Posted on 10/03/2003 6:57:47 AM PDT by .cnI redruM
Amnesty International has chastised the Prince William County Sheriff's Office for its recent use of a stun belt against sniper suspect John Allen Muhammad, saying that use of the belt is akin to torture and violates international law. In a letter to Sheriff E. Lee Stoffregen III (D) dated Sept. 22, the human rights advocacy group calls on the sheriff to get rid of the stun belts and sharply criticizes the use of the device on Muhammad during a visit to Prince William Hospital on Aug. 22. During that visit, Muhammad was shocked by the device after he refused to allow hospital employees to take an unplanned X-ray of his head. Susan Lee, program director of Amnesty International's Americas Region, wrote that the organization has a "deep concern" over the use of the electro-shock belt in Muhammad's case, arguing that it was unnecessary and violates international standards for the use of force by police. In a written response to the organization, Stoffregen defended his office's use of the belt, which is designed to incapacitate a prisoner by delivering thousands of volts of electricity, and said that it is an effective tool of law enforcement that allows deputies to maintain safety and security. Sheriff's deputies activated the device while Muhammad was shackled at the wrists and ankles, apparently because he did not want to cooperate with the test. Muhammad had been scheduled for an MRI and did not expect an X-ray, his attorneys have said, and Muhammad essentially moved his head back and forth to thwart it. "Amnesty International believes that the infliction of electro-shocks in the circumstances described constitutes torture or other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment prohibited under international standards," Lee wrote. "We consider that the stun belt, even when not activated, is an inherently cruel device as severe pain can be inflicted at the push of a button and the wearer is under constant threat of its activation." The Prince William Adult Detention Center, which usually transports prisoners for hospital visits, does not use stun belts, neither does the Prince William County Police Department. The sheriff's office uses the stun belts for courthouse security. Muhammad, 42, is awaiting a capital murder trial in the Oct. 9 slaying of Dean H. Meyers, 53, who was killed at a gas station north of Manassas. Muhammad has been held in the Prince William Regional Adult Detention Center since shortly after being arrested last October, and authorities there say he has been largely compliant with the staff. His trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 14 in Virginia Beach. Stoffregen wrote that his office has conducted an internal investigation that concluded the recent use of the stun belt on Muhammad was "in compliance with our agency's policies and procedures" and that it was "Muhammad's choice not to comply with the deputy's request, and Mr. Muhammad's actions that prompted the use of the stun belt." Stoffregen also wrote that the use of the belt was not to force medical testing, but he did not elaborate. "I'm prevented from discussing the case as trial is still pending," Stoffregen wrote at the end of his letter, also dated Sept. 22. "However, I would caution you that newspaper reporting of the incident, as well as attorney information, may not always be complete, accurate and factual." Peter D. Greenspun, one of Muhammad's attorneys, said this week that he agrees with Amnesty International's criticism of the stunning. Greenspun has said that Muhammad did nothing to deserve getting a serious electric shock and that Muhammad suffered injuries as a result. In Lee's letter to Stoffregen, she wrote that she hopes the use of stun belts will cease, asking that steps be taken to prevent a similar incident in the future. "We seek assurances that all those in your custody, including defendants accused of the most serious crimes, will be treated humanely," she wrote.
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
|
|
![]() |
FreeRepublic , LLC PO BOX 9771 FRESNO, CA 93794
|
It is in the breaking news sidebar! |
They should develop a "stun condom". ZAPcity.
In a letter to Sheriff E. Lee Stoffregen III (D) dated Sept. 22, the human rights advocacy group calls on the sheriff to get rid of the stun belts and sharply criticizes the use of the device on Muhammad during a visit to Prince William Hospital on Aug. 22. During that visit, Muhammad was shocked by the device after he refused to allow hospital employees to take an unplanned X-ray of his head.
Susan Lee, program director of Amnesty International's Americas Region, wrote that the organization has a "deep concern" over the use of the electro-shock belt in Muhammad's case, arguing that it was unnecessary and violates international standards for the use of force by police. In a written response to the organization, Stoffregen defended his office's use of the belt, which is designed to incapacitate a prisoner by delivering thousands of volts of electricity, and said that it is an effective tool of law enforcement that allows deputies to maintain safety and security.
Sheriff's deputies activated the device while Muhammad was shackled at the wrists and ankles, apparently because he did not want to cooperate with the test. Muhammad had been scheduled for an MRI and did not expect an X-ray, his attorneys have said, and Muhammad essentially moved his head back and forth to thwart it.
"Amnesty International believes that the infliction of electro-shocks in the circumstances described constitutes torture or other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment prohibited under international standards," Lee wrote. "We consider that the stun belt, even when not activated, is an inherently cruel device as severe pain can be inflicted at the push of a button and the wearer is under constant threat of its activation."
The Prince William Adult Detention Center, which usually transports prisoners for hospital visits, does not use stun belts, neither does the Prince William County Police Department. The sheriff's office uses the stun belts for courthouse security.
Muhammad, 42, is awaiting a capital murder trial in the Oct. 9 slaying of Dean H. Meyers, 53, who was killed at a gas station north of Manassas. Muhammad has been held in the Prince William Regional Adult Detention Center since shortly after being arrested last October, and authorities there say he has been largely compliant with the staff. His trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 14 in Virginia Beach.
Stoffregen wrote that his office has conducted an internal investigation that concluded the recent use of the stun belt on Muhammad was "in compliance with our agency's policies and procedures" and that it was "Muhammad's choice not to comply with the deputy's request, and Mr. Muhammad's actions that prompted the use of the stun belt." Stoffregen also wrote that the use of the belt was not to force medical testing, but he did not elaborate. "I'm prevented from discussing the case as trial is still pending," Stoffregen wrote at the end of his letter, also dated Sept. 22. "However, I would caution you that newspaper reporting of the incident, as well as attorney information, may not always be complete, accurate and factual."
Peter D. Greenspun, one of Muhammad's attorneys, said this week that he agrees with Amnesty International's criticism of the stunning. Greenspun has said that Muhammad did nothing to deserve getting a serious electric shock and that Muhammad suffered injuries as a result. In Lee's letter to Stoffregen, she wrote that she hopes the use of stun belts will cease, asking that steps be taken to prevent a similar incident in the future. "We seek assurances that all those in your custody, including defendants accused of the most serious crimes, will be treated humanely," she wrote.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.