I find it hard to continue trusting a President who is trying to get me to go along with an amnesty plan that I know would encourage more incursions along our southern border. Besides, it is plain wrong and a violation of our laws. (It is our laws and justice system that makes the U.S. different than most other place. Here I don't have to bribe a civil clerk to get my car out of impound; I did have to pay a bribe when I lived in Spain.)
A guest worker plan for temporary migrants I can accept. Amnesty for millions who came here illegally? No.
I had to remove your comment from parenthesis, because it is important in itself.
We are supposed to have an open and aboveboard system, but we don't. We just don't allow the poor and middle class to use bribery. Our form of bribery is the $5000 campaign contribution, or buying the $25,000 seat at the party banquet. The payoffs are the cushy job for the spouse or brother-in-law of the politician, or the inside stock tip. Remember McAuliffe and the Global Crossing tip? Hillary "cattle futures"?
How about the Senator's law firm getting huge retainers from influence buyers? How about the Customs Inspector taking the payoff?
The largest corruption is the backscratching between Government and Corporations. That is the impetus for the dissolution of the United States. Corporations don't like citizens, they like cheap and compliant laborers. If they can't find them here, they find them in China, India, or Mexico; and, when all else fails, they import them legally (H1-B) or illegally -- whatever it takes to pump up their wealth, not the overall wealth or cultural health of the nation. Corporate socialism, or, to use the classic definitiion, Fascism, is every bit as bad as any other form. That's what the flood of immigration is really about, isn't it? Government, by neglecting one of its' prime duties, defense of sovereignty; is subsidizing 5% of the population at the expense of the other 95%.