Posted on 03/08/2005 3:29:32 PM PST by Libloather
N.C man in Clinton probe pleads guilty to unrelated charges
the associated press
Tuesday, March 8, 2005
NEW YORK
An Asheville, N.C., businessman involved in the investigation of alleged fund-raising violations during Hillary Rodham Clinton's 2000 Senate campaign pleaded guilty Tuesday to unrelated charges, prosecutors said.
Peter F. Paul, 56, of Asheville, N.C., admitted committing securities fraud in an appearance before U.S. District Judge Leonard D. Wexler in Central Islip, on Long Island.
The charge stemmed from Paul's role in manipulating the price of Stan Lee Media common stock, including transactions in which Paul secretly borrowed money using the stock as collateral, and profiting unlawfully from such manipulations.
The scheme led to investor losses of approximately $25 million, U.S. Attorney Roslynn Mauskopf said in a statement.
Paul was a co-founder of Stan Lee Media Inc., an Internet-based production and marketing company located in Encino, Calif.
Lee, who played a key role in the creation of such Marvel Comics characters as Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk and X-Men, was not implicated in the investigation and is not suspected of any wrongdoing, the prosecutor said.
As part of the plea agreement, Paul faces up to 10 years in prison, a fine of $5 million and restitution, Mauskopf said.
Paul's attorney, Joseph Conway, said, "In Mr. Paul's zeal to build a multinational conglomerate with Stan Lee, he violated the securities laws and he pleaded guilty and took full responsibility for those actions in court."
Three of Paul's co-defendants have previously pleaded guilty, prosecutors said.
In 2000, Paul was the host for a Hollywood fund-raising event for Clinton that is being investigated by the Justice Department.
Clinton's former finance director, David Rosen, pleaded innocent in January to charges of filing fictitious reports with the Federal Election Commission that misstated contributions for the Hollywood gala.
While the event allegedly cost more than $1.2 million, the indictment said, Rosen reported contributions of about $400,000, knowing the figure to be false.
A Clinton spokeswoman did not immediately return a telephone call Tuesday for comment. The senator's lawyer on campaign finance matters, David Kendall, has said previously, "The Senate Campaign Committee has fully cooperated with the investigation. Mr. Rosen worked hard for the campaign, and we trust that when all the facts are in, he will be cleared."
Paul has told federal authorities that the fund-raiser cost more than $1 million and that he had been surprised when he saw that most of the contributions were not reported.
Conway added that the two cases are "two separate and distinct matters. Mr. Paul entered a plea agreement, not a cooperation agreement."
On the Rosen case, Conway said, "If the government needs him as a witness ... he is prepared to cooperate."
They shouldn't use "Hillary" and "probe" in the same sentence. Ick.
someone tied to the clintons pleading guilty to fraud...surely you jest.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.