Posted on 04/12/2004 8:20:55 AM PDT by knighthawk
BERLIN - The Foreign Ministry on Monday warned Germans to leave Iraq after two security officials were ambushed and presumed to be dead.
The ministry also warned against travel to Kuwait, where it said there is also a "high security risk."
Fighting has been heavy in Iraq for the past week, and several civilians have either been kidnapped or killed.
Aktion Deutschland Hilft, the umbrella organization for German humanitarian aid groups, said the six Germans who had been in Iraq working on projects pulled out over the weekend, with the final two reaching Amman, Jordan, on Monday.
Two security agents for the German Embassy in Baghdad have been missing for several days are most likely dead, the Foreign Ministry said Sunday.
The men, identified in media reports as Tobias R., 25, and Thomas H., 38, are both members of the elite GSG-9 unit of the German Federal Border Police. They were traveling from Amman to Baghdad Wednesday and were ambushed near Fallujah, according to the ministry.
Some 60 Germans are thought to be in Iraq, largely journalists or people married to Iraqis and living permanently in the country.
Germany has no troops in Iraq.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.