Skip to comments.Mumbai: Man Dies After Being Sucked Into MRI Machine; Doctor, Ward Boy Arrested
Posted on 01/29/2018 11:27:38 AM PST by nickcarraway
The death highlights a major issue civic-run hospitals have patients relatives have to conduct work meant for hospitals class II and III employees.
A 32-year-old man died at BYL Nair Municipal Hospital in Mumbai on Saturday night after he was reportedly sucked into a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine while holding a metallic oxygen cylinder in his hand. Three people, including a doctor, have been arrested.
Rajesh Maruti Maru (32) had accompanied his sisters mother-in-law, Laxmibai Solanki, to the hospitals MRI section for a test. Around 8.30 pm, he reportedly got trapped with a leaking oxygen cylinder inside the MRI machine.
Magnetic force of the machine sucked him in. We are not sure how he went so close. An inquiry is on, said Dr Ramesh Bharmal, Dean, Nair Hospital. Staffers claimed that the cylinders knob broke open when Maru was pulled in, causing it to leak. Maru inhaled an excessive amount of oxygen.
The police registered a case under Section 304A of the Indian Penal Code for causing death by negligence, against hospital staffers. A doctor, Saurabh Lanjekar, ward boy Vitthal Chavan, and a helper, Sunita Surve, who were present with the family inside the MRI room, were named in the FIR and have been arrested. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced compensation of Rs 5 lakh to Marus kin.
Family Members Speak To Media After Man Dies In Freak Accident In Mumbai Hospital's MRI Room
According to Marus family, who are residents of Lalbaug, he was holding the oxygen cylinder for Laxmibai Solanki, who was scheduled to undergo the MRI scan. He was reportedly told not to leave the cylinder outside the MRI room. The family says no guard tried to stop them from entering the MRI room.
The family says later, inside the room, Maru was told to assist the hospital staff in positioning the patient for the MRI machine. The ward boy asked him to help. They said it was okay. He went close to the machine and instead got pulled along with the oxygen cylinder inside the machine. Instead of taking responsibility, the hospital workers scolded us for Rajesh having gone close to the MRI machine with the cylinder in his hand, said Marus sister Priyanka Solanki, who was also present in the MRI room.
The family claims the ward boy did not even check if the machine was switched on when Maru went close to it.
mumbai mri death, mri death, mumbai man dead, medical negligence, devendra fadnavis, nair hospital, mri machine death, indian express Family members of the victim who died after getting sucked into MRI machine in Mumbais Nair Hospital (Source: Express photo by Ganesh Shirsekar) Staffers said Marus hand holding the cylinder got stuck in the MRI machine, and that the ward boy and family members pulled him out. He was reportedly rushed to the emergency ward of the hospital within 10 minutes, but declared brought dead.
A postmortem at J J Hospital indicated that Maru died due to pneumothorax, a condition where excessive air enters the lung pockets. Excessive quantity of oxygen entered his body from the cylinder, which is also harmful. He seemed to have died instantly because of that. Apart from that there were injury marks on both his hands, a forensic doctor said.
Maru had no other trauma injuries.
Usually, when a patient is taken for an MRI scan, he or she is told to remove jewellery and other items that can be attracted by magnetic charge. Jignesh Thakker, the general secretary of the Indian Radiological & Imaging Association, said that when switched on, an MRI machines magnetic force is very powerful. We usually have to call in the company technician if anything gets sucked into the MRI machine, the impact is such. It is not easy to pull anything out immediately, he said.
The incident again highlighted the issue of municipal hospitals routinely asking patients to assist ward staff. No one gave us instructions. How will we know what to do? Marus shocked sister Priyanka said. Brother-in-law Harish Solanki said the hospital must be held accountable for the death.
While Nair Hospitals Radiology Department head remained unavailable for comment, Dean Bharmal said, The hospital staff accompanies the patient in such procedures. Protocol is followed. The hospital authorities have submitted CCTV footage from outside the diagnostic room to investigators.
Laxmibai Solanki, the patient who was to undergo the MRI scan, remains admitted in the medical intensive care unit of Nair Hospital.
Senior Police Inspector Savalaram Agawane said the hospital employees were detained for questioning on Sunday and arrested by the evening. Relatives should ideally not be allowed inside the MRI room. The ward boy or doctor should have also told the family not to take the oxygen cylinder close to the machine, Agawane said.
In the US, they’ve started requiring x-rays before you can get an MRI.
This guy likely died of blunt force trauma as he sped toward the tunnel.
Steel objects can reach speeds of hundreds of miles per hour as they fly into an MRI solenoid. It happens literally in the blink of an eye.
I want to know more about the Ward Boy.
I think it was a Ward Boy plot and he should be subject to high level scrutiny.
Can a girl be a “Ward Boy?”
And where was Batman???
I believe Batman had a Ward.
I don’t understand how this happened.....
A postmortem at J J Hospital indicated that Maru died due to pneumothorax, a condition where excessive air enters the lung pockets. Excessive quantity of oxygen entered his body from the cylinder, which is also harmful. He seemed to have died instantly because of that.
I think he died from excess pressure, not too much oxygen.
If she identifies as one.
an MRI is essentially a big electro-magnet. Holding onto a steel tank would be a bad thing - esp. if your body was between the tank & the MRI...
Here they ask if you have even a bobby pin in your hair. They are so overcautious.
Or a Key Grip.
3rd world, shithole hospital. Can’t get any clearer than that...
What about the metal min tattoos?
Now, now, I'm sure Dick Durbin would be more than happy to have his MRI done there.
I think "Mythbusters" demonstrated that those are safe in the MRI. They put some on a pig carcass and ran it through an MRI. No explosion or damage to the pig.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.