Posted on 12/01/2002 7:51:25 AM PST by knighthawk
SEOUL: South Korean activists on Sunday attacked the White House computer server with electronic mail bombs to protest the aquittal of two US soldiers accused of killing two schoolgirls in a road accident.
Meanwhile four people were arrested breaking into a US army base and riot police were stopped 300 protestors from marching on the American embassy in Seoul.
South Korean hackers and Internet users launched the bombs at the server at 0300 GMT, an activist said.
But the cyber attack was "largely ineffective due to an advanced filtering system at the White House," he said, vowing to stage a second attack later.
It was not known how many people were involved in the attack. Some 25 million people, more than half of the South Korean population, have access to the Internet and regularly use email.
The attack was led by a coalition of 130 civic groups which have organised protests since two 14-year-old girls were crushed to death by a 50-tonne military vehicle on their way to a birthday party in June.
Anti-US sentiment escalated in South Korea, one of Washington's close allies, after a US military court cleared the soldiers of negligent homicide two weeks ago.
US President George W Bush offered an apology to South Koreans last week for the deaths of the two teenagers but the apology has not soothed public feeling here.
On Sunday, four students cut through a steel wire fence, with two of them climbing up a 30-meter-high water tower, in a US army base in Bupyeong on the western outskirts of Seoul.
"Two of them were caught on the ground and the other two were arrested after staging a two-hour anti-US protest on top of the water tower," a Bupyeong police spokesman said.
Outside the base, some 250 college students scuffled with riot police, he said, adding there was no damage to US property during the demonstration.
In downtown Seoul, riot police stopped 300 protestors who carried placards and candles in an attempt to march on the US embassy.
Riot police armed with shields formed a human wall around the protestors, 50 metres away from the embassy, and allowed them to hold a peaceful 40-minute rally.
The protestors shouted "Bring the girls back to life" and called for the withdrawal of 37,000 US troops stationed in the South under a mutual defense pact.
Under an accord between Washington and Seoul, US troops here come under US jurisdiction for crimes committed while on duty. The soldiers in question left for the United States last week.
Many Koreans are bewildered that the soldiers walked free and that no one has been held legally responsible for the killings. Under the Korean criminal justice system they would almost certainly have been jailed.
US soldiers have been put under indefinite curfew in areas controlled by 2nd Infantry Division, the core part of US forces in South Korea.
I didn't realize drug usage was a big problem in South Korea.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.