Skip to comments.
Top deputies drafted to try case; ex-defender disputes case 'slam dunk'
The Modesto Bee ^
| Published: April 26, 2003, 05:49:30 AM PDT
| John Cote' and Daryl Farnsworth
Posted on 04/26/2003 8:30:49 AM PDT by runningbear
click here to read article
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80 ... 121-136 next last
was looking for a memorial vigil today the Rocha's are having today in Modesto... pending ...will post when I find the info...
To: runningbear; Rheo; spectre; Jaded; Mystery Y; Searching4Justice; brneyedgirl; Scupoli; sissyjane; ..
Pinging...
2
posted on
04/26/2003 8:32:23 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: runningbear
I think that's The Carrington Sund Foundation, Kim Petersen's employer, having a memorial for all victims of violent crime.
To: runningbear
today's event in Modesto:
April 26, 2003 The fifth annual Vigil of Hope will be held at Graceada Park in Modesto. The speakers will be Commander Raul DeLeon of the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Office; Modesto Police Chief Roy Wasden: Stanislaus County District Attorney Jim Brazelton; Tavia Williams, daughter of Larry McNabney; and Francis and Carole Carrington.
Sund Foundation web site
4
posted on
04/26/2003 8:53:10 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: RGSpincich
just found it, and was veiwing the missing person's list, homicide list, and suspect list.... Xiana Fairchild, wasn't her remains recovered, and suspect still in custody, sentenced? Also, on the McNaby case in Sacramento, Laren Sims Jordon, committed suicide, hanging herself while in jail, awaiting arraingment? Check out all the missing people dated in 1997 Fayetteville NC? What's with that? That page was an eye opener this morning... (need more coffee...lol..)
5
posted on
04/26/2003 8:56:53 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: runningbear
Thanks for the ping.
Grantski said afterward: "It's really a very hard thing. There are no winners or losers. Six months ago we were all one big loving family and now we're talking about life or death for someone."
Grantski declined to comment on his position on the death penalty. "There's another family involved," he said. "We've lost our daughter and they've lost a son. It's horrible
After all the things Jackie and Lee Peterson have said and done, Ron Grantski still has empathy for them and is concerned about their feelings. What class.
6
posted on
04/26/2003 8:58:18 AM PDT
by
clouda
To: runningbear
Thanks, rb! Well, maybe this case is beginning to move a little now.
To: runningbear; All; Saundra Duffy
Regarding Condit/Levy issues:
Ex-Condit chief of staff cancels talk
Ex-Condit chief of staff cancels talk
By JEFF JARDINE
BEE STAFF WRITER
Published: April 26, 2003, 05:16:38 AM PDT
Mike Lynch, former Rep. Gary Condit's longtime chief of staff, canceled plans to speak at a conference today in Modesto after the media were given permission to attend. Lynch now is a private consultant. He was scheduled to tell a group of police public information officers what it was like to be caught in the middle of a media frenzy.
The public information officers are here as part of the four-day International Association of Chiefs of Police conference, set to conclude Sunday morning at Modesto Centre Plaza.
For more than two months in the summer of 2001, Lynch took the brunt of media demands as reporters focused on the Ceres congressman's relationship with missing intern Chandra Levy, a Modesto woman who vanished in Washington, D.C., after completing an internship at the Bureau of Prisons.
Levy's remains were found last year in a Washington park. Police do not consider Condit a suspect in the case. He has never denied reports that he had a relationship with the 24-year-old Levy.
The media were allowed to cover all but two sessions of the police chiefs conference: Lynch's and a panel involving families of crime victims. The Bee asked to attend his presentation.
Lynch then canceled. He said he did not want his speech reported anywhere, possibly stirring up the issue at a time when the city again is experiencing national media attention -- this time because of the Laci Peterson homicide case.
"I thought I could give these guys (officers) an idea of what it's like to be in the middle of a media frenzy," he said. "I'm not interested in doing that now."
He informed Modesto police Detective Doug Ridenour, the department's information officer and the event's local coordinator, of his decision Friday afternoon.
Bill Cheek, a representative of the international association, said the group generally allows guest speakers to determine whether they want their sessions open to the media.
The Modesto Police Department, along with the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department, is co-hosting the event for the international association.
