Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Experts cite electromagnetic pulse as terrorist threat
Associated Press / Las Vegas Review-Journal ^ | October , 2001

Posted on 10/03/2001 2:46:28 AM PDT by maquiladora

With the nation guarding against atomic, biological, chemical and hijacked airliner attacks, exerts see little protection from a weapon that could cripple computers and key electronic systems. The danger is from an electromagnetic pulse - a powerful, split-second wave of energy from a nuclear bomb. Some of the last full-scale nuclear weapons tests conducted in 1992 at the Nevada Test Site northwest of Las Vegas were designed to protect or "harden" military systems against electronic failure in a nuclear exchange. However, little of that preventive technology has been applied to civilian equipment, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

"I don't think there has been any significant effort to harden the private sector against electromagnetic pulse," said John Pike, director of globalsecurity.org, a defense and intelligence policy organization based near Washington, D.C.

Twice in the past four years, and as recently as 1999, Congress was warned that detonating a relatively small, 10-kiloton nuclear bomb over the U.S. would produce a burst of energy equal to 10,000 tons of TNT.

Such a burst, sometimes referred to as an EMP, could yield tens of thousands of volts of energy and cause widespread damage to computer chips and electronic equipment. The phenomenon could cripple an economy dependent on computer networks and electronic communication systems. The damage from burnout or overloads on electrical circuits would extend far beyond the area directly affected by the blast and radiation, government scientists have told Congress.

Officials with Nevada Power Co. and the Southern Nevada Water Authority, two key Las Vegas Valley public utilities, said their electrical systems have no protections against EMP. "We did not design our system with that in mind," Nevada Power spokeswoman Sonya Headen said. "To our knowledge, there isn't any utility in the country that was designed to withstand EMP."

Officials with the Federal Aviation Administration's Western Pacific Region Defense and the Threat Reduction Agency, which replaced some functions of the now-defunct Defense Nuclear Agency, did not immediately respond to Review-Journal inquiries about electromagnetic pulse protection. Pike said the risk to FAA systems from electromagnetic pulse is probably classified.

However, government scientists have discussed the issue of potential EMP damage on military and civilian systems during congressional meetings. Lowell Wood, a prominent physicist from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, told a House Armed Services subcommittee in October 1999 that nuclear warheads on a kiloton scale can have a greater EMP threat than nuclear warheads on the megaton scale.

Two years earlier, Wood told the subcommittee that the threat to semiconductor-based U.S. power grids and communication systems have increased substantially since electromagnetic pulse was detected during nuclear testing four decades ago. He told the subcommittee in 1997 that civilian passenger jets are also at risk - particularly at night, when they could be lost without communications, landing beacons and runway lights.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The list of weapons available to terrorists now ranges from passenger jets to atomic devices and biological and chemical agents. But the United States has made little progress in guarding against what might be its most devastating threat -- widespread damage to domestic electronic systems from a powerful, split-second wave of energy from a nuclear bomb.

Although some of the last full-scale nuclear weapons tests conducted in tunnels at the Nevada Test Site were designed to protect or 'harden' military systems against electronic failure in a nuclear exchange, little of that preventive technology has been transferred to civilian equipment, sources said Friday.

'I don't think there has been any significant effort to harden the private sector against electromagnetic pulse,' said John Pike, director of globalsecurity.org, a defense and intelligence policy organization based near Washington, D.C.

Twice in the past four years, and as recently as 1999, Congress was warned that a relatively small, 10-kiloton nuclear bomb, which would produce energy equal to exploding 10,000 tons of TNT, would cause widespread damage to computer chips and electronic equipment if detonated over the United States. Called EMP, an acronym for electromagnetic pulse, the phenomenon from tens of thousands of volts of energy from a nuclear explosion could cause enough damage to cripple an economy dependent on computer networks and electronic communication systems. The damage from burnout or overloads on electrical circuits would extend far beyond the area directly affected by the blast and radiation, government scientists told Congress in 1999 and 1997.

But almost none of the technology to protect against EMP that was developed through Defense Department nuclear tests at the Nevada Test Site as late as 1992 was put to use in the private sector.

Officials with two Las Vegas Valley public utilities said Friday their electrical systems have no protections against EMP. 'We did not design our system with that in mind,' said Nevada Power Co. spokeswoman Sonya Headen. 'I was also informed, to our knowledge, there isn't any utility in the country that was designed to withstand EMP.'

J.C. Davis, a spokesman for the Southern Nevada Water Authority, said water operations depend on electrical circuitry that is vulnerable to EMP. 'We do not have specific protections against electromagnetic pulses,' he said. Nevertheless, he said, 'We have backup and recovery systems. We have redundant systems at various locations throughout the valley to deal with things that are generally within the realm of our scope.' The Defense Threat Reduction Agency -- the agency that replaced some functions of the now-defunct Defense Nuclear Agency -- fielded questions Friday from the Review-Journal about EMP and making protective technology available for civilian use. But an agency spokesman did not offer an immediate response.

Likewise, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration's Western Pacific Region was asked whether the nation's air traffic control system has been hardened against EMP. He did not respond Friday.

