Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Nuevo Laredo is beefed up (Mexico)
San Antonio Express-News ^ | 08/09/2005 | Dane Schiller

Posted on 08/09/2005 7:45:19 AM PDT by SwinneySwitch

MEXICO CITY — As many as 1,000 soldiers and federal police are headed to the southern side of the Texas-Mexico border to combat rising drug-cartel violence in the border city of Nuevo Laredo, officials said Monday.

The U.S. Consulate there re-opened after being closed for a week because of security concerns, and Nuevo Laredo's mayor was traveling in an armored car and using soldiers as bodyguards.

As part of President Vicente Fox's ongoing Operation Safe Mexico, multiple federal agencies began deploying Sunday to Nuevo Laredo and elsewhere along the border in the state of Tamaulipas, including Reynosa and Matamoros.

Federal and state officials emphasized the number of troops, police and agents headed to the border is an estimate. Various operations are under way to protect the cities and crack down on organized crime.

"The exact total is a bit confusing," one official said.

There is also the need for secrecy, a federal official said.

"Operations are a surprise, and they do not want the criminals to know how many (officers and soldiers) are coming," he said.

"It would be like, 'They are sending three, so we will send four,'" he said of how gangs might react to deployment information.

At least 100 people have been killed in Nuevo Laredo so far this year, including 18 police officers, a police chief who was gunned down just hours after taking office, and a city councilman shot last week on a busy street.

Most of the dead are believed to be tied to rival gangs vying for control of drug smuggling routes into the United States.

Police and other officials are said to often face the dilemma known as "silver or lead," meaning, take bribes and turn a blind eye to mafia activities or don't take the bribes and risk being killed.

In the wake of Friday's assassination of Councilman Leopoldo Ramos Ortega, who headed the city's Public Safety Commission, Nuevo Laredo Mayor Daniel Peña Treviño is being protected by a contingent of army soldiers.

Some observers said that given how Ramos and his bodyguard were cut down in broad daylight, the soldiers might not be enough to deter potential killers.

"He should have even more protection," said a city official, who, like most people discussing the tense situation in Nuevo Laredo, requested anonymity.

The U.S. Consulate in Nuevo Laredo opened for business after being closed for a week as authorities evaluated the safety of employees and visitors at the building, which functions as the U.S. government's office in that city.

"We are satisfied with the guarantees and promises made to Ambassador (Tony) Garza," a U.S. official said. "We are going to be vigilant. Mexico needs to do much more to rid the area of narco-traffickers, kingpins and capos."

Before ordering the consulate re-opened, Garza met behind closed doors with ranking officials in the Fox administration.

"One week ago, I asked the government of Mexico to take swift and what I then called decisive action, and in my view, they have done so," Garza said in a statement released Friday by the U.S. Embassy.

Authorities, including representatives of the federal attorney general's office in Mexico City and the Nuevo Laredo police department, declined to comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

express@cablevision.net.mx


TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Foreign Affairs; Mexico; US: District of Columbia; US: Texas; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: borderwar; nuevolaredo; ontheborder
"....Nuevo Laredo's mayor was traveling in an armored car and using soldiers as bodyguards."

Fallujah on the Rio Grande!

1 posted on 08/09/2005 7:45:20 AM PDT by SwinneySwitch
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: SwinneySwitch

the 1000 troops and federal agents are flocking to nuevo laredo to line up and get their paychecks from the drug dealers


2 posted on 08/09/2005 7:53:11 AM PDT by JohnLongIsland
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: JohnLongIsland

I would suggest we beef up our side of the border too.

If we don't send a larger force to the area we are just stupid.

Not saying they will attack or come across but don't you think it makes sense?


3 posted on 08/09/2005 8:01:26 AM PDT by BookaT (My cat's breath smells like cat food!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: SwinneySwitch
It's not just Nuevo Laredo, we who have places by the border know better than to cross. Tourist still cross thinking they are safe. Every day I watch young people crossing to party.

If our politicians had bolos we would close the border until Mexico got its act together.

4 posted on 08/09/2005 8:03:28 AM PDT by Jarhead1957 (Semper Fi)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Jarhead1957

Our politicians don't and therefore wont. Operation Safe Mexico is another version of the "religion of peace" wheeze we are subject to here.The problem with politicians is they are incapable og distingushing the difference between motion and progress.


5 posted on 08/09/2005 8:25:27 AM PDT by Adrastus (If you don't like my attitude, talk to some one else.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Jarhead1957

Fox sends a 1000 troops,must not be getting his share of the drug money.


6 posted on 08/09/2005 8:28:07 AM PDT by jocko12
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: jocko12
I think you have summed up the problem well.

Also he is probably not getting his share of "fines" from the dumb americans who drive in Mexico.

7 posted on 08/09/2005 8:35:06 AM PDT by Jarhead1957 (Semper Fi)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: austinmark; tyw; NationalistVisionary; whipitgood; Flyer; Jack Black; txroadhawg; ...

NL Ping!

Please FReepmail me if you want on or off this South Texas/Mexico ping list.


8 posted on 08/09/2005 9:36:17 AM PDT by SwinneySwitch (Mexico-beyond your expectations!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: JohnLongIsland
"the 1000 troops and federal agents are flocking to nuevo laredo to line up and get their paychecks from the drug dealers"

This is more true than most people realize. When Fox was elected he sent the Army in to patrol the border. It was only a matter of months before drug runners were being escorted by Army patrols in Hummers armed with machine guns. Drug hits were no longer done by Jose gangster using a hand gun, they were done by soldiers using machine guns.

The high violence on the border right now is partially the result of Fox's original decision to combat drug cartels using the military. The drug cartels have more money than anyone so they can buy all the law enforcement that is sent to oppose them.
9 posted on 08/09/2005 11:30:00 AM PDT by monday
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson