Skip to comments.China’s Chip Ambitions Fade as State-Backed Chip Giant Faces Bankruptcy
Posted on 07/22/2021 8:46:12 PM PDT by SeekAndFind
Tsinghua Unigroup, a Chinese state-backed chip maker, said it received court notice that one of its creditors had initiated bankruptcy proceedings for the group, dated July 12.
Tsinghua Unigroup is a commercial arm of China’s Tsinghua University and an integral part of Chinese Leader Xi Jinping’s semiconductor self-reliance dream. One of its creditors had requested the court to initiate bankruptcy and reorganization proceedings due to Tsinghua Unigroup’s failure to repay debts and its glaring insolvency.
The company is a key member of China’s microchip national team.
According to a Unigroup filing to the Shanghai Stock Exchange, the creditor who requested the court proceedings was Huishang Bank Corporation Limited, a Hong Kong-listed bank based in Anhui, China. On Nov. 16, 2020, Tsinghua Unigroup defaulted on $198 million in bonds, resulting in a credit downgrade. And at least six more of its bonds had defaulted by June of this year, the group disclosed.
Tsinghua Unigroup is a semiconductor conglomerate under Tsinghua Holdings Co., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tsinghua University. It was founded in 1988. Tsinghua Holdings owns 51 percent of Tsinghua Unigroup, and its Chairman Zhao Weiguo’s management firm holds the remaining 49 percent.
With the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) support, Tsinghua Unigroup began acquiring and merging semiconductor-related technology companies in 2013. It has formed a large semiconductor conglomerate, one of China’s largest, with 286 consolidated subsidiaries in just a few years and accumulated nearly $46.4 billion in assets.
Its subsidiaries include Tsinghua Unisplendour, Unigroup Guoxin Microelectronics Co., UNISOC, and Yangtze Memory Technology Corp (YMTC).
Although backed by the CCP and the prestigious Tsinghua University, Tsinghua Unigroup’s subsidiary companies didn’t utilize the university’s technological capabilities for research and development. Instead, they focused on acquiring technology companies.
(Excerpt) Read more at theepochtimes.com ...
Buying not stealing.
Much like they bought
rocket technology from
The USA will sell you anything.
China did they same thing in many industries, so why are they ignoring it in semiconductors?
Start on the the low end, for cheap and simple applications and then start the climb from there.
Taiwan is pretty good with chips. Maybe China is banking on that.
How bad of an F-up do you have to be in order to have your chip company go bankrupt in the middle of a worldwide chip shortage?
Chip manufacturing and communism don’t mix
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.