Posted on 04/13/2004 1:57:57 PM PDT by yonif
Police and the Shin Bet cracked a 10-member weapons smuggling ring, they announced Tuesday.
The five Egyptians, four Beduin from the Negev, and a Palestinian from Nablus are suspected of smuggling the weapons from Egypt via Sinai and selling them to terrorists in the Palestinian Authority-controlled areas.
The head of the ring is Egyptian Mahmoud Sawarka. The authorities also netted 140 Kalashnikov assault rifles, two RPG launchers, RPGs, and vast amounts of ammunition.
Police estimated that the Egyptians all residents of Sinai received requests from terrorist organizations, acquired the weapons, crossed into Israel, and left them at a designated location. The Beduin allegedly retrieved the weapons, which eventually made their way to the Palestinian who sold them to the terrorist groups.
Security officials did not rule out the possibility that arms had already reached terrorist organizations prior to the suspects' arrests.
The arrests were the culmination of a months-long operation, codenamed Egyptian Exodus.
Two months ago, based on intelligence, security forces caught two Beduin with 20 rifles. They revealed details of the smuggling network and the identities of others in the ring. Last week, security forces intercepted a RPG launcher, bombs, and other weapons.
"We view gravely the involvement of Israeli citizens in such a network and the fact that the weapons were to be used in attacks against Israeli civilians and soldiers. The arrests reveal that criminal motives is a fruitful platform for terrorist activities," Southern District police chief Cmdr. Moshe Karadi told reporters.
"The weapons were to be sold to terrorist organizations. We are aware of their need for weapons and ammunition, and the ongoing operations by security forces causes them to seek alternative routes to smuggle weapons in," Insp.-Gen. Shlomo Aharonishky said.
Some of the detainees have already been remanded by Beersheba Magistrate's Court.
Sources in the Shin Bet noted that the smugglers' route is similar to the one used by terrorists from the Gaza Strip to infiltrate Israel.
Officials said all the terrorist groups operating in the Gaza Strip and in Judea and Samaria continue in their efforts to launch attacks and focus on attacks that will cause large numbers of casualties.
Recently arrested Fatah Tanzim terrorists in Nablus revealed plans to dispatch a suicide attacker with a bomb containing HIV-infected blood. This is only one of the ideas conjured up, said one official. "While the HIV virus was no more than an idea planted in their minds, what is cause for concern is the increasingly intense involvement of Hizbullah in the territories," he said.
"In the past we learned of plans by terrorists to use cyanide in attacks, but without a doubt Hizbullah has become increasingly involved. They raise new ideas or tactics to be adopted by the local terror groups and relay their knowledge and details of preparations and requirements for such attacks either over the phone or via e-mail to elements in the territories," he said.
"Sums ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 are sent from Hizbullah operatives to the territories as bank transfers or in the guise of charities," the official said. "Sometimes bank transfers are sent to a European country and from there to China and the money eventually winds up in a Jordanian bank and is sent to the territories."
The Nablus Fatah Tanzim infrastructure continues to function because several of its leaders remain at large, he said, including senior commanders Imad Akouba and Naif Abu Sharach, Nader Abu Leil, and Ismail Kharaz, who was responsible for dispatching the minors who were caught at the Hawara checkpoint with bombs last month.
Also on Tuesday, a bomb was thrown at troops in Nablus and a second found and detonated safely. The soldiers had surrounded a six-story apartment building in an attempt to nab Hamas member Jafar Masri. After several hours, it appeared he was not inside, and the troops began to pull out of the city. As they exited, one bomb was thrown and the other found. The soldiers detained his wife and brother Azmi for questioning.
In the morning, soldiers arrested 17 fugitives in raids in Al-Aroub north of Hebron, Al-Aida refugee camp north of Bethlehem, Silwad, A-Lebed east of Tulkarm, Ein Beit Ilma north of Nablus, and Mizra a-Sharkia northwest of Ramallah.
Tuesday evening in the West Bank, a bus driver suffered smoke inhalation when three firebombs were thrown at his bus as he drove in Gush Etzion. There were no passengers in the bus.
In the Gaza Strip, shots were fired at soldiers near Nitzarim and at a post on the Karni-Nitzarim Road.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.