Skip to comments.Breaking Down Obama's 23 Executive Orders
Posted on 01/16/2013 1:57:43 PM PST by SampleMan
The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
- Followed by my observations on their relevance.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
- Why arent they already doing this? And are you including illegal aliens, because something tells me you arent.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
- Must be talking about Federally mandated COBRA laws, that have made it a felony to do just that.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
- Has this really been a problem? Any high profile crimes where this was a factor?
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
- Why arent they already doing this? Or do they mean to define all bitter clingers as dangerous? Again, Im wondering about those illegal aliens, is the Fed finally going to make that information available to law enforcement?
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
- And why would seized guns be returned, Oh yea, because the charge, arrest, etc. was invalid, or the person was found to be innocent. Again, has this been a problem?
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
- Private sellers? What does that mean? A private seller doesnt go through an FFL dealer. What is being proposed here?
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
- The NRA already does this. But I presume that the Federal gov. will define responsible as "not at all".
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
- Ive never seen a single story about a malfunctioning gun lock or safe. Is that really a problem?
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
- Once again, why arent they already doing this? And will this apply to Federal gun running, as in Fast and Furious?
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
- And again, why arent they already doing this? Will the owners get their stolen guns back?????
11. Nominate an ATF director.
-Nobody is running the ATF? Really? Well that explains a lot.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
- That would appear to be a state and local responsibility, but if the Federal Government has more money than it can currently spend without running into something like a debt ceiling, then well by all means, throw some money at the problem.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
- Why arent they already doing this? Im guessing that there will be more of the former than the latter, in the form of harassing legal gun owners.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
- Gun violence is a disease? Really? Let me guess, they will find that countries without personal rights have fewer firearm deaths, but they wont mention the massively higher rates of rape, assault, and forced entry in those same countries.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
- Here are a couple of hints: dont point the muzzle at anything you arent OK killing, and dont leave guns where witless individuals will play with them.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
- You mean the Affordable Care Act that has increased taxes and insurance rates? Well, Im OK with MDs asking about guns and other weapons when it has a medical purpose, such as a patient with mental illness, just as long as the MD isnt required to ask and patients are required to respond.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
- If the Feds hadnt prosecuted so many health care providers for just such actions, based on Federal COBRA laws, perhaps this would be a non-issue, as it was before COBRA laws.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
- Again, that would appear to be a state and local responsibility, but if the Federal Government has more money than it can currently spend without running into something like a debt ceiling, then well by all means, throw some money at the problem.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
- Great. I thought that is what the Feds did after Columbine and after 9-11. Isnt that what all of the military equipment and training that is flowing from the Federal government to local PDs was all about?
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
- Again, that would appear to be a state and local responsibility, but if the Federal Government has more money than it can currently spend without running into something like a debt ceiling, then well by all means, throw some money at the problem .Oh wait, that is an unfunded mandate isnt it? Ah yes. You get the credit, and the states get the bill.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
- It would help if ACA (Obama Care) exchanges had any guidelines at all, but you have never found the time to tell the states exactly what the requirements are, which is why only a handful of states have even bothered setting these exchanges up.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
- I thought we were going to find out what was in Obamacare after it was passed. I guess after is still an open ended time frame.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
- Are National Dialogues anything like Listening Tours and Town Hall Meetings, if so, please dont bother.
Keep calling your Reps (Fed & State), keep buying guns, keep buying ammo, go to the range and join a pro-2nd-amendment group. Don’t let up on these commie bastards one bit.
“Ive never seen a single story about a malfunctioning gun lock or safe. Is that really a problem?”
They will find that a Fort Knox safe does not offer enough protection from forced entry, and the “gun lockers” at WalMart are even worse.
The government specs a Class 5 safe as being OK. Can you afford one, will your floor take the weight of one? Or three.
They aren’t executive orders.
Number 9 is an odd one. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
Basically, you are going to hunt in Tennessee, and leave your southern Georgia home on Friday morning. Half-way there...you get stopped by some county wannabe cops. They see the hunting rifles in the trunk, and decide that this warrants a criminal investigation...thus seizing your guns. Naturally, this will take an entire day, and the odds are...they won’t release the guns until Monday morning. Your choice? Spend at least one night at a local hotel, or drive home to forget the hunt, and return the next week to retrieve your guns.
This would be a heavily abused deal and would help local economies generate more hotel stays.
On the surface, these appear too innocuous, but like the one about training gun sellers about private transfers, either the other shoe is going to fall, or some jurisdictions mandate this.
One of the REAL issues with gun laws is the plethora of conflicting, contradictory and confusing rules, regulations and laws by individual jurisdictions.
OK. I’ve read them all now and found that they are completely worthless but has he done anything to out right ban anything?
He can bloviate all he wants as long as he doesn’t make any new laws on his own or bypass the constitution. Obama’s full of s***, nothing new here that I can see.
What happens if my doctor asks if I own any guns (he won’t) and I lie and tell him no? Is it now illegal to lie to a doctor?
“14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence. “
Clinton used CDC to prepare clearly bogus reports about “gun violence” (I see from the news that you MUST say violence after you say gun), so Congress passed a law stopping that. I don’t remember the details. Maybe it was an EO or PDD from GHWB.
#13 Would that include prosecuting DOJ and BATF employees for violating gun laws and committing gun crimes?
Oh, he left out the most important part. These 23 jokes must spend $500 million!
By the way, is there any law on the books that says I even have to own gun locks or a gun safe? I don’t own any such items. My gun is worthless in a safe. It’s doing quite well on the night stand by my bed, it’s been there for several years now and still hasn’t shot anybody.
“15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies. “
Fascist directives to manufacturers, to make “smart guns” or “microstamping guns” or guns with mag safeties, chamber indicators, radio trackers, or anything else to make them too expensive or impractical.
Do you mean HIPPA, instead of COBRA?
Given the current slate of nominees for vacancies, I suppose we can expect Hizzoner Michael Bloomberg to be nominated.
I thought HIPPA was part of COBRA, but yes, specifically it is HIPPA that I'm referring to.
Some states have “safe storage laws”.
We already have laws against murder and criminal conspiracies.
“What happens if my doctor asks if I own any guns (he wont) and I lie and tell him no? Is it now illegal to lie to a doctor?”
No, I don’t own A gun, why do you ask? are you also going to ask if I excerise my right to vote?, assemble?, practise my religeon? to excerise my right to speak?
One of my Doctors and I have already had this conversation but only as part of political discussion.
You're not under oath, and he's not a law enforcement official, so you have no legal obligation to tell him the truth. I will tell the doc "no," be polite, pay the bill and never use said doc again. Smart-ass answers will get you put on the list, and I don't want to make it any easier for the statists to do what they'd like.
However, I've never been asked about this issue by a doc before.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.