Pike, however, said part of the nation's air traffic control system probably relies on less-vulnerable fiber optics that might be somewhat more resistant to EMP than a desktop computer. But the extent of the risk to FAA systems from electromagnetic pulse is probably classified, he said.

Inquiries to the North Las Vegas office of the National Nuclear Security Administration -- a branch of the Department of Energy that oversees operations at the Nevada Test Site, 65 miles northwest of Las Vegas -- were forwarded to officials at national weapons laboratories in Livermore, Calif., and Los Alamos, N.M. But an administration spokesman said, 'Classification guidance prohibits detailed information from cleared individuals at both of the labs.'

Nevertheless, government scientists on at least two occasions discussed the issue of potential EMP damage on military and civilian systems at meetings of the House Military Research and Development Subcommittee. 'Special purpose nuclear warheads on a kiloton scale, can have much more EMP effect than ordinary nuclear warheads on the megaton scale. Warheads of less than 10-kiloton yields can put out very large EMP signals,' Lowell Wood, a prominent physicist from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, told a House Armed Services subcommittee in October 1999.

Two years earlier, in July 1997, Wood told the subcommittee that since the EMP threats were realized at the onset of nuclear testing more than four decades ago, its potential effects on U.S. power grids and communication systems have increased substantially.

'There is reason to believe,' Wood said, 'that the semiconductor-based portions of our communication system, which is to say essentially all of it, would be extremely vulnerable.' Civilian passenger jets, as well, are at risk, Wood told the subcommittee in 1997.

'It is probably clear that if this attack occurred at night that most of the planes, most of the civilian airliners in the air, would be lost for obvious reasons,' he said. 'They simply won't be able to land. They won't have landing aids, probably no lights on landing strips and so forth. Those would be lost.'

Military experts say the cost of hardening their systems would be between 2 and 10 percent. Pike said how the cost of protective measures would translate to the commercial sector is unclear, but he imagines it would be substantial.

The late Rep. Sonny Bono, R-Calif., asked Wood and other scientists about specific threats. 'Like the war in the Middle East, could they pull out EMP and use that as an aggressive weapon, or as a defense weapon, to knock out some of the smart stuff we have?'

Wood replied that the scenario 'is one of very real concern because in those circumstances, very modest, very short-range rocketry could be used to loft a nuclear explosive over our forces ... and impose preferential EMP damage on our forces.

From the enemy's viewpoint, Wood said, 'You are not interested in covering an entire continent, but rather than stretching 4,000 kilometers (2,480 miles), you might only be interested in EMP damage over 400 kilometers (248 miles), which is a major theater of operations. And in those circumstances, quite modest nuclear explosives on very modest rockets, Scud-type rockets, would suffice to potentially impose very severe damage.' In addition to the United States, Russia, the United Kingdom, China and France, several other countries are believed to have nuclear capabilities. The list includes Iraq, North Korea, Pakistan, India and Israel.

According to Pike, American enterprise faces a substantial risk from EMP under existing conditions. 'Any country capable of delivering a nuclear weapon to an American city could be capable of detonating that weapon in space above the North American continent,' he said.

TOPICS: Extended News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-95 next last

1 posted on 10/03/2001 2:46:28 AM PDT by maquiladora
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: maquiladora
I posted the LVRJ article yesterday. If you would like to read the ensuing discussion it is at------->Are electromagnetic pulses terrorists' next weapon of choice?
2 posted on 10/03/2001 3:10:52 AM PDT by Movemout
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Yike! I don't like this EMP thing...something else to worry about?? Well, what can be done to harden the computer systems in all American systems (especially those of Free Republic)???
3 posted on 10/03/2001 3:17:11 AM PDT by YepYep

Interesting. I don't think we're facing this as an immediate threat though our enemies would undoubtedly like to do this to us. Just imagine the effect if one were used over a major financial center like Chicago. Even if there was little bomb damage, the destruction of electrical and electronic infrastructure is almost unimaginable. I think of how a city like Chicago would be affected. No electronic medical gadgets in hospitals to save lives. The cars and vehicles would all have to be repaired. As would the traffic system. The phone systems. The power system. No TV. No radio. No way to immediately distrubute food. Stores unequipped to sell food without using computerized cash registers. No way to dispatch fire and police units even if their vehicles worked. The list is endless. We never stop to think how dependent we are on these things.
4 posted on 10/03/2001 3:34:33 AM PDT by George W. Bush

To: All
Old news going back to the 50s. Every few years people discover it again.

Most intelligent people have already taken precautions.

Metal boxes or shielded boxes, and power line filters are usually enough.

We have a lot of EMP around here. It comes in the form of lightning. Circuit City sells what you need. EMP around my place is so bad and frequent I even need to run the phone line and cable line through a filter. I even have a EMP filter on my power line to prevent the dishwasher from taking a hit.

Sheesh, my cheapo computer even has these fingers on the aperatures which you cut your hand on when you open the box to put in a new card. My nicely sheilded computer box even allows me to be able watch Fox News while I type.

