Posted on 12/29/2003 12:49:32 PM PST by bdeaner
Iraq reconstruction on hold
December 29, 2003
BY ROBERT NOVAK SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST
A pall was cast over Christmas for disappointed U.S. government civilians in Baghdad when they received word two weeks ago that the $18.6 billion for Iraq's reconstruction rushed through Congress in November was indefinitely on hold. They have been told not to issue ''requests for proposal,'' which surely will extend the promised Feb. 1 date for contract awards.
No announcement of the slowdown has been made, though the Pentagon has confirmed published reports. The closely held decision to hold up the process was made in Washington, with no explanation to anybody out of the Defense Department's inner circle -- not even to the Pentagon's own minions in Baghdad. The informed speculation is that the Bush administration is rethinking whether countries that opposed the Iraqi intervention should be cut off from reconstruction.
Whatever the cause of the delay, its impact is undeniable. It postpones the flood of dollars into Iraq and the visible improvement of Iraq's infrastructure, which U.S. military and civilians there have expected would suppress support for guerrilla activity. Unprepared for what was required after the military triumph last May, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's team in Washington is still a step behind in capitalizing on the capture of Saddam Hussein.
Nobody is more disappointed by these latest developments than retired Adm. David J. Nash, a civil engineer in Baghdad running the office in charge of managing the $18.6 billion in infrastructure reconstruction. Nash, who headed a construction firm in Warren, Mich., after 33 years in the Navy, came to Baghdad as part of the new team of technocrats sent to rebuild the country.
Industrial leaders invited to meetings in Washington and London had been informed that contracts would be awarded Feb. 1, with construction to begin soon thereafter. When word of the delay seeped out after Saddam was taken into custody, the Defense Department told the Engineering News-Record on Dec. 16: ''This is an incredibly complex process.'' Last Friday, a Pentagon spokesman told this column that the requests for proposal ''are the responsibility'' of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad.
Actually, the delay was ordered in Washington as a consequence of Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz's widely criticized order of Dec. 5 that barred Germany, France, Russia and China from reconstruction contracts. As special envoy James Baker negotiated with these countries for forgiveness of Iraqi debt, the expectation in Baghdad was that they eventually will be ordered from Washington to issue their requests with all countries now eligible to bid.
However, officials at the CPA ask privately, will the United States in return get the dispatch of French and German troops to Iraq to share in the fighting and dying? Or, alternatively, might French and German soldiers go to Afghanistan or at least the Balkans to replace Americans, releasing them for service elsewhere? If George W. Bush does not make such a deal and opens up the construction bids in return for just debt forgiveness, one official told me, ''it will appear the president has been snookered.''
There is no disagreement inside the U.S. team that the national interest would be best served the more quickly Iraqi rebuilding begins. This will begin to cut into Iraq's huge unemployed labor pool and invigorate the economy. In addition, it may provide evidence of the U.S. long-term commitment to rebuilding the country.
The terrorists will do their best to disrupt reconstruction projects, but the power of elements waging guerrilla warfare suffers from losing the source of devotion of what CPA officials call the ''Cult of Saddam.'' Since his capture, his followers and other guerrillas have stepped up the pace of their attacks. But U.S. intelligence is cutting into Saddam's support networks, and the military struggle is turning into a genuine police action. What's needed now is the rapid utilization of that $18.6 billion to rebuild Iraq, and that is why the unexplained slowdown is so frustrating.
the delay was ordered in Washington as a consequence of Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz's widely criticized order of Dec. 5 that barred Germany, France, Russia and China from reconstruction contracts. As special envoy James Baker negotiated with these countries for forgiveness of Iraqi debt, the expectation in Baghdad was that they eventually will be ordered from Washington to issue their requests with all countries now eligible to bid.
Why do they keep blaming poor Wolfowitz for this?
This was Bush doctrine from the get-go. Does anyone think that Wolfy went off on his own and this forced Bush to give all those speeches explaining the policy. You'd have to be a real dope to think so. Apparently Novak doesn't listen to Bush or, if the facts were known, he has some axe to grind with Wolfowitz who probably won't give him the time of day.
My guess is: Beaurocratic Delay. Washington D.C. is not capable of brushing their teeth on schedule. They have never had a development program that started or finished on time and I speak from over 40 years of experience in the defense business dealing with DOD. Well, they made it to the moon before the decade was out so there are exceptions. But Iraq reconstruction is not likely to be one.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.