Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Lawyers: Malvo Spoke Proudly Of Shootings
AP/Yahoo ^ | 7-18-2003 | Matthew Barakat

Posted on 07/18/2003 8:24:58 PM PDT by blam

Lawyers: Malvo Spoke Proudly of Shootings

Fri Jul 18, 7:39 PM ET Add U.S. National

By MATTHEW BARAKAT, Associated Press Writer

FAIRFAX, Va. - Sniper suspect Lee Boyd Malvo willingly and proudly discussed the sniper shootings with two prison guards the day after his arrest, so his statements should be admissible in court, prosecutors said.

"He was relaxed and calm as he related his past criminal activities," prosecutor Raymond Morrogh wrote in a motion filed Thursday and made public Friday.

"His demeanor with the guards was that of one who was proud of his accomplishments and comfortable with the brutal aftermath of his handiwork," the motion read.

It is not known exactly what Malvo said to guards at the Baltimore Supermax federal prison Oct. 25, the day after his arrest, but the discussions involved the shootings.

Defense lawyers don't want a jury to hear the statements. A motion they filed earlier this month seeks to have the statements suppressed on grounds that Malvo was in government custody and had invoked his right to remain silent.

But Morrogh said Malvo initiated the conversations with guards Wayne Davis and Joseph Stracke. He said the guards had no obligation to inform Malvo of his right to remain silent because they are not law-enforcement officers and because Malvo had not yet been charged with the sniper killings. At the time, he was held on a federal material witness warrant.

The prison guards "did not employ any psychological ploys or exert any pressure on Malvo whatsoever," Morrogh wrote. "At any time Malvo could have walked away from the window in his cell or simply maintained his silence."

Prosecutors say one of the conversations began when Malvo requested a piece of fish from Stracke. When Stracke gave him the fish, Malvo said he "always fasted before his missions," according to Morrogh's brief. That prompted a question from Stracke and a conversation the defense wants to suppress.

A hearing on the issue was scheduled for Thursday.

Malvo, 18, and fellow suspect John Allen Muhammad, 42, have been linked to 20 shootings, including 13 deaths, in Virginia, Maryland, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Washington, D.C. Both could get the death penalty if convicted.

Prosecutors have said the shootings that occurred in metropolitan Washington during a three-week spree in October were part of a scheme to extort $10 million from the government.

Malvo's confession to some of the shootings after his November transfer to Virginia custody already has been ruled admissible by Circuit Judge Jane Marum Roush.

Malvo goes on trial Nov. 10 for the killing of FBI analyst Linda Franklin. Muhammad, charged in the slaying of Dean H. Meyers at a gas station, is to go on trial Oct. 14.


TOPICS: News/Current Events; US: District of Columbia; US: Maryland; US: Virginia
KEYWORDS: fairfax; lawyers; malvo; malvotrial; proudly; shootings
Some real sickos out there!
1 posted on 07/18/2003 8:24:59 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: All
Thank you very much!
Thank you very much!
That's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me.
It isn't every day
good fortune comes me way!
I never thought the future would be fun for me!
And if I had a bugle
I would blow it to add a sort
o' how's your father's touch.
But since I left me bugle at home
I simply have to say
Thank you very, very, very much!
Thank you very, very, very much!

Thank you for your donation!


2 posted on 07/18/2003 8:26:40 PM PDT by Support Free Republic (Your support keeps Free Republic going strong!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Support Free Republic
Skin the "boy" alive!
3 posted on 07/18/2003 8:28:22 PM PDT by RIGHT IN SEATTLE (SIGN)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: blam
This whole episode makes me sick..and what really bugs me is that big media wanted us to believe that that shooter was a timothy mcveigh wannabe..a white male 30 something year old who listens to rush and has racist beliefs..magically when the real killers turned out to be a black converted muslum and an illegal alien, big media changed their tune..they dropped it..it gets mentioned every now and again..
4 posted on 07/18/2003 9:09:06 PM PDT by BerniesFriend
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: BerniesFriend
They're so transparent that even you and I can see through it.
5 posted on 07/18/2003 9:12:51 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson