Skip to comments.Brown Shirts at ECU
Posted on 02/21/2013 3:19:03 PM PST by Kaslin
East Carolina University (ECU) has launched a new campaign that attempts to pressure employees to affirm homosexuality despite their religious and moral objections to the lifestyle. Couched in the language of safety and inclusion, the program promises to brand as intolerant those who refuse to accept the university's official position on matters of private sexual morality. This is especially problematic, given that ECU is a public university.
The campaign was launched with a profoundly unwise email, sent by university employee Summer Wisdom under the subject line "Gay? Fine by me." She begins:
"This spring the LGBT Resource Office (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) is hosting a program called 'Gay? Fine By Me' and we would love for you and your department to share in this opportunity. The LGBTRO will be ordering shirts that say 'gay? fine by me' and distributing them to faculty, staff and students to promote an atmosphere of support on campus. This simple message helps to combat homophobia by publically (sic) affirming our LGBT community and creating an inclusive environment where all students can feel safe to express who they are. The shirts will be distributed free of charge, though the LGBTRO welcomes donations to the project."
Note that Wisdom, while not demonstrating wisdom, does demonstrate honesty in two ways. First, she admits that affirmation, rather than tolerance, is the goal of her movement. Second, she characterizes refusal to affirm homosexuality as evidence of a "phobia," which needs to be combatted. Her position is simple: Pro gay is fine by me. Anything else is not fine by me. She continues her assault on reason:
"Everyone will be encouraged to wear the shirts on campus and to participate in a campus wide ally project where we will create a Human Rainbow during the annual Barefoot on the Mall celebration. Photos of this massive showing of LGBT support will be publicized on the LGBTROs website and social media accounts."
Wow. Everyone will be encouraged to wear a t shirt saying "Gay? Fine by me." Why? Because they know there is opposition on the campus and they need to combat it. In other words, they are going to promote inclusion on campus by "encouraging" people to promote a message with which they disagree. Then they will take a picture to preserve a record of those who conformed. These are the same people who oppose prayer in schools because they think kids will be stigmatized for refusing to bow their heads. She continues:
"The LGBTRO would also like to create an internal marketing campaign by taking pictures of ECU faculty, staff, administrators, student leaders and student groups wearing the shirts. This is where you come in. If you, your department or office, or the student group you advise would like to participate, you can reserve the correct number of shirts on the org sync order form below. Shirts will be distributed March 18th - 20th on Wright Plaza, at the LGBTRO ... times and location for the photo shoot will be emailed to everyone who reserves shirts or picks one up at Wright Plaza."
In other words, just in case the photo at the Human Rainbow event fails to identify all dissenters, Ms. Wisdom will arrange for departmental photo shoots. So, for example, if there are ten professors in a department and only nine in a picture, we all know who needs an extra nudge in keeping up with "diversity" and "progress." One could say of the photos that if you're not included, then you're not inclusive. She continues:
"The picture will be yours for your own marketing materials but will also be part of a campus wide poster campaign of Pirate Allies. We are also willing to bring a photographer to you if you are part of a large group or department and would like the photo to take place in your own building or during a pre-arranged meeting instead of walking everyone over to our photo shoot. Please communicate with my (sic) directly if you would like to set up something like this. This is a wonderful opportunity to be a part of something great while showcasing support for positive change on ECUs campus."
Why not offer to put rainbow stickers on the doors - and rainbow buttons on the lapels - of all staff and faculty members who support the cause? That way, when their "Gay? Fine by me" t shirts are dirty, they can have something to transfer from garment to garment. For those who disagree, just give them yellow stars (or come over and sew them on their outer garments). She continues:
"If you or your department would like to participate, the link below will take you to an order form on OrgSync where you are provided multiple options: 1. Reserve the correct number of shirts and sizes for your group, 2. Reserve your shirts AND make a donation to the project, 3. Make a donation to the project without ordering shirts. (Donations to the project of $500.00 or more will add your office or departments logo to the event publicity flyers as a sponsor)."
Well, that was a real shocker, wasn't it? After all that preaching, she had to ask the congregation for money. Finally, Wisdom signs off:
"Summer Wisdom, LGBT Resource Office, Sociology Instructor."
So Ms. Wisdom teaches sociology. Another shocker! No wonder she is so fixated on ideological conformity. The question is whether ECU department heads will use these photo ops as an opportunity to pressure people of faith into promoting beliefs that conflict with their deeply held religious convictions. The answer is in my next column.
Anita Bryant was RIGHT!!!
I wonder if outside groups can get in on the free shirts. imagine them being overwhelmed by tens of thousands of requests for the free t shirts.
Women's lib and the homosexual lobby have in common the premise that men and women are interchangeable. If you accept that premise you are accepting the homosexual and feminist agendas.
It is hardly a phobia to take actions to protect the health and safety of the population. Supporting the gay life style, supporting gay marriage, is supporting added risk to the mental and physical health of the population, because sexual perversion increases risk of mental illness, STDs, and reduced life span of the participants.
Why would anyone with common sense demand that all increase risk for such specious reasoning on the basis of some kind of warped and twisted Utopian view of life?
She's gearing up for the Derby.
She's gearing up for the Derby.
E-Z U has bigger problems than this, like the fact that it’s a crap school and a laughingstock in the NC university system.
I’m glad they’re tackling the big problems first.
Me thinketh some are not...
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
A real shame. I visited ECU back in 1990 right after I got my undergraduate degree. Nice campus and town. And I still remember the very nice looking girls as well too ! LOL
My thing on homosexuality. I disagree with it, it is immoral and lastly, I don’t want to know if someone is not straight. IMHO, it should not be talked about. When I teach part time in the classroom, I teach my subject matter and not talk politics or anything else.
For those who disagree, just give them yellow stars (or come over and sew them on their outer garments).
Just what the heck does that mean? Would those be six-pointed yellow stars by any chance? Will they say, "Homophobe" on them?
Please tell me I didn't read that, or--at least--I'm interpreting it wrong.
I wonder how many people on that campus will have the courage to “opt out”?
To be followed by Winter Stupidity.
You probably cling to GUNS as well!
BTW... you don't need an OPINION!
Ephesians 5:12 (NIV)
For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.
If we do not reprove the sins of others, we have fellowship with them.
what shall we do when they rub our faces in it 24/7?
There are hardly any programs on tv that does NOT have some fags in it these days!
That comes only after Fall Into Sin.
Please tell me I didn’t read that, or—at least—I’m interpreting it wrong.
...I do believe it was an interjection by the author of the article, in an effort at sarcasm...
Im glad theyre tackling the big problems first.
...speaking of tackling...can’t wait until the football team is mandated to wear this logo on the uniform instead of the names...I mean, it being such a good idea and all that...
I’ve been reading this guy’s articles for some time and this one screams a question that’s been in the back of my mind since I started reading these articles, i.e., why in the world is this guy still working at ECU??????? Really, I mean if ever there was an example of wrong place/wrong time/wrong person, this is surely it. Really strange; he seems intelligent enough. I can’t imagine its lack of imagination. Sheeesh, someone suggest U-Haul to this guy; he needs to get outa there and get a life somewhere!
He works at UNC-Wilmington, where he got tenure before his religious conversion. He doesn’t leave because he needs a salary, and a known conservative is never going to get tenure at most universities.
The easiest way to combat this lunacy is to tell them you are gay and you oppose it.
Their beanied little heads will explode.
Well, a free T-shirt ain't a bad thing.
I assume there's no agreement they'd have to sign not to modify it?
This highlights my growing resentment towards the LGBT crowd.
The truth is — rather than being filled with hatred and fear - as they seem to believe, I spend most of my time not thinking about them at all.
But they are so hung up on themselves they can’t stand that.
They are demanding we change our traditions, our institutions, and even our language - to pacify them.
But even that is not enough - now we must always have them foremost on our minds as well.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.