Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

To: bd476
From the Sunstar

Strong earthquake hits Bohol, 6 killed

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

CEBU (7th Update) – A powerful magnitude-7.2 earthquake jolted Carmen, Bohol and other parts of the Visayas and Mindanao Tuesday morning, killing at least six persons and injuring dozens others.

At least four people were confirmed killed in Cebu City.

Cebu City Vice Mayor Edgar Labella said in radio interview that the four were killed after a slab from the fish market fell on them.

"We're quite fortunate today is a holiday, not too many people in (office) buildings," he said.

Another report said two persons were killed when part of a public market in Mandaue City in Cebu collapsed. Seventeen others were reportedly injured.

Neil Sanchez of the local disaster council in Cebu told ANC that a school building has collapsed in Talisay City and several schoolchildren were trapped in the debris.

The Philippine Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) Director Renato Solidum Jr. said in a radio interview that while there is no indication the quake can cause a tsunami and damage.

Phivolcs has so far recorded 18 aftershocks as of 10:30 a.m., he said.
81 posted on 10/14/2013 8:00:49 PM PDT by ch.man
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]


To: ch.man; knarf; Doofer; AlexW; Ernest_at_the_Beach; ManilaKen; meyer; Kathy in Alaska; BIGLOOK; ...


Thank you, ch.man!





ch.man wrote:

From Philippines Sunstar

Strong earthquake hits Bohol, 6 killed

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

CEBU (7th Update) – A powerful magnitude-7.2 earthquake jolted Carmen, Bohol and other parts of the Visayas and Mindanao Tuesday morning, killing at least six persons and injuring dozens others.

At least four people were confirmed killed in Cebu City.

Cebu City Vice Mayor Edgar Labella said in radio interview that the four were killed after a slab from the fish market fell on them.

"We're quite fortunate today is a holiday, not too many people in (office) buildings," he said.

Another report said two persons were killed when part of a public market in Mandaue City in Cebu collapsed. Seventeen others were reportedly injured.

Neil Sanchez of the local disaster council in Cebu told ANC that a school building has collapsed in Talisay City and several schoolchildren were trapped in the debris.

The Philippine Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) Director Renato Solidum Jr. said in a radio interview that while there is no indication the quake can cause a tsunami and damage.

Phivolcs has so far recorded 18 aftershocks as of 10:30 a.m., he said.


87 posted on 10/14/2013 8:15:19 PM PDT by bd476
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 81 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article


FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson