Posted on 10/22/2013 5:09:27 AM PDT by DeaconBenjamin
An Israeli spokesperson stressed that the Washington Post story claiming that there were intense spy wars between Turkey and Israel was not serving any Israeli purpose, denying that David Ignatius source was Israeli officials.
Ignatius does not have sources in Israel to [be able to] publish such a story. From an observers perspective, the [information was not leaked] from here, said Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesperson Yigal Palmor, at a Tuesday press briefing to visiting Turkish journalists. Palmor neither denied nor confirmed the report that Turkish intelligence had disclosed to Iranian intelligence the identities of up to 10 Iranians who had been meeting in Turkey with their Mossad case officers. I do not know what operation Mossad is carrying out, he said, adding, [There has not been] any denial from Turkey regarding the [classified document].
It does not serve any Israeli purpose, Palmor said, emphasizing that the objective could make things more difficult between Turkey and Israel, whose relations have been frozen since the 2010 Mavi Marmara crisis.
It mainly sends the message that rapprochement is not possible or not in the interest of Turkey and Israel. This would be the intention, the spokesperson said.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.