The Police Department played a significant role in organizing the event, providing staff and budgeting $3,500 toward it, while the Sheriff's Department contributed $400 and some staff time, according to officials of those departments.
8
posted on
04/26/2003 9:01:46 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: runningbear
Bumping!
I hope the A team in the DA's office makes this a priority case. They must make sure that no left winger who hates the death penalty is not on the team. They will do what ever to sabotage the team.
9
posted on
04/26/2003 9:06:27 AM PDT
by
Grampa Dave
(Being a Monthly Donor to Free Republic is the Right Thing to do!)
To: runningbear
10
posted on
04/26/2003 9:07:43 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: Grampa Dave
SF Chronicle Henry Lee was on MSNBC this morning.. pretty much for the Chron, stating the facts as they have been reported.. Commenting on the NY Post articles, and Amber/pics
11
posted on
04/26/2003 9:09:18 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: RGSpincich
did you read this huge ID theft?
13 charged in ID theft, scam
Dang, this is huge...Just think if these fellas did this much, whose to say how easy it is now to steal ID's with a computer? Wow....
was looking for that People article you posted... can you re post it?
12
posted on
04/26/2003 9:15:04 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: runningbear
http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/6619193p-7557814c.html Fresno woman sues People magazine in photo dispute
Her picture is visible on a wall behind suspect in photo.
By Jim Davis
The Fresno Bee
(Published Saturday, April 26, 2003, 5:14 AM)
A Fresno woman is suing People magazine because it published a photo of Scott Peterson and Amber Frey with a picture of the woman visible on a wall in the background.
Sherina Vincent sold the photo and three others to People. She is charging breach of contract because her image was to be removed.
"My client is very distraught that her picture has appeared in a national magazine with Scott Peterson," said Michele Engnath, Vincent's lawyer.
Vincent also alleges that the magazine paid her only $5,000 of an agreed $15,000, and editors have indicated they will not pay the rest.
Amber Frey, speaking publicly for the first time since attending a news conference in Modesto in January, said Friday that she was livid at her former friend.
"That's appalling that she's doing this," Frey said. "She doesn't want her picture in the magazine, but it's OK that she sells the photos and profits off me, Laci Peterson and her baby?"
Frey said Vincent, who is otherwise known as Saki, also sold photos to the National Enquirer, and she expects the tabloid will publish them next week.
People photo editor Debbie Bondulic in New York referred calls to the company's public relations department. A spokesman declined to talk about the case. "We intend to litigate it vigorously, but we're not going to go into the specifics of it," said Peter Costiglio, who works for Time Inc., which owns People. The photos ran in the May 5 edition of People that landed on newsstands Friday.
Scott Peterson is accused in the slayings of his wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn son. Laci Peterson was eight months pregnant when she disappeared from the couple's Modesto home on Christmas Eve.
Scott Peterson also dated Frey, a Fresno massage therapist who has said she did not know he was married. Engnath would not say how Vincent knew either Scott Peterson or Frey.
Vincent's suit was filed Thursday in federal court in Fresno. Engnath sought a judge's order to prevent People from distributing the issue, but the request was denied. Vincent is seeking in excess of $75,000 in damages. She could not be reached for comment.
The magazine used two photos of Amber Frey and Scott Peterson. One photo shows the couple smiling from the front seats of a vehicle. The other picture shows them embracing in front of a Christmas tree. In the second photo, on a wall behind the couple, is a small picture of Sherina Vincent. The photos were taken in December, Engnath said.
Frey said the pictures were taken before a winter formal and that Vincent was the one who took the pictures. Frey said she believes that the FBI will subpoena Vincent as part of their investigation. "She didn't look at the repercussions of selling the photos," Frey said.
Vincent, 31, sold the photos to People under a contract dated March 6. The contract was filed as part of the lawsuit. One of the conditions of the contract is that People "shall remove from any photograph the background photographs of photographer and her friends."
"How would you like your picture appearing with Scott Peterson?" Engnath asked.
The contract also stated that Vincent would be paid $5,000 when the magazine received the photos and another $10,000 when it published them.
Engnath said the company won't pay Vincent the final $10,000 because one of the four photos appeared on Fox News and in the New York Post before the magazine hit the stands. She said she did not know how the newspaper or television network obtained the photo.
"My client gave Amber one copy," Engnath said. "We believe that Amber gave that one copy to the police."
Her law partner, Richard