Yes, he was.
What Wilson Didnt Say About Africa: Joseph Wilson's Silent Partners
10Ward; Wilson, The Politics of Truth, 275-276; "Des Hommes dAffaires Bien Introduits", La Lettre de lOcéan Indien, Number 876, October 23, 1999, online at Africa Intelligence, http://www.africaintelligence.fr/LOI/archives/default_archives.asp?num=876&year=; "Forums: War with Iraq: A Cost-Benefit Analysis", Middle East Policy Council, October 9, 2002, online at http://www.mepc.org/public_asp/forums_chcs/30.asp; Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson, IV, "The Iraq Forum: Informing Iraq Advocates Since 1998: The 2003 Iraq Forum: June 14, 2003, Washington, DC: Evening Public Lecture: A State of the Movement Address: Evening Keynote Lecture", audio online at EPIC: Education for Peace in Iraq Center, http://www.epic-usa.org/Default.aspx?tabid=68&showlogin=1.
1990 : (ON THE EVE OF THE IRAQI INVASION OF KUWAIT [?] OR US ATTACK? A DUBAI UAE MIDDLEMAN OFFERS DR QADEER KHAN'S HELP IN BUILDING AN ATOM BOMB TO IRAQ)It was a Dubai middleman claiming to represent Dr. [Qadeer] Khan who in 1990, on the eve of the Persian Gulf war, offered Dr. Khan's aid to Iraq in building an atom bomb. And it was a Dubai middleman whom Dr. Khan blamed for supplying centrifuge parts to Iran, said a European confidante of Dr. Khan's who spoke on the condition of anonymity.- http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:jsogp_Bjve0J:www.leftwatch.com/discussion/fullthread%24msgnum%3D7594+libya+%22aluminum+tubing%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
AUGUST 1, 1990 : (BAGHDAD, IRAQ? : US DIPLOMAT, DEPUTY CHIEF OF MISSION JOE WILSON AND HIS SECOND WIFE JACQUELINE GIORGI DINE WITH SADDAM HUSSEIN'S CHIEF BUYER OF FRENCH ARMS ON THE EVE OF THE IRAQI INVASION OF KUWAIT [?])The night of August 1, [1990] Wilson had dinner with someone he describes as "Saddam's principal arms buyer in Paris. It was so hot the air was literally shimmering right in front of the windshield. I get to this guy's house, and it had been chilled to 45, 50 degrees ... roaring fire in the fireplace and over in a corner a white baby grand piano and a guy playing classical music on it. The guy looks like a Pancho Villa figure, Mexican bandito.... We sat down to dinner, just him, myself, my wife, and five bodyguards-armed." -- Story link
AUGUST 2, 1990 : (SAMIR VINCENT & ILLINOIS BUSINESSMAN MICHAEL SABA ARE IN BAGHDAD DURING IRAQ'S INVASION OF KUWAIT) SAMIR VINCENT WAS VISITING BAGHDAD when Saddam Hussein ordered the invasion of Kuwait on August 2, 1990. He had not lived in his native Iraq for some three decades, having left in 1958 for the United States and a track-and-field career that would later land him in the Boston College Athletic Hall of Fame. Maybe Vincent's presence in Iraq was simply bad timing. Although Americans were not exactly hostages in the tense days after the invasion, they were not free to leave Iraq. So when Vincent, a naturalized citizen, and Illinois businessman Michael Saba managed to escape by taking a taxicab eight hours to the Jordanian border and hitchhiking the remaining 50 miles to Amman, their adventure was news. Washingtonians who read Keith Kendrick's Washington Post article about the trip, published August 15, 1990, probably gave it little thought. In hindsight, however, the story seems to offer the first clues to the events that culminated last week [Jan 2005] in Vincent's admission that he had accepted millions of dollars to work as an agent for Saddam in the United States. In that Post interview nearly 15 years ago, Vincent downplayed any drama and insisted his journey had been "quite uneventful." Vincent said he believed that even if he were caught fleeing the country "the most the Iraqi authorities could do was to turn us back at the border." And, according to the Post, Vincent "refused to discuss details such as his age or his family" and "said he was reluctant to go into depth about his ordeal because he was 'very tired' by what had happened." All of that might be true. It is also possible that Vincent simply wanted to keep a low profile because he was already working for the Iraqi regime. -------- "Saddam's Man in Washington (The first conviction in the U.N. Oil-for-Food scandal)," Stephen F. Hayes, The Weekly Standard, January 31, 2005
*******
Court documents tell us that Vincent began his activities on Saddam's behalf in "at least" 1992. (Other reports--including one detailed in Fooling America, written by former Newsweek reporter and leftist author Robert Parry--suggest that Vincent left Baghdad in early August 1990, right after the invasion of Kuwait, on a mission. Parry describes Vincent as a high-level intermediary, a messenger for Saddam. According to Parry's account, Vincent approached Col. Carl Bernard, USMC Ret., and former CIA director Richard Helms with an offer from Saddam Hussein. But the first Bush administration rejected these and all other overtures, insisting on an unconditional Iraqi withdrawal from Kuwait.) -------- "Saddam's Man in Washington (The first conviction in the U.N. Oil-for-Food scandal)," Stephen F. Hayes, The Weekly Standard, January 31, 2005