Skip to comments.Long-term Michigan Rep becomes latest Republican who voted to impeach Trump to resign [I've added an addendum to his legacy]
Posted on 04/05/2022 1:42:01 PM PDT by Bogle
"Michigan Republican Rep. Fred Upton announced his retirement Tuesday from the House floor making him the fourth Republican who voted in favor of President Donald Trump’s impeachment to do so."
(Excerpt) Read more at americanwirenews.com ...
• Voted AGAINST a 2009 amendment to withhold tax- payer dollars from Planned Parenthood (ACU-17).
• Voted AGAINST a 2007 amendment to withhold tax- payer dollars from Planned Parenthood (ACU-6) Read what the National Right to Life Committee had to say about this guy: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/national-right-to-life-committee-blasts-fred-uptons-record-on-abortion .
• Voted FOR Pelosi's "light- bulb ban" that, as the ACU explains, regulates "lights and appliances (including a ban on the incandescent light bulb), creating new programs for alternative energy sources, imposing more regulations on energy companies and mandating vastly increased use of ‘renewable’ energy” (ACU 6).
• Voted FOR Cash for Clunkers (ACU-17).
• Voted FOR Barney Frank’s Housing Trust Fund of 2007 (ACU-5), which Speaker Pelosi boasted as “the largest expansion in federal housing programs in decades” (Pelosi 1) and which the Bush administration opposed as “a duplicate program” that “would create an undue and counterproductive reliance on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac” (Woolley & Gerhard 1) .
• Voted FOR the Democrat's 2007 Energy Policy that mandated reliance on biofuels while not allowing oil supplies to increase. The policy also stiffened regulations and raised taxes $2 billion (ACU-6).
• Voted FOR applying McCain / Feingold to grassroots organizations (ACU-4) NOTE: Undoubtedly, in this instance, the dems were the good guys. This was GOP-sponsored and nearly ALL republicans voted for it. However, we at RemoveRinos believe there is no excuse for voting against the 1st Amendment no matter how many republicans do so and no matter how reprehensible George Soros’ 527s are. And if John McCain were to jump off a bridge…..??
• Voted AGAINST a 2006 conservative budget alternative that would have extended Bush’s tax cuts while trimming more than 300 billion dollars of discretionary spending, done away with close to 150 programs, and increased funds for the military and for veterans. It also would have opened ANWR for drilling (ACU-4) .
• Voted AGAINST banning taxpayer dollars from going to the U.N. to renovate, or build anew, their headquarters in the United States (ACU 4).
• Voted AGAINST an amendment to cut discretionary spending by 2% while protecting the Bush tax cuts (ACU 2).
• Voted FOR raising min- imum wage after the Dems rejected tax cuts that would have protected entry-level workers and small businesses (ACU-6) . For insights into the harmful effects the measure, in its House form, would have meant to workers and small businesses, National Review Online consulted with four leading economists. All four economists agreed that only politicians stood to gain from the measure : "At Minimum…Should Republicans fight back against a minimum-wage increase?"
• Voted FOR spending an additional $100 million on Public Broadcasting (ACU 2).
• Voted AGAINST reforming the Endangered Species Act (ACU 2). to reimburse property owners for losses suffered from not being able to develop their land. It also clarified species designations, better protecting the species in need of protection and better targeting the properties in need of oversight (Marano and Lieberman).
• Voted AGAINST the Online Freedom of Speech bill, which would have prevented e-mail and blogs from being regulated by the Federal Election Commission (ACU 2). In essence, this bill's defeat leaves open the possibility that McCain/Feingold could reach its way dramatically into the Internet (Hayward).
• Voted FOR a 700% increase in funding for the HOPE VI Public Housing Program, even as $2 billion remained in the coffers, unspent. This was a program that Bush had marked for elimination (ACU-8).
• Voted FOR permanently raising taxes on businesses while temporarily extending tax credits on “green” initiatives. This was presented to the American people as "tax relief" (a deed that the ACU appropriately describes as "legislative sleight-of-hand") (ACU-8).
• Voted FOR the Democrat's Mortgage Bailout (Round One). Introduced in May 08, this bill set the tone for the bailout fever that would soon infect Washington. Under threat of Bush veto, Upton voted in favor of the bailout, which sought to further distort the marketplace by increasing the Federal Housing Authority's influence, guaranteeing hundreds of billions of dollars in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans. Simultaneously, it provided a multi- billion dollar trust fund available to parties of questionable relevance and repute, such as ACORN (ACU-8). o For background into the bill's tie-in to our current bailout woes, see the following prescient NRO editorial: "Do Nothing, Congress."
• Voted AGAINST strengthening missile defense in 2008 (ACU-8).
• Voted FOR the economic stimulus bill of September 2008 (ACU-8). https://web.archive.org/web/20100914143429/http://www.removerinos.com/UptonFred.html
Fuqum, burn in hell
Retribution is coming. Just getting out before the roof falls in.
But the exits are all getting jammed up badly.
They were all dead men walking right after that vote.
He was my Rep. POS RINO. Adios M.F.’r
I really like their stores. At least the ones here in Indiana.
So long, it’s been bad to know ya...
Mine is DWS (mayo-hair-head).
And I’m taxed without representation.
They expected to do in Trump and his legacy. Hoisted on their own petar.
How was this guy even able to be called a republican.
Fred Upton should remember there is no statute of limitations on giving aid and comfort to the enemies of the United States.
Fine that he’s going.
But, he was kept around after so many bad votes. After one or two, it was time to get rid of him. But no, voters in his district kept voting him in for 20 or so years. 19 years too many!
A Pelosi-like district. She can be in office for another 30 years easy.
THAT is the American Way-
This guy is a poster child for the Term Limits movement.
He was elected in 1986, having defeated incumbent GOP rep Mark Siljander in the primary. He rarely had even a close race in his district - though he was challenged from the right on a few occasions.
You can likely guess my age when I tell you that I was in college when Upton first won election to Congress. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE should be able to hold a seat in Congress that long.
Now THATS the way to post an article! Expose these RINOs by listing their voting record.
“What is going on with opposition to Peter Meijer, the grocery store heir who is a RINO?”
Two or possibly even 3 Trump supporting conservatives are going to split the primary vote, very likely allowing Meijer to sneak through to the general election. He won by 6 points in 2020 (Trump won the district by 3 points) against a very well-funded liberal Democrat who is seeking a rematch in 2022.
Meijer won by 6, but redistricting has moved this district about 7 points to the left; the Grand Rapids area is deteriorating rather quickly.
Meijer may very well lose in 2022, but if so then it seems more likely to be at the hands of a loony leftist in November rather than against a good conservative in the primary.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.