Posted on 07/18/2015 10:22:03 AM PDT by sheikdetailfeather
Yes, but don’t you begin to wonder where all these governors were before this killing took place? They are completely reactionary. I’d think more of all of them if they had recognized the problem years ago and taken action then.
I doubt Gov. Scott has that authority. Military bases are federal property.
Many armed forces bases are state property with a $1/year 99-year lease to the FedGov. He probably has the authority.
The guards at the gate and the duty officers should be armed, but you don’t want a base with 20,000 soldiers carrying weapons at all times. I talked with a good friend of mine who was in the Army from 1965 to 1968. When I proposed that everyone on base be armed, he laughed, shook his head vigorously, and said the carnage on Friday nights alone would be horrific. He said that even when he was a duty officer, he kept his loaded clip in a pocket rather than in the weapon. There had been incidents (not involving him) where drunk soldiers tried to wrestle loaded weapons from guards and duty officers. Those incidents would have been multiplied many fold if everyone was carrying.
I’m not opposed to that point of view, but then there needs to be an armed M.P. Corp on bases that is prepared to defend the troops. In certain situations you may need to put unarmed people in charge of dust-ups.
We can’t allow our troop to be attacked like this. These incidents are intolerable.
I’m very willing to let folks who are more in touch with what’s going on to come up with something, but this is total horse “stuff” what is taking place now.
We’ve got to get this conversation started and fix it.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.