Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Fun with abortion statistics
Oh Vanity thy name is Jobim | 10/5 | Jobim

Posted on 10/06/2001 3:02:46 AM PDT by jobim

The annual Life Chain is this Sunday across the nation. In attempting to get some student involvement, I made an announcement over the PA this morning, relating the following info I dredged up from census bureau & DOD websites:

age 1-29 total US population: 114,855,000
# of abortions since Roe v Wade: 40,000,000

Thus, about 30% of this generation (age 1-29) has been killed, mostly by us baby-boomers.

If you look at all 9 US-involved wars, from the Revolutionary War to the Viet Nam War, the number of US people killed in battle is approx 650,000. Thus, we have killed 60 of this generation in the womb for every one killed in all American battles.

6000 killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks? We are killing this generation at the rate of 182/hour, round the clock, so it would take all of 33 hours to match that 6000.

In our town of Hilo, HI there are 2 abortions per day, M-F, or 520 per year. That means we are wiping out the entire school I teach at, toddler school through senior year, every year.

I concluded with the conviction that if every Christian coast-to-coast walked outside tomorrow and declared "STOP THE KILLING!" it would all end immediately.

It is hard for the mind to grasp the horror of what we are doing. If Communism is ultimate materialism, it is we, after all, who lay claim to the most powerful Communist nation on earth. I love this country, but how do we get its soul back?

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-54 next last

1 posted on 10/06/2001 3:02:46 AM PDT by jobim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: jobim
I love this country, but how do we get its soul back?

Revive, Motown?

2 posted on 10/06/2001 3:54:39 AM PDT by ResistorSister
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I am assuming you work for a private school?

Though I am pro-life, there are other religions in this country. Jews are sometimes commanded to have abortions by their teachings and Muslims are conflicted on the subject (all agree that it is forbidden after the 1st trimester, though). It would be approaching theocratic rule to outlaw it.

The problem is that 28 years have gone by since Roe v. Wade and you can't just turn that ship on a dime. You have to change people's minds (getting all those Christians on board).

3 posted on 10/06/2001 4:28:18 AM PDT by GraniteStateConservative

Bookmark
4 posted on 10/06/2001 4:31:34 AM PDT by Skooz

Prior to Roe v Wade (and The Pill and the Liberals attempts to remove Religion from Schools and Planned Parenthood, which all occured almost simultaneously ) girls worried about their 'reputation'. Now they worry if they don't have one! As a result, guess what? ... Girls are getting pregnant! ... and they want it to Go Away! The problem is deeper than Abortion.
5 posted on 10/06/2001 4:55:27 AM PDT by Dittohead_2

Question

How can the world population be controlled without abortion?

We would be at 12 billion, not 6 billion.

Can the world support an unregulated birth rate?

6 posted on 10/06/2001 5:18:21 AM PDT by Tripleplay

To: GraniteStateConservative
I have NEVER heard that Jews sometimes have to have abortion by talmudic decree...would you care to source this? V's wife.
7 posted on 10/06/2001 5:23:00 AM PDT by ventana
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Tripleplay
Good grief, you're new here aren't you. Abortion is a murderous form of birth control. The fact is, natural occurences -famine, floods, etc., as well as naturally occuring diseases have always prevented the kind of population explosion extremists like you and Carl Sagan have foreshadowed. Further, this planet could support a lot more life! Have you ever been over "flyover" country? Good heavens, hardworking, God fearing people could make it a paradise. Who are we to control them (only fascists like pol pot and mao and lenin do that dear). I flame pro-choicers.
8 posted on 10/06/2001 5:27:26 AM PDT by ventana
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

How can the world population be controlled without abortion? We would be at 12 billion, not 6 billion. Can the world support an unregulated birth rate?

So the fix for you is to kill half of them to give you more living space? Or, by correct spelling, liebensraum?

9 posted on 10/06/2001 5:27:31 AM PDT by Zviadist

Excellent post, Jobim.
10 posted on 10/06/2001 5:29:27 AM PDT by Artist

Can the world support an unregulated birth rate?
Can the world support the killing of MILLIONS of innocent babies?
11 posted on 10/06/2001 5:40:21 AM PDT by my4kidsdad

I concluded with the conviction that if every Christian coast-to-coast walked outside tomorrow and declared "STOP THE KILLING!" it would all end immediately.

Problem with definitions here. "Christian" seems to be pretty loosely defined these days. For way too many, it is not a way of ordering ones heart and mind. It is rather a "fire insurance policy" which we pull out when in danger or trouble. Then we storm Heaven with demands that God fix the mess.

Following Christ has always entailed sacrifice and self denial, two concepts as alien as possible from the modern ethos. In our conceit, we have thought we can have it all - self indulgence and Heaven when we die.

Ongoing repentance of our sins, doing good for those who need it and cannot help us in any way, removing logs from our own eyes before daring to look at the specks in others' eyes - that ain't a lot of "fun" as defined by the world. And "fun" is what we must have.

I am not pointing out anyones sins but my own. But, I suspect a lot of us need to be honest enough to look at the state of what passes for Christianity today.

Where is the power?

12 posted on 10/06/2001 5:41:58 AM PDT by don-o

Maybe you would like to see euthanasia being legal? After all that is the next logical step. Would you care to step to the head of the line?
13 posted on 10/06/2001 5:47:11 AM PDT by SLB

To: Zviadist
Das heist "Lebensraum", mein Freund.
14 posted on 10/06/2001 5:49:30 AM PDT by wita
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Alas
Bump
15 posted on 10/06/2001 5:50:57 AM PDT by SLB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: GraniteStateConservative
Simply making it against the law to butcher innocent unborn babies hardly qualifies as forcing a "theocratic state" on America. Or are you saying Christians are the only ones with an enlightend conscience?

I don't know what you mean when you claim that Jews are under religious obligation to get an abortion in some circumstances. That sounds opposed to everything I know about orthodox Judism. As far as the Muslims go, I am becoming less and less concerned as to what their whacked-out religous code demands.

16 posted on 10/06/2001 5:54:02 AM PDT by Ahban
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Dittohead_2
Who are you to tell him to "go away"? How does that add to an intelligent dialog?

I agree that the problem is deeper than abortion, but that does not mean you decline to pass just laws. As M.L. King said, "I can't pass a law to make you love me, but I can pass a law to keep you from lynching me." There are root causes, but I don't think we have to get side-tracked by some lefty ideas about "solving the root problems or crime" before we can hold people accountable for their actions.

THe law is a great teacher. If the girls you describe had to carry their babies to term they might have a different opinion on getting pregnant for a couple of months just for attention.

My guess is that once you start holding people responsible for their actions, they quickly start acting more responsibly. But I guess that is a view that is just too conservative.

17 posted on 10/06/2001 6:01:28 AM PDT by Ahban
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

More fun with statistics....

Margarite Sanger was a racist, of the 44,000,000 murdered americans 30,000,000 of them were black.

No abortion = President Gore

Stop killing our babies (I don't care what color they are)

18 posted on 10/06/2001 6:10:45 AM PDT by Gore_ War_ Vet

To: Zviadist
Its not my fix. Societies throughout the world have accepted the procedure.(which is murder BTW)

Countries have condoned abortion regardless of religion, politics, etc. Why?

19 posted on 10/06/2001 6:12:29 AM PDT by Tripleplay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

My God you're an idiot.
20 posted on 10/06/2001 6:29:55 AM PDT by bigjoesaddle

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-54 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson