Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

President Lee to preside over meeting of top military commanders
Yonhap News ^ | 5/02/2010 | Yonhap News

Posted on 05/02/2010 8:40:49 PM PDT by ErnstStavroBlofeld

President Lee Myung-bak will chair a meeting of top military commanders next week, his spokesman said Sunday, a reflection of how seriously he regards last month's deadly sinking of a naval ship in waters near North Korea.

Lee will preside over the military commanders' meeting on Tuesday, marking the first time in history for a South Korean president to chair such a meeting, presidential spokesman Park Sun-kyoo said.

The 1,200-ton patrol ship Cheonan sank in waters near the tense western sea border with North Korea on March 26, revealing problems with the way the military responded to the deadly disaster amid suspicions of an attack by the communist neighbor.

The sinking killed 46 of the ship's 104 crew members. Six bodies have not yet been found.

"President Lee will check what tasks the Cheonan incident handed to our military and people, and state his position as the supreme commander of the armed forces," the spokesman said.

Lee is expected to check the military's defense posture, discuss measures to prevent a recurrence of such a disaster and issue related instructions.

North Korea is widely believed to be behind the sinking, though it has denied responsibility.

(Excerpt) Read more at english.yonhapnews.co.kr ...


TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: cheonan; koreanpeninsula; northkorea; pcc772; presidentlee; skorea; southkorea; southkoreanmilitary; usfk

1 posted on 05/02/2010 8:40:49 PM PDT by ErnstStavroBlofeld
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: sonofstrangelove

bump


2 posted on 05/02/2010 8:48:55 PM PDT by GeronL (http://libertyfic.proboards.com << Get your science fiction and fiction test marketed)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: sonofstrangelove
have none of the survivors said if they think it was a torpedo or a mine yet???
3 posted on 05/02/2010 8:56:43 PM PDT by Chode
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Chode

I think that they are still being debriefed by both the South Korean military and American military.


4 posted on 05/02/2010 8:58:07 PM PDT by ErnstStavroBlofeld ("I have learned to use the word "impossible" with the greatest caution."-Dr.Wernher Von Braun)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: sonofstrangelove

It was an Amish torpedo. Those terrorists are everywhere!


5 posted on 05/02/2010 9:00:42 PM PDT by 17th Miss Regt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: sonofstrangelove
thx...
6 posted on 05/02/2010 9:22:53 PM PDT by Chode
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: sonofstrangelove
What a remarkable way to begin a war. They have sunk an enemy mainline ship and have plausible deniability. Now they can launch a first strike if the South Koreans decide to ratchet up logistical wartime planning. Claiming the South Koreans are the ones using an accidental incident to attack the North. Unfortunately a brilliant tactic to rally domestic support.
7 posted on 05/03/2010 3:58:23 AM PDT by justa-hairyape
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson