Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Sensitive Israeli Missile Test Mistakenly Broadcast Via Sattelite
Space News ^ | 11-10-2003 | Barbara Opall-Rome

Posted on 11/13/2003 2:41:19 PM PST by boris

Source: Space News, November 10, 2003, page 3

Israel's Long Range Artillery (LORA) missile burst from secrecy's shadows last week, much sooner than the Ministry of Defense or the prime contractor had planned.

It wasn't a calculated media campaign or a high-profile exhibition at an international trade show that heralded the LORAs debut. Instead, a secret Nov. 5 test of the developmental missile was inadvertently broadcast via satellite from the restrictedaccess launch control room of government-owned Israel Aircraft Industries Ltd.

(LIU).

To make matters worse, the missile failed miserably in the sea-launched trial, spiraling wildly out of control before plunging into the Mediterranean.

The embarrassing show - broadcast by Israel's IAI-developed Amos 1 communication satellite - was available to anyone in the Middle East and points in Europe equipped with an ordinary 1-meter antenna dish.

"This blunder had nothing to do with a specific satellite, and everything to do with the weird and inexplicable fact that the transmission was not encrypted," said David Pollack, managing director of SpaceCom Ltd., operator of the Amos satellite. "Any satellite could have picked it up, since it all depended on where they pointed their dish. The fact that this normal, civilian transmission was carried by Amos 1 appears to have added insult to injury."

The disclosure led officials from the Ministry of Defense and IAI officials to acknowledge the system's existence -- first reported Sept. 22 in Defense News - but its newly acquired public profile did not persuade them to provide operational or technical details of the missile.

One Israeli source described the solid-fueled LORA as a hybrid missile and artillery projectile. "This missile is something in between," the source said. "You can say it's a semi-ballistic missile or a semi-cruise missile or a large, guided rocket system."

According to the source, LORA is designed to carry a heavy warhead weighing about 600 kilograms at ranges that are unlikely to exceed 200 kilometers. In a previous test, the missile traveled some 180 kilometers. LORA is designed to be mounted on ships, trucks or towed vehicles.

`A Marketing Presentation'

In a Nov. 6 statement - following a heavily censored broadcast of the test by Israel's Channel 10 News - Ministry of Defense spokeswoman Rachel Naidek-Ashkenazi noted that the missile was considered unclassified, and that the test was conducted purely for marketing purposes.

"The test was conducted within the framework of a marketing presentation and defined as unclassified," according to the statement. "The fact that there was a satellite communications line is a mishap that will be investigated and proper conclusions will be reached."

Naidek-Ashkenazi said that in classified missile tests, the Israeli defense establishment uses fully encrypted frequencies, not commercial ones, to broadcast video and voice data to viewers of IAI's inhouse, closed-circuit network.

Nevertheless, Alon Ben-David, the senior defense correspondent from Israel's Channel 10 news who initially broke the story Nov. 5, said the Minstry of Defense put tremendous pressure on him and his management to refrain from broadcasting the missile launch.

In a Nov. 6 interview, Ben-David said initial satellite broadcasts picked up by a Channel 10 technician included not only video from IAI's secure control room, but sensitive technical data about the missile's range, flight path and other military systems used to conduct and monitor the test.

Even more astounding, noted BenDavid, were audible exchanges among senior industry officials and technicians gathered in the control room to witness the launch. He said the uncensored version of the satellite broadcast included discussions of computer passwords and access codes associated with the missile launch.

Among those filmed and recorded by mistake were Moshe Keret, IAI chief executive officer; Maj. Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi, deputy chief of the Israel Defense Forces General Staff; Maj. Gen. Yiftah Ron-Tal, head of Land Forces Command; and Rear Adm. Eli Marom, deputy commander of the Israel Navy.

"Like any TV station, we have our own satellite dishes, and every morning we routinely screen all the known channels," Ben-David said. "A couple days before the launch, our technician just stumbled on this, and, initially, we didn't understand what we were watching. It didn't make any sense. We thought for sure, in a minute or two, they'd fix it and stop the broadcast. But it just went on and on."

Ben-David said Channel 10 ultimately subjected their story to Israeli military censors, who blocked out missile performance data, images of many military personnel present, and sensitive conversations picked up among dignitaries in attendance.

"We submitted our report to the censor, but what about the intelligence agencies of any hostile country in the region -- from Libya to Lebanon -- who could easily have stumbled on the broadcast just like we did," Ben-David said.

`A Terrible Incident'

Ephraim Sneh, chairman of the Israeli parliament's subcommittee for defense planning, said the security breach was particularly grave, despite the defense establishment's efforts to minimize the damage to national security.

"This was a terrible incident; and it requires a thorough investigation. And those who are responsible for such damaging blunders must be punished," said Sneh, a former deputy minister of defense with close ties to the defense industry and the military establishment.

As for the role of IAI, or the industry-monitoring self-policing unit within the Ministry of Defense responsible for maintaining security at all defense industrial facilities, a senior government official did not rule out negligence, but also left open the possibility of sabotage.

Although this official declined to speak for the record, he suggested that in socalled point-to-point broadcasts, "anyone with an antennae pointed in the same direction can pick up the transmission."

The official declined to explain why, then, transmission of the sensitive missile test was not fully encrypted.

"We're investigating, from a technical and a procedural point of view, the flaws from yesterday [Nov. 5] afternoon," said Doron Suslik, IAI deputy vice president of corporate communications. "We'd like to think that hackers just can't tap in."

Suslik insisted that the missile or the subject of the test itself was not classified, although the inadvertent broadcast proved to be an embarrassing breach of proprietary data that could damage future business prospects.


TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Israel; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: broadcast; missile; sensitive; test
How do you say "D'oh" in Hebrew?
1 posted on 11/13/2003 2:41:21 PM PST by boris
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: boris
D'oh-vey!
2 posted on 11/13/2003 2:42:38 PM PST by Frank_Discussion (May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: boris
They read from right to left, so I guess it would be ho'D...
3 posted on 11/13/2003 2:43:47 PM PST by Cogadh na Sith (The Guns of Brixton)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: boris
This sounds like something "60 Minutes" might like to cover.
4 posted on 11/13/2003 2:58:53 PM PST by thinktwice (Thank God for freedom, the internet, and FreeRepublic.com.,)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: boris
Old news. Also, do you really think it was unintentional, ro do you maybe think this "accident" was meant to send a message that reverberated from Tripoli to Teheran?
5 posted on 11/13/2003 3:28:10 PM PST by anotherview ("Ignorance is the choice not to know" -Klaus Schulze)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: boris
I think we did this one a few times.
6 posted on 11/13/2003 3:29:00 PM PST by Consort
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: anotherview
I'm with you!

The first time I read this I knew that this was no accident, it was a warning. The Isrealis don't dick around like we do, they take the bull by the butt and start kicking. It's a way of saying, "You really play mess around with us"? Good for them!

7 posted on 11/13/2003 3:32:59 PM PST by timydnuc (qFR)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: anotherview
Old news. Also, do you really think it was unintentional, ro do you maybe think this "accident" was meant to send a message that reverberated from Tripoli to Teheran?

The launch failed miserably. So maybe message from Tripoli to Tehran is that "Zionist Entity has not yet perfected rocket-boosted artillery." No, this was just stupidity.

8 posted on 11/13/2003 3:55:42 PM PST by Alter Kaker (Whatever tears one may shed, in the end one always blows one’s nose.-Heine)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson