Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Where the best cheese is made on the West Coast (Did you know there are cheese schools?)
SFGate.com ^ | 1/1/12 | Diane Susan Petty

Posted on 01/01/2012 11:39:55 AM PST by NormsRevenge

Soft, stinky, blue, raw and fresh. No, not oysters; rather, different types of cheese. With evidence of production dating to 2000 B.C. in Egypt, cheese was likely invented by accident when milk was transported across the scorching desert in the cleaned-out stomach of an animal (an ancient milk jug). Milk + Heat + Acid = Cheese. While it can be made from yak milk in Iceland, or moose milk in Sweden, local turophiles should be thrilled that some of the world's best cheese can be found right here on the West Coast.

(Excerpt) Read more at sfgate.com ...

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Food
KEYWORDS: cheese; westcoast
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-88 next last
Some wear it, some eat it..

Some even chase it down steep hills for sport..

No matter.. as long as Milk + Heat + Acid = Cheese

We'll find it resting on a wheat cracker eventually..

or shredded, sliced, diced, fondued, creamed, who knows.

It's Not quite a perfect food .. but close.

HaPPy NeW YeaR to the Old timers at FR, the nooBs, the soon to be and lurkers everywhere.

Don't forget to drop a coin or two in the old community kitty. ;-]

1 posted on 01/01/2012 11:39:57 AM PST by NormsRevenge
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: tubebender; glock rocks

My first post of the year and I’m pinging you to it. ;-}

2 posted on 01/01/2012 11:41:27 AM PST by NormsRevenge (Semper Fi ... Godspeed .. Monthly Donor Onboard .. Obama: Epic Fail or Bust!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: NormsRevenge

It’s the Tillamook Cheese Factory that makes the best in the West! It’s the third most-visited tourist attraction in Oregon.
http://www.tillamook.com/

3 posted on 01/01/2012 11:42:49 AM PST by Jack Hydrazine (It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine!)

Happy, healthy, prosperous 2012 NormsRevenge!

4 posted on 01/01/2012 11:45:45 AM PST by onyx (PLEASE SUPPORT FREE REPUBLIC:DONATE MONTHLY! Sarah's New Ping List - tell me if you want on it.)

5 posted on 01/01/2012 11:47:41 AM PST by Larry Lucido

There’s an article right under this one that’s about a moose, now we need one about someone’s sister.

6 posted on 01/01/2012 11:48:26 AM PST by Graybeard58 (Eccl 10 v. 19 A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.)

To: Larry Lucido

Aw man, ya beat me to it!

7 posted on 01/01/2012 11:49:51 AM PST by Old Sarge (RIP FReeper Skyraider (1930-2011) - You Are Missed)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Graybeard58

“There’s an article right under this one that’s about a moose, now we need one about someone’s sister.”

It is right above the moose story silly.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-backroom/2827449/posts

8 posted on 01/01/2012 11:56:26 AM PST by bigheadfred
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Jack Hydrazine

Yep! Makes excellent gifts as well.

9 posted on 01/01/2012 11:56:26 AM PST by eyedigress ((Old storm chaser from the west)?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

10 posted on 01/01/2012 11:58:24 AM PST by Washi (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, one head-shot at a time.)

The best cheese from the west coast is still third-rate cheese.

11 posted on 01/01/2012 12:03:05 PM PST by MIchaelTArchangel (Romney ruined Massachusetts. Now he wants to ruin the nation.)

Well if you drive to Sand Point, Idaho you will find Lighthouse Bleu Cheese Makers. Although not the West Coast, it is in the American Redoubt, which is better IMHO. :-)

Gunner

12 posted on 01/01/2012 12:04:02 PM PST by weps4ret (Republicans are suffering from Testicular Atrophy!!!)

“Best in the West”
Actually best in the world. Check the label on the medium cheddar. And that was off the shelf Tillamook Cheese competing with cheeses made just for the world competition in Wisconsin:)

13 posted on 01/01/2012 12:05:55 PM PST by Cold Heart

To: MIchaelTArchangel

Tillamook, Best in the World. The same cheese you buy off the shelf competing with made for competition cheeses.

14 posted on 01/01/2012 12:09:56 PM PST by Cold Heart
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

15 posted on 01/01/2012 12:11:14 PM PST by dfwgator

To: Washi

Tillamook is among the best. New York cheddar is also very good; however, one can rarely by it here in California.

16 posted on 01/01/2012 12:15:42 PM PST by AEMILIUS PAULUS (It is a shame that when these people give a riot)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: NormsRevenge; Old Sarge; eyedigress; Cold Heart; dfwgator; MIchaelTArchangel

I would like to add rogue Creamery to their article.

http://www.roguecreamery.com/

17 posted on 01/01/2012 12:23:28 PM PST by Retain Mike

Tillamook is great. Too bad Bandon Cheese shut down, they were good too.

18 posted on 01/01/2012 12:23:44 PM PST by JimSEA (The future ain't what it used to be.)

The best in the West, maybe.

The various land-grant universities of New York, Minnesota and Wisconsin, as well as Vermont, have had research facilities working on the various permutations of cheese for well over a century now, and their contributions have made some of the local production facilities among the world-famous producers. California (?) makes cheese in vast quantity, but it is without soul or distinctive character, unlike the small cheese factories located in many little corners of the Dairy Belt.

Cheesemaking is an art, balanced with the science of selecting and preserving the cultures that create the cheese in the first place. Differences of the cooking process, temperature control at every point in the production of the curd, and the subsequent packing, storage, and optimal distribution of the product are all essential in the final perfection of the flavor and texture that make up a really excellent cheese, worthy of a connoisseur’s praise, much as fine wines are identified.

Not all of us are admirers of Kraft Foods.

19 posted on 01/01/2012 12:27:47 PM PST by alloysteel (Are Democrats truly "better angels"? They are lousy stewards for America.)

There are some excellent west coast cheeses but in my opinion the best cheese on Earth comes from Iowa.

L

20 posted on 01/01/2012 12:28:05 PM PST by Lurker (The avalanche has begun. The pebbles no longer have a vote.)

To: alloysteel

Come to Tillamook, Oregon and see what you think!

21 posted on 01/01/2012 12:32:49 PM PST by Jack Hydrazine (It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: weps4ret

Sand Point = Sandpoint

Light House = Litehouse

22 posted on 01/01/2012 12:38:14 PM PST by TaMoDee (GO PACK GO to Super Bowl XLVI)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

For an "off the shelf" cheese, I'd have to agree with the Tillamook advocates. I was born not far from there, and I guess I've just got a natural affinity (just bought a block yesterday). Eat it with some Harry & David Riviera pears or Royal white peaches and it's just like being in Oregon. That said, I really love Cougar Gold, produced by the Experimental Creamery in the School of Food Science at Washington State University. If you're uninitiated and love cheese, get yourself some of this:

23 posted on 01/01/2012 12:39:59 PM PST by stormer

Been there, done that, also have been to Monroe, Wisconsin.

They have “Cheese Days” in Monroe. First and second generation Swiss cheesemakers live there, and create cheeses with all the Old World skill and craftsmanship they brought with them.

24 posted on 01/01/2012 12:39:59 PM PST by alloysteel (Are Democrats truly "better angels"? They are lousy stewards for America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

http://www.oldcountrycheese.com/

I’ve procured some very good 12 year old cheddar at their brick & mortar shop...

25 posted on 01/01/2012 12:40:27 PM PST by Keith in Iowa (No Mit Sherlock. No Mit, not now, not ever. | FR Class of 1998 |)

To: NormsRevenge; glock rocks; happydogx2

Contest is over... http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com/cheeses.html

26 posted on 01/01/2012 12:43:12 PM PST by tubebender (I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.)

Having been raised in the north Bay Area, I have fond memories of the Sonoma Cheese Factory, http://www.sonomacheesefactory.com/.

I’m disappointed that it isn’t mentioned in the Sonoma Marin Cheese Trail that someone linked.

27 posted on 01/01/2012 12:52:13 PM PST by exDemMom (Now that I've finally accepted that I'm living a bad hair life, I'm more at peace with the world.)

To: alloysteel

What makes you think that anything produced west of the Mississippi is comparable to Kraft Foods? I think you need to get out a bit more. Washington State University has been producing and experimenting with dairy products since 1889, not exactly just getting started. Here are some recent awards:

Santé Magazine Gold Star Award 2009 and 2010, Cougar Gold®
American Cheese Society 2nd Place 2008, Cougar Gold®
World Cheese Awards Gold Medal 2006, Cougar Gold®
American Cheese Society Red Ribbon 2006, Crimson Fire
World Cheese Awards Silver Medal (1st in Class) 2000, Cougar Gold®
United States Cheese Champion Silver Medal 1995, Cougar Gold®
American Cheese Society Blue Ribbon 1993, Cougar Gold®
American Cheese Society Blue Ribbon 1993, Italian
American Cheese Society Blue Ribbon 1987, Smoky Cheddar

The creamery was included in the Atlas of American Artisan Cheeses and was ranked as one of America’s best university cheese producers. They don’t call WSU ‘Moo U’ for nothing...

28 posted on 01/01/2012 12:53:28 PM PST by stormer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Lurker

Maytag is absolutely the best, not just blue cheese, but other varieties as well

29 posted on 01/01/2012 12:54:00 PM PST by representativerepublic (...loose lips, sink ships)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

some of the world's best cheese can be found right here on the West Coast.

I thought this article was going to be about Hollywood film studios.

30 posted on 01/01/2012 12:55:36 PM PST by Moltke (Always retaliate first.)

Cowgirl Creamery cheeses...some of the BEST on the planet.
31 posted on 01/01/2012 12:56:03 PM PST by Daffynition (*Pray for whatever passes for America these days* Amen. ~ ScottinVA)

Best I had was while traveling in Israel. Small place called Cheeses of Nazareth.

32 posted on 01/01/2012 12:59:37 PM PST by artichokegrower

To: NormsRevenge; All

Received for Christmas but have not yet read “The Guide To West Coast Cheese” by Sasha Davies. Over 300 handcrafted cheeses CA, OR, WA

Looks to be the definitive for what you are looking for.

33 posted on 01/01/2012 1:02:27 PM PST by Cold Heart

Sorry. Tillamook is over-rated... it can’t stand up to an aged Vermont Cheddar. Grafton Classic Reserve or 5 y/o Cabot.

Tillamook is for metrosexualls. Don ‘t take that personally....but the cheese just isn’t that great.

34 posted on 01/01/2012 1:03:53 PM PST by Daffynition (*Pray for whatever passes for America these days* Amen. ~ ScottinVA)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: Cold Heart

Beechers Cheese, Seattle, there I win.....

35 posted on 01/01/2012 1:07:13 PM PST by cmsgop ( The left always accuses the right for the sins of the left. from FReeper Just Lori, RIP)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: JimSEA

Tillamook bought the Bandon label and is making that cheese.
Compared to Tillamook, Bandon is more moist, less aged and made from a pasturized milk. That’s all I could get out of my sources:) You would have to talk to someone who remembers the before & after taste.

It is a shame Bandon shut down. Bandon was going out of business and Tillamook was more or less forced to buy it before Kraft did.

36 posted on 01/01/2012 1:12:34 PM PST by Cold Heart
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: stormer
This is probably the best west coast cheese I've ever had. The ash coated TAUPINIÈRE is outstanding.

L

37 posted on 01/01/2012 1:17:34 PM PST by Lurker (The avalanche has begun. The pebbles no longer have a vote.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: NormsRevenge; All

I just randomly opened the book and came to the authors top ten favorites:)

Brindisi, Burrata, Caldwell Crik Chevrette, California Crottin, Cougar Gold, Creamy Bleu, ElDorado Gold, Inverness, Jupiter Moon, Scio Heritage

You would still want to get the book.

38 posted on 01/01/2012 1:18:59 PM PST by Cold Heart

To: Keith in Iowa
I’ve procured some very good 12 year old cheddar at their brick & mortar shop...

Do you mean they sell bricks and mortar, in addition to cheese, at their shop?

39 posted on 01/01/2012 1:19:58 PM PST by usadave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

Been all over the Tillamook-Cape Meares area.
WOW, there is a type of moss that grows off the trees because of all the cool humid air off the ocean. It will grow off branches to the ground. And the green grass.
Man, I’d be a cow there.

40 posted on 01/01/2012 1:24:50 PM PST by Joe Boucher ((FUBO) You'd be mad as hell to if you were married to that wookie bitch little fag that he is)

To: Daffynition

Sorry you are sorry but the experts at the world competition in Wisconsin differ soundly from you:)

41 posted on 01/01/2012 1:25:30 PM PST by Cold Heart
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

My favorite is Cowgirl Creamery in Sonoma County.

42 posted on 01/01/2012 1:26:09 PM PST by rbbeachkid (Get out of its way and small business can fix the economy.)

To: stormer

Booyah to the Cougar Gold. Some grapes and wine and that cheese...good times.

43 posted on 01/01/2012 1:33:28 PM PST by mockingbyrd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: usadave

>>>Do you mean they sell bricks and mortar, in addition to cheese, at their shop?

They do sell cheese in bricks... does “brick & mortar” in this context really require a defininition for you, or was yours an attempt at humor that failed?

44 posted on 01/01/2012 1:43:54 PM PST by Keith in Iowa (No Mit Sherlock. No Mit, not now, not ever. | FR Class of 1998 |)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

I concur, Tillamook is the best!

45 posted on 01/01/2012 1:44:52 PM PST by Vor Lady (Everyone should read The Importance of the Electoral College by Geo. Grant)

To: Joe Boucher

All the cows that produce the milk for Tillamook dairy products are located at a huge dairy farm in North-central Oregon. There are no Tillamook cows in Tillamook, except for maybe a few for the benefit of tourists.

46 posted on 01/01/2012 1:56:01 PM PST by SeaHawkFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

My favorite west coast cheese
47 posted on 01/01/2012 1:58:27 PM PST by BreezyDog (PLAN A: A Peaceful Restoration of the Republic.....PLAN B: A Restoration of the Republic)

To: Daffynition

You should try the Tillamook sharp Cheddar that’s been aged for 10 years. Quite good!

48 posted on 01/01/2012 1:58:43 PM PST by Jack Hydrazine (It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: Cold Heart

Got the link?

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/about_us/awards.php

http://www.alwaysfoodie.com/entry/cabot-cheese-awarded-as-the-best-cheddar-in-the-world/

49 posted on 01/01/2012 2:03:11 PM PST by Daffynition (*Pray for whatever passes for America these days* Amen. ~ ScottinVA)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

Customer: Brie, Roquefort, Pol le Veq, Port Salut, Savoy Aire, Saint Paulin, Carrier de lest, Bres Bleu, Bruson?

Owner: No.

Customer: Camenbert, perhaps?

Owner: Ah! We have Camenbert, yessir.

Customer: (suprised) You do! Excellent.

Owner: Yessir. It’s..ah,.....it’s a bit runny...

Customer: Oh, I like it runny.

Owner: Well,.. It’s very runny, actually, sir.

Customer: No matter. Fetch hither the fromage de la Belle France! Mmmwah!

Owner: I...think it’s a bit runnier than you’ll like it, sir.

Customer: I don’t care how f***ing runny it is. Hand it over with all speed.

Owner: Oooooooooohhh........! (pause)

Customer: What now?

Owner: The cat’s eaten it.

50 posted on 01/01/2012 2:06:03 PM PST by TLI ( ITINERIS IMPENDEO VALHALLA)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-88 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson