Skip to comments.Walmart Employee Warns Customer About Dog Locked in [hot] Car, Loses Job
Posted on 07/12/2013 10:32:57 PM PDT by grundle
Carla Cheney, a former Walmart employee from Kemptville, Canada, claims she was fired for alerting a customer that he shouldn't leave his dog in a hot car.
On Wednesday, shortly before beginning her shift, Cheney saw the customer put his Newfoundlanda large breed with a heavy black coatin his truck and roll up the windows, reports the Ottawa Citizen. Cheney, who worked in the Walmart pharmacy, called the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and later confronted the dog owner after he left the store, telling him that "he should not be leaving his dog in the car." He responded that it was none of her business.
Later that day, Cheney was called into her the office of her manager... The manager then told her she was fired...
Some estimates put the number of dogs that die each year from being left in a hot car in the thousands.
The Chicago Tribune reports that on an 85-degree day, the dashboard can heat up to 170 degrees in a mere 15 minutes.
... dogs don't perspire like humanswhich is one of the reasons why they can succumb to heatstroke in a matter of minutes
(Excerpt) Read more at shine.yahoo.com ...
“Lately I have been hearing a great deal of negative reports about Walmart.”
Yes, they still are not unionized.
I used to have this job where I worked. I just fixed the computers but sometimes I had to deal with irate customers so that the front desk (all ladies) didn’t have to deal with them.
90 percent of the customers were perfectly fine. But the other 10 percent?
Personally, if it were me, and I had one of my staff on the firing line, put the customer on the blackout and leave it at that. Hand them back their money and tell them that they aren’t welcome there.
And I still think that is the right thing to do, but the story says she already contacted authorities, when she decided to confront the dog owner she was apparently in uniform in which case she was representing Walmart, like it or not. That is her action I disagree with, and as think someone stated, we don’t in what manner she spoke with the dog owner.
A higher body temperature has nothing to do with survivability in a hot car. It’s all about the air and even a lower-temperature day can cause stifling heat if the humidity is high.
In the current world, she probably should have removed her clothing, written save the dogs on her breasts, and thrown a brick through the window. She’d be a media hero!
Well, Laz and I would think her a hero. ... or heroine. ... or thorazine, or something.
I am offering a free broken window to anyone who leaves a dog to die in a hot car.
No company will ever tell the press or anyone other than the employee why that employee was fired. To many court cases have taught companies that it is not a good idea.
Thanks, I wasn’t aware that there was a smear campaign going on.
How about this, was she on the clock? Did her job description include the words “parking lot monitor”? Was she a shrill, intrusive bytch that the pharmacist had been trying to get rid of for months?
Agreed. Leave companies alone regarding hiring and firing decisions. Outside medling leads to problems for the free market.
It’s a number of things.
True, Walmart is still on the media’s hit-list for being non-union.
But looking at Walmart’s 10-K filings between this year and 2012, they’ve opened 137 new stores in America, while at the same time losing approximately 100,000 employees (an average loss of 36 employees per store). At the same time, lots of those workers have had their hours cut from full-time jobs as a response to the health care law, because Wal-Mart simply wouldn’t be able to afford it and keep their prices low.
The result: less manpower, less time to get things done. Which is why we get news stories of empty shelves, stuff put in the wrong area, long lines, and all sorts of things that make shopping at Wal-Mart a negative proposition.
It sucks for everyone, but that’s the economy for you.
Good way to end up at room temperature.
Not BS at all. Necessary procedure used by most employers to avoid litigation.
I’m sure it was handled better than the employee breaking the car window so the dog can breathe!
Does stupid hurt?
Lock a dog in a car like this and I’ll whip your ass.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.