Skip to comments.Matthews: How can these conservatives believe gun rights are God-given and precede the Constitution?
Posted on 10/07/2017 2:19:46 AM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet
This makes twice in 10 days that a host on MSNBC has openly marveled at the idea that many, many Americans believe their rights come from God and are recognized in the Constitution rather than derive from the Constitution itself. How can it be that this idea is so inexplicably foreign, even accounting for MSNBCs left-wing bias? They know the percentage of the country thats religious; theyve read that not-unimportant bit in the Declaration of Independence about men being endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights; theyve read a treatise or two on natural law while in college; theyve maybe even glanced at the Ninth Amendment now and then and puzzled over what it could possibly mean. I sympathize with their mystification only to the extent that Im not a religious believer myself, but the idea of God-given rights is as mainstream as mainstream American political theory gets. And it serves a practical function. If free speech is purely a creature of the First Amendment, well, amendments can always be amended. If free speech is a creature of God then youve got a valid complaint if its taken away, no matter how by-the-book the First Amendments repeal might be from a constitutional standpoint.
Im willing to cut Matthews a bit more slack than I cut Todd because, admittedly, the idea of God proclaiming Thou shalt have AR-15s is ridiculous. But gun-rights supporters dont view the Second Amendment so narrowly. It doesnt guarantee arms so much as it guarantees the right to defend life and liberty through force if necessary. Matthews is a man of the left *and* of the media and therefore feels pressure to signal his disdain for gun rights in theatrical ways, but for farks sake, at least nod at a basic understanding of the political culture of your own country.
Oh, and what the hells he talking about at the end here where Republicans supposedly insist on the right to bazookas and tanks? The GOP leadership has spent the past few days talking about banning bump stocks, precisely because they make semiautomatics too closely resemble another category of banned weapons, automatics. This is what Republicans get for backing down on a proposed gun-control measure for once.
How about Dems support the real deadly weapons in releasing violent criminals to kill again. They need to be hit for it.
The right to defend oneself is god given and natural. The second amendment only guarantees that the tools of self defense are not easily monopolized by any future American government.
These people are idiots and so ignorant, alien to America it’s mind boggling. The peoples rights, all rights come from God and the Constitution limits what the government can do to us.
Because the constitution says these rights are not from government, but from our creator. Moron.
Yep. The constitution is written to limit the power of the government over the people and define the people’s rights as those which government shall not infringe upon. Liberals always migrate debate back to it being the other way around. They are Pavlovian about it.
The same way those who wrote the Constitution believed that. The same way he himself believes his right to life precedes the Constitution.
Because the Constitution was written to enshrine God’s will, not the other way around.
How? Because in Luke 22:36 the Lord told me my weapon is more important than the shirt on my back.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Reason allows men to deduce God's laws, natural laws, and natural rights. One of those rights is the right to life, which carries with it the right to defend your own life and the lives of others. That right to defense includes a right to the means of such defense. This right is what totalitarian leftists call the "negative" right against government denying men a means of defense every bit as effective as the means of offense available to potential adversaries, including criminals, and including a malignant government. This is not a positive right to have a means of defense, built and paid for by others, given to you by government; "positive rights" infringe on the liberty of others and thus do not exist.
How can Matthews orany tinkle up the leg think our Rights come from anyplace but God? Have they not read our Declaration of Independence. Have they not read Sir William Blackstone/or John Locke/or James Wilson / or Thomas Jefferson/or Joseph Story.Have they not read the Holy Bible—reflected in it is the TRUTH told that those nations turned from God do NOT end up in a happy place.
If you toss a baby into water, won’t it fight for life?
Natural rights, we have a right to defend ourselves.
LAS VEGAS SLAUGHTER!
Who is responsible?????
1. Tim Kaine asked for blood on the streets.
2. Loretta Lynch wanted bloodshed and violence against Republicans.
3. Obama asked his supporters to rise up.
4. CNN announced who would take over the gov if all elected Republicans were KILLED during Trump’s inauguration.
5. A New York play shows the killing of Trump.
6. Snoop Dog kills Trump in a video.
7. Kathy Griffin decapitates Trump in a photo shoot.
8. Madonna - “I’ve thought a lot about blowing up the WH”
9. Robert De Niro - “I’d like to punch him in the face”
10. Joss Whedon, Avengers director - “I want a Rhino to F* Paul Ryan to death”
11. David Simon, creator of The Wire - “Pick up a G*d* brick” if Trump fires Robert Mueller.
12. Mickey Rourke, the wrestler-actor - “He can suck my F* D*ck” and threatens to beat Trump with a baseball bat.
13. Lea DeLaria, the actress, threatens to “take out Republicans and Independents with a baseball bat” after Trump win.
14. YG, rapper, threatens Trump with ‘F* Donald Trump’ song.
15. Marilyn Manson kills Trump in the music video.
16. Everlast, rapper, warns Trump - “I will punch you in your F*ing face”
17. Larry Wilmore jokes about suffocating Trump with “pillow they used to kill Scalia”
18. Stephan Colbert’s Late Show puts Stephen Miller’s head on a spike.
19. Sarah Silverman suggests military could help ‘overthrow’ Trump.
20. Kathy Griffin promised to beat up Baron Trump (who is 11 years old.) She also posts a picture of a severed head of Trump “in the name of dark comedy.”
21. Juan Thompson threatened to blow up a Jewish community center.
22. Jeremy Christian, the Portland Killer, and a Bernie voter killed two.
23. The Huffington Post asked for Trump’s execution - on June 11th.
24. Hillary Clinton tells her followers to “RESIST!”
25. Fuller said in his article that impeachment is no longer enough and that Trump must face justice.
WHEN did such vitriol become, “acceptable”?!
And the so-called tolerant liberal group become so uncaring and evil...?
THEY INCITED THIS VIOLENCE AND SHOULD BE ARRESTED!!!
They know the percentage of the country thats religious;
Yes, but they hate and disdain us. They think us stupid, ignorant, cavemen.
They dare not admit the possibility of God’s existence, it undermines their entire philosophy.
Shakespeare’s line, “There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy [science].”, terrifies and annoys them.
“He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one” Jesus - Luke 22:36
Because the 2nd says shall not be infringed it doesn’t say shall be created
That means it already exists
The right to defense - of self, family, and home - is natural.
The second amendment has nothing to do with self defense or hunting.
Matthews is crotchety because he is missing out on his favorite form of sexual release — tingles up his leg from watching Obama speak.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.