Posted on 10/31/2004 8:48:41 AM PST by Dubya
NEAR FALLUJAH, Iraq - A car bomb killed eight Marines outside Fallujah on Saturday, the deadliest attack against the U.S. military in nearly six months. The Marines later reported a ninth combat death Saturday but did not say whether it was in the car bombing or another action.
The Marines died after a car bomb went off next to a truck southwest of Baghdad, said Maj. Clark Watson of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. Nine other Marines were wounded in the attack in western Anbar province, which includes Fallujah and other insurgent strongholds, the military said.
It was the biggest number of American military deaths in a single day since May 2, when nine U.S. troops were killed in mortar attacks and roadside bombings in Baghdad, Ramadi and Kirkuk.
Separately, the U.S. military pounded guerrilla positions on the outskirts of Fallujah west of Baghdad, where American-led forces are gearing up for a major assault on the insurgent stronghold.
Late Saturday, the decapitated body of Japanese hostage Shosei Koda, 24, was found in an insurgent-infested neighborhood of Baghdad. The Japanese Foreign Ministry confirmed Koda's identity through fingerprints.
An al Qaeda-linked group led by Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi had threatened to behead the Japanese backpacker unless Tokyo withdrew its soldiers from Iraq. Japan rejected that demand.
"It is to our great sorrow that after putting all our efforts into securing his release he has become a victim of terrorism," Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura said today in Tokyo. "We cannot allow this kind of action. Japan, in cooperation with the international community ... must continue the battle against terrorism."
It was a day in which at least 30 people died in politically motivated violence across the country -- stark evidence of a security situation threatening to spiral out of control.
In Baghdad, a car bomb exploded outside the office of the Al-Arabiya TV network, killing seven people and injuring 19 in the biggest attack against a news organization since the occupation began last year. Al-Arabiya is a satellite Arabic-language broadcaster based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The first floor of the building, where staffers were meeting, collapsed, said Saad al-Husseini, a correspondent of MBC, a sister channel of Al-Arabiya based in the same building.
Al-Arabiya's managing editor, Abdulrahman al-Rashed, said seven people remained missing.
A militant group calling itself the 1920 Brigades claimed responsibility for the attack, calling Al-Arabiya "Americanized spies speaking in Arabic tongue" in a statement on a Web site. The station is owned by Saudi investors.
"We have threatened them to no avail that they are the mouthpiece of the American occupation in Iraq," the statement said, warning of more attacks against this "treacherous network." It was impossible to verify the claim's authenticity.
Al-Rashed, an outspoken critic of Islamic militants and terror attacks, said the station will continue to operate from Iraq.
"This is our job, and we won't succumb to pressure," he said from Dubai.
South of Baghdad, witnesses said a U.S. convoy came under attack, prompting Iraqi forces to open fire randomly and throw hand grenades, hitting three minibuses and three vans. At least 14 people were killed, hospital officials said.
American forces are preparing for a major assault on Fallujah in an effort to restore control to a swath of Sunni Muslim towns north and west of the capital before crucial national elections due by Jan. 31.
On Saturday, insurgents fired mortars at Marine positions outside Fallujah. U.S. troops responded with "the strongest artillery barrage in recent weeks," said a Marine spokesman, 1st Lt. Lyle Gilbert.
After militants ambushed and killed four American contractors, mutilated their bodies and hung them from a bridge, Marines mounted a three-week siege of Fallujah in April but called it off after a public outcry over civilian casualties.
This time, U.S. officials insist that the final order for an all-out attack will come from Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi and that Iraqi forces will join the fight. American officials estimate that up to 5,000 Islamic militants, Saddam Hussein loyalists and common criminals are holed up in Fallujah.
Very sad that there is no public out cry about dead American Marines.
There are a few of us who are going to remember this war for the rest of our lives.
Errr, this news is about 1 1/2 days old. Thanks anyway and oh, btw, we won WW2 just in case you were planning to post that next.
I can see it now...after Nov. 2nd unleash hell.
I Guess I will hold off most of my comments about the way we are fighting this war (i know its not a war the President told me the war is over.) until after the poles close Nov. 2.
Your sarcasm is unwarrented. Grow up, newbie.
Yes we won WW2. Its the last war we won. We have traded lives in the rest of them.
BTW how many of the wars have you fought in big shot?
Thanks for your information.
I suspect JoeV1 is a troll, looking to stir up dissent among freepers.
Either a troll or just a jerk.
Thank you very much.
Dub
I consider that we won the cold war.
2 slick, how about you?
The real question would be "What is a War?".
Does it have to be a national effort? Or could it be four guys in the dark squared off against 20? To the four guys they would think they were in a war.
Not everything is in the newspapers or online.
Pray for the heroes families; Jehovah God Bless America and its Warriors!
I am sorry America persons :{{{{{{ I am sorry
Sun, Oct. 31, 2004
Iraqi leader says Fallujah negotiations in 'final phase' but 'patience wearing thin'
By Sameer N. Yacoub
The Associated Press
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Iraq's interim prime minister said Sunday that efforts to peacefully resolve the conflict in Fallujah have entered their final phase and warned that "our patience is running thin," vowing to clear the city of militants who have carried out some of the bloodiest attacks in Iraq.
Ayad Allawi's strong comments signaled that the start may be near for a major assault on Fallujah that U.S. forces have been preparing. Allawi warned there would likely be civilian casualties if an offensive takes place.
U.S. commanders say Allawi will give the final order to launch the assault, which would aim to restore control to Sunni Muslim towns north and west of the capital ahead of Jan 31 elections.
As night fell in the Iraqi capital, the rumble of powerful explosions could be heard coming from the edge of the city. The cause of the explosions could not be determined.
Speaking to reporters in Baghdad, Allawi vowed that the elections, a key step in plans to move Iraq toward democracy, "will take place on schedule." The country's deteriorating security situation has led to doubts that nationwide voting can take place in Iraq.
Allawi said there was no deadline for talks with Fallujah leaders aimed at finding a peaceful resolution. But he said if no deal is reached, "I have no choice but to secure a military solution."
"I will do so with a heavy heart, for even with the most careful plan there will be some loss of innocent lives," he said. "But I owe, owe it to the Iraqi people to defend them from the violence and the terrorists and insurgents."
"The terrorists and insurgents continue to use Fallujah and the Fallujah people as a shield for their murderous acts," Allawi said. "Some of the most incredible crimes have been committed in Fallujah and out of Fallujah by these terrorists."
Fallujah, west of Baghdad, is considered the strongest bastion of Sunni insurgents who have carried out a spiraling campaign of bombings, ambushes and kidnappings. Allawi's warning came after a particularly bloody day even by the standards of this conflict-ravaged country.
In all, at least 30 people died Saturday in politically motivated violence across Iraq -- stark evidence of a security situation threatening to spiral out of control.
Among them were eight Marines killed by a car bomb near Fallujah. The U.S. military earlier said a ninth Marine was also killed but later corrected the report, confirming the death toll of eight.
Also, early Sunday, the Japanese government confirmed that the decapitated body of a young Asian male -- found wrapped in an American flag and dumped in an insurgent-infested neighborhood of Baghdad -- was that of Japanese hostage Shosei Koda, 24, said Japanese Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura.
Koda's abduction was claimed by the al Qaeda in Iraq group, led by Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who Iraqi and U.S. leaders claim is in Fallujah. Allawi has demanded Fallujah's city leaders hand over al-Zarqawi to avoid an attack, thought the leaders deny he is there.
Allawi said he had met with tribal leaders from the area Saturday and told them "the window for such peaceful settlement is closing."
"I explained that I hoped that the peaceful citizens of the areas where the terrorists are based will help the government to arrest them," he said. "They assured me that they would work with my government to achieve this."
Allawi also said authorities have arrested 167 Arab foreign fighters, who are in Iraq's custody.
In preparation for an offensive, hundreds of British troops have moved into an area south of Baghdad to free up American forces for operations west of Baghdad. British press reports said four mortar shells landed early Sunday at a British camp south of Fallujah. Two rockets also exploded at the perimeter of the airport in the southern city of Basra where the British contingent has its headquarters.
There were no casualties or serious damage in either attack, British media reports said.
U.S. commanders have estimated that up to 5,000 Islamic militants, Saddam Hussein loyalists and common criminals are holed up in the insurgent bastion.
U.S. Marines carried out a three-week siege of Fallujah in April, but when hundreds of people were killed, the military was forced to back down. Insurgents have since tightened their grip on the city, and several other cities in the Sunni Triangle north and west of Baghdad have fallen under their sway.
For the second straight day, clashes erupted Sunday between U.S. forces and insurgents in the town of Ramadi, 70 miles west of Baghdad, leaving seven people dead, according to hospital officials.
The fighting broke out in the eastern and central part of the city. Sporadic gunfire could be heard near City Hall. Shops and schools in the area have been closed for days due to the deteriorating security situation, residents said.
On Saturday, U.S. forces pounded insurgent positions on the outskirts of Fallujah in some of the heaviest skirmishes in weeks. Marines and guerrillas traded mortar and artillery fire, and U.S. jets bombed positions inside the city.
The Marine deaths came when a car bomb went off next to a truck southwest of Baghdad, between the capital and Fallujah, said Maj. Clark Watson of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. It was the biggest number of American military deaths in a single day since May 2, when nine U.S. troops were killed in separate mortar attacks and roadside bombings in Baghdad, Ramadi and Kirkuk.
I'm off to work. Have a good day all. Back later.
Dub
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.