Even my old reliable ink jet has a sprayed zinc coating inside the plastic case to shield it.

So I am prepared.

You can bet the military has done more and the finance houses and others with security concerns have as well. After all, they have had tens of years to get ready.

Tin foil hat off.

snooker

5 posted on 10/03/2001 3:50:24 AM PDT by snooker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: snooker
I'm still scared.

Hold me.

6 posted on 10/03/2001 3:53:27 AM PDT by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

As with lightning, a lot of cheaper electronic equipment would get blown, as would a lot of breakers on the power grid. The shielding on your el cheapo computer is there not to lightningproof it but to make it meet FCC electromagnetic emissions standards for residential use.
7 posted on 10/03/2001 3:55:29 AM PDT by HiTech RedNeck

You may also want an old car with points and mechanical fuel pump or have a bicycle ready to go.
8 posted on 10/03/2001 4:02:28 AM PDT by germanicus

To: Medium Rare
Thought this might be of interest bump.
9 posted on 10/03/2001 4:02:58 AM PDT by the crow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: anybody
'It is probably clear that if this attack occurred at night that most of the planes, most of the civilian airliners in the air, would be lost for obvious reasons,' he said. 'They simply won't be able to land. They won't have landing aids, probably no lights on landing strips and so forth. Those would be lost.'

It's to bad flares are so expensive.
10 posted on 10/03/2001 4:18:34 AM PDT by seabass1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

This is not correct. The rise time of an EMP pulse is about 1000 times faster than the pulse from lightning, meaning that the circuitry that you use to protect against lightning damage, power surges, etc. do not react nearly fast enough for EMP protection.
11 posted on 10/03/2001 4:22:44 AM PDT by AndyJackson

To: seabass1
Lol. I strongly suspect that the headlines next week will be: Bovine excrement: A new terrorist threat? This war needs to start soon, the press are having way to much fun scaring the crap out of people.
12 posted on 10/03/2001 4:23:33 AM PDT by self_evident
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: self_evident
"I strongly suspect that the headlines next week will be: Bovine excrement"

Honestly, on a earlier thread this week regarding bio-terrorism someone stated that a real threat to the water supply could come from a dead rotting cow carcass dropped into a lake........

ROTFLMAO, I guess all that money spent on clorination and filtration equipment spent by the county is useless....

The bio-terrorism angle is way overblown as is the nuke issue......The credible threats sit with conventional types of sabatoge type attack such as dams, bridges communications and transportation..... Terror attacks such as suicide bombers in shopping malls or playgrounds are also a possibility.....

But EMP from a tactical nuke...oh please....... (hopefully I'll never have to eat thos words!)

NeverGore

13 posted on 10/03/2001 4:42:51 AM PDT by nevergore
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: AndyJackson
Depends on the circuitry. Ferrite beads (which are also used to fight RF leakage from power supplies into the power mains) would do an excellent job of blocking such a pulse.
14 posted on 10/03/2001 4:44:12 AM PDT by HiTech RedNeck
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: AndyJackson
This is not correct. The rise time of an EMP pulse is about 1000 times faster than the pulse from lightning, meaning that the circuitry that you use to protect against lightning damage, power surges, etc. do not react nearly fast enough for EMP protection.
This is my understanding too from what I read years back when the military finally got serious about hardening their equipment. The military has proper shielding for ground support systems and combat units (planes/tanks/ships etc). The civilian sector does not have this sort of protection. Fixing the problem would make Y2K preparation look easy by comparison. But this situation is yet another good argument for missile defense.

I don't think there's actually much danger of such an attack in the immediate future. If terrorists had such a capability, they would already have used it.
15 posted on 10/03/2001 4:46:49 AM PDT by George W. Bush
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: nevergore
The bio-terrorism angle is way overblown as is the nuke issue......The credible threats sit with conventional types of sabatoge type attack such as dams, bridges communications and transportation..... Terror attacks such as suicide bombers in shopping malls or playgrounds are also a possibility....
How about sabotaging a reactor or blowing it up to cause a Chernobyl incident at a nuclear power plant? That's the one I keep thinking about. I'm a few hundred miles downwind from one. Just what could 18 determined men with knowledge of nuclear plant design do to such a plant if they took it by surprise and moved fast?
16 posted on 10/03/2001 4:53:28 AM PDT by George W. Bush
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: George W. Bush
If terrorists had such a capability, they would already have used it.

While I'd like to think that too... when you go into a Chinese buffet do you eat everything simultaneously?

17 posted on 10/03/2001 5:09:00 AM PDT by HiTech RedNeck
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: HiTech RedNeck
While I'd like to think that too... when you go into a Chinese buffet do you eat everything simultaneously?
Well...yes. If possible.
18 posted on 10/03/2001 5:23:27 AM PDT by George W. Bush
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: xzins
FYI
19 posted on 10/03/2001 5:26:06 AM PDT by TrueBeliever9
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: George W. Bush
ROFLOL
20 posted on 10/03/2001 5:27:43 AM PDT by HiTech RedNeck
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-95 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson