden of federal interference, but he will have to convince skeptics that his agency does not intend to trample on the authority of state and local officials.

There is also the perennial and legitimate concern of gun owners about confiscatory federal regulations. Better a bold statement on the rights of gun owners than vague assurances about respecting Second Amendment rights. If Ridge addresses this constituency, he will earn at least grudging admiration for having tackled the sensitive issue head-on.

State and local officials are also watching to see if this new office will be another "mandate factory" -- the sort of federal office great at giving orders and vanishing when the bill is due. Advocacy of preparedness is a critical role, but advocacy ought not to metastasize into authority to compel. The Constitution's Spending Clause has become the bludgeon of choice in recent years, as Congress has attached very long strings to the money it provides to its co-sovereigns at the state level. Gov. Ridge is again well positioned by virtue of his service in Pennsylvania to assure nervous states on this point.

Then there is organization. Having served long ago as deputy director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, I am acquainted with the volumes of the Federal Personnel Manual and the reams of statutory provisions behind it. Once set up and staffed, it will be extraordinarily difficult to change. So Ridge and the congressional drafters must get it right the first time.

To me it is obvious that each state must have assigned to it a state director whose job it will be to familiarize himself or herself with the particulars of that state's vulnerabilities to terror attacks. It is also obvious to me that each state director should be very close to the top of a very flat management structure if he or she is going to be able to mobilize support to cure deficiencies in preparedness. The obscure rules of the Senior Executive Service must be combed so that each of these state directors is given a rank sufficient to draw talent into the office. It would be best if each of these directors were also a political appointee, not only so that they would hold the confidence of the administration but also so that their respective client governors and mayors would know that these appointees had been selected by the incumbents and at least nominally enjoyed their trust. Given President Bush's demeanor these past two weeks, I think we can be confident that he will be seeking the most competent people for the senior levels of this agency. Congress should assure that the personnel system is modified in the agency's authorizing legislation to allow him a chance to make this crucial effort succeed.

I asked Jim Strock about this federal-state cooperation issue. Strock is a veteran of senior positions in both the federal and state bureaucracies, having served as the head of California's Environmental Protection Agency and as head of enforcement at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. When I asked him about the appropriate balance between federal presence and state oversight, he wrote back:

"Far from undercutting state authorities as so many reasonably fear, the unprecedented circumstances of the national emergency we are entering may lead to greater reliance on states. As President (and former Governor) Bush and Governor Ridge acutely understand, the states are the first line of defense on natural and human-made disasters. Extensive public and private emergency services generally lie directly in the purview of governors -- who well know that their careers can be made or broken in the immediate aftermath of a crisis."

"In addition," Strock continued, "planning for the worst while hoping for the best, the federal government has not historically been called upon to respond to multiple disasters, other than prospectively in the context of civil defense in the Cold War. The states would inevitably be in the lead.

"The states, and local communities, are the repository of experience and expertise relating to their own infrastructure that will always exceed what the best-intentioned bureaucrat in Washington might assemble. What is more, there simply may not be time to work through Washington."

Strock added a little glimpse of the complexity of the challenge ahead: "In California, potential mischief involving the water aqueducts and pesticide supplies in the Central Valley, or the Golden Gate Bridge, or the refineries at Wilmington and Martinez, or the nuclear facilities at Rancho Seco, would be best understood and comprehended by teams led by state officials with long histories of working with local governments and communities."

"Rather than being an obstacle to the immense task being undertaken by Governor Ridge," Strock concluded, "the states may well be the indispensable piece that makes a truly national response possible and credible."

Voices like that of Jim Strock are the voices that Congress should listen to as it ponders the statutory authority that will be given the new Office of Homeland Security. There is a rush to respond, as there should be. But that response must be calibrated to give Gov. Ridge what he needs -- including authority over his appointees -- even as the structure of the new agency takes account of the irreplaceable expertise of the states.

Hugh Hewitt's radio show is syndicated by The Salem Radio Network, and is heard across the country. He can be reached at www.HughHewitt.com.

Copyright © 2001 TechCentralStation. All rights reserved.

For Educational and Discussion Purposes Only. Not For Commercial Use.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021 next last
See also www.HughHewitt.com.

If you would like to comment on the programming decisions made on Hugh's radio show, please tell the "Generalissimo" Duane, the FR newbie, at:
Please help welcome our NEWEST FReeper: talk host Hugh Hewitt's producer, Generalissimo Duane!

1 posted on 09/26/2001 2:04:43 PM PDT by RonDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: bang_list
There is also the perennial and legitimate concern of gun owners about confiscatory federal regulations. Better a bold statement on the rights of gun owners than vague assurances about respecting Second Amendment rights.

Way to go, Hugh! Indexing for the Second Amendment interest group, bang_list.

2 posted on 09/26/2001 2:13:09 PM PDT by RonDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2, Doug from Upland, PatiPie, DLfromthedesert, Irma, Dog, generalissimoduane
BUMP!
3 posted on 09/26/2001 2:16:09 PM PDT by RonDog

To: RonDog
FR posted by JohnHuang2: Defending the homeland: Hugh Hewitt offers Gov. Ridge advice on implementing new Cabinet position

My whole concern is that all this expanded govt. leaves out the chance to call on the militia (US Constitution, Art. I, Sec. 8) to which John Eastman, one of Hugh's regulars, refers.

Hugh said good point then, but now seems to only emphasize government responses. All concerns about this new office are that it could grow into yet another ineffective bureaucracy.

Let's not forget the American public in forming this response; nothing should be overlooked about just what the heroes Beamer, Glick, Olson and the others represent!

4 posted on 09/26/2001 2:25:55 PM PDT by flamefront

Earlier this week I wrote on the subject of the new Office of Homeland Defense for my other web column at WorldNetDaily. (www.worldnetdaily.org).
Everyone in Washington, D.C., agrees that this is a much needed office, but reaction to that column alerted me to some issues not yet asked and answered inside the Beltway.

"reaction to that column" ...from FReepers, perhaps? (Hugh lurks on FR!)

See:
Defending the homeland: Hugh Hewitt offers Gov. Ridge advice on implementing new Cabinet position
Posted on 09/24/2001 23:24:58 PDT by JohnHuang2

Do any FReepers care to post MORE "reactions" here?

5 posted on 09/26/2001 2:26:48 PM PDT by RonDog

To: flamefront
FR posted by JohnHuang2

Thanks, flamefront! (Great minds think alike!)

Perhaps Hugh's new-found interest in "federalism" is not yet locked in. He may be subject to persuasion here.

6 posted on 09/26/2001 2:29:38 PM PDT by RonDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Exactly why I remind him or you or whoever. Stay safe.
7 posted on 09/26/2001 3:08:21 PM PDT by flamefront
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: First_Salute, truth_seeker, Twodees, Lucky2, HalfIrish, Osage Orange, looscannon, habs4ever
BUMP!
8 posted on 09/26/2001 3:24:53 PM PDT by RonDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Ernest_at_the_Beach, aodell, Snow Bunny, Carbon, TERMINATTOR, Askel5, George Smiley
BUMP!!
9 posted on 09/26/2001 3:32:12 PM PDT by RonDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Thanks Ron.This is a big job a comin', and could be lots of turf wars ahead.
10 posted on 09/26/2001 3:37:10 PM PDT by habs4ever
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Well, count me as one who views the whole thing with a wary eye... the potential for abuse, say under a hillary!2008 administration is staggering....

In the hands of a benign administration it might not be too bad ( but it's another layer of unelected, hence unaccountable, bureaucracy- and more of our money down a rat hole.... )--

under a malicious administration.....

11 posted on 09/26/2001 5:00:19 PM PDT by backhoe (Has that clinton "legacy" made you feel *safer* yet? ? ?)

To: RonDog, Hugh Hewitt
Another excellent article, Hugh!

What is uppermost in my mind are the nuclear power plants and their security. Let's hope these plants around the country will be an immediate priority on Ridge's agenda along with our reservoirs and dams.

Thanks for the flag, RD. You're on the ball as usual!

12 posted on 09/26/2001 5:18:58 PM PDT by PatiPie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Let's look at Tom Ridge's record:

Pro Abortion - Baby Killer: ""Does government have a right to force a woman to be an incubator for nine months for another individual?"

Anti Second Amendment - Gun Grabber: In May of 1994, then Rep. Tom Ridge teamed up with President Bill Clinton, Sarah Brady (HCI) and Rep. Charles Schumer (D-NY) to pass the semi-auto gun and magazine ban. By casting his vote for the gun ban in a narrow 216 to 214 loss for America's gun owners, Ridge's one vote can arguably be blamed for its passage and subsequent inclusion in the Clinton crime bill of 1994. In August of 1994, after GOA led a coalition of grassroots activists which nearly defeated the Clinton crime bill, Ridge continued his opposition to America's gun owners. He voted for the rule to bring the crime bill and its gun ban to the floor for a vote. (Ridge was one of only 42 Republicans to do so.) He then voted for final passage of the crime bill -- one of only 46 Republicans to do so. In the Spring of 1995, Sarah Brady teamed up with newly elected Gov. Tom Ridge to push one of Pennsylvania's most restrictive state gun control laws in a long time -- Act 17. As Pennsylvania's Governor, Ridge presided over the passage of Act 17, and then signed it into law. GOA opposed this bill from its inception and teamed up with several pro-gun state organizations to lead the national charge against the bill. Act 17 registered and taxed long gun buyers and placed other restrictions on Pennsylvanians' gun rights. ...

Pro Voter Fraud: He supported the motor-voter legislation that his GOP colleagues feared would be an open invitation to voter fraud.

Anti National Defense: He was a leader in the fight against President Reagan's ballistic missile defense initiative.

13 posted on 09/26/2001 6:10:42 PM PDT by TERMINATTOR

To: backhoe
the potential for abuse, say under a hillary!2008 administration is staggering....

Bite your tongue! God forbid such a monstrous thing would ever happen!

I understand your point, though.
Once a governmental bureaucracy gets established, it is just about IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of it later.

What ever happened to the British "Home Office" after WWII?

14 posted on 09/26/2001 7:32:42 PM PDT by RonDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: RonDog,Ann Archy,uvular,Inge_CAV,dogbyte12,Nita Nupress
It is too, too bad that Defenders of the Homeland dont and wont have what Bush, his Cabinet and Congress have!

In Genoa,in July,the combined power of the world protected Bush from assasination from his old BCCI/Bath/Oil Loan/Bin Laden!

The bunkers and the gas masks and the armed guards that protect Condit,Clinton,Bush and Cheny and Congress wont be available for us, the inhabitants of the Homeland!

Most Americans arnt saying what they will be soon enough,that the combined incompetence,corruptness and greed of Congress and the White House over the years led to WTC and 8 thousand dead Homelanders and foreingers!

If Bin Ladens track record keeps up, there wont be many Homelandes left, just the cowards in DC, hiding in the bunkers!

15 posted on 09/26/2001 7:42:07 PM PDT by Betty Jo

To: backhoe
Look, we have all these agencies concerned with security and none of them coordinate with each other. The result WAS disastrous. Yes, any office could be abused. Congressional oversight is of paramount importance, and WE need to keep an eye on Congress.
16 posted on 09/26/2001 9:04:07 PM PDT by DLfromthedesert
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Thanks RonDog for the ping. Hewitt is so good.
17 posted on 09/26/2001 9:21:58 PM PDT by Snow Bunny

Do any FReepers care to post MORE "reactions" here?

Yep! Hugh Hewitt is awesome!!!!

18 posted on 09/26/2001 9:27:10 PM PDT by abner

BUMP!
19 posted on 09/27/2001 6:09:15 AM PDT by RonDog

To: RonDog, All
What's with all this fascination for a former federal bureaucrat who has never recovered his citizen's mindset? Hewitt still sounds like a federal bureaucrat. I'm sorry, folks, but this guy makes me puke.

He misses his own point by a mile here. The states are the key to national security, but Hewitt sees a federal official for each state as a way of unifying federal control over state LE and civil emergency authorities as a good thing.

What a totally woolyheaded way of thinking this guy has. He must be a republican.

20 posted on 09/27/2001 6:52:42 AM PDT by Twodees

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson