Skip to comments.NORTHCOM just upped Force Protection Condition to Bravo
Posted on 05/01/2011 8:30:54 AM PDT by jagusafr
Just got a flash on the 'puter that NorthCom has upped the threat condition to FPCON Bravo. Not sure what triggered it, but it's the first elevation in some time. Watch the news and maintain your SA, folks.
This from “Military $ Families”:
FPCON BRAVO: This applies when an increased or more predictable threat exists. In addition to the measures required by FPCON ALPHA, the following measures will be implemented:
1. Increase the frequency of warnings as previously required under FPCON ALPHA, and inform personnel of additional threat information as appropriate;
2. Inform soldiers, civilian employees and family members of the general threat situation to stop rumors and prevent unnecessary alarm;
3. Move automobiles and objects such as trash containers and crates a safe distance from potential targets;
4. Verify the identity of all personnel entering the installation by inspecting ID cards or grant access based on visual recognition;
5. Increase the frequency of random identity checks (inspection of ID cards, security badges and vehicle registration documents).
For us non-military folks...
What is NORTHCOM / what’s their area of influence?
What is the purpose of FPCON?
Does this mean we should be on high alert, ready to deploy our duct tape and tin foil?
So, is San Antonio going to come under attack? Or what?
The threat level assessment for some form of terrorist attack internal to the United States just got raised for the first time in quite a while, for reasons unknown at present. Maintain your situational awareness (SA) so as to not become a victim.
For those familiar with Ron White it means "put on the damned helmet"......
I’d man my SA if my RXY wasn’t PEG23 on its RX596. Not that that’s an excuse.
Will this mean the US military wont take orders from the impostor in chief due to the fake BC?
My thoughts too. May mean fewer golf games for the Won?
Sorry - there are two main assessments of threat level that military installations maintain: FPCON, or Force Protection Condition, meaning threats to people or infrastructure, and INFOCON, meaning threats to information systems (computer networks, etc.). Normally, the FPCON is at Alpha, the lowest level, meaning merely “no current identifiable threat, but be vigilant anyway”. The elevation to BRAVO means that Northern Command (NorthCom), which is responsible for security within the 48 states (CONUS), has reason to believe there is an elevated danger of attack within the CONUS.
So many military and former military here on FR, I assumed it would need less explanation - again, sorry.
Sorry again, LL - SA in this case is Situational Awareness. I’m actually not in SA at the moment!
Thanks for letting us know. Would this be similar to the old “Orange” theat level from the recently discontinued color code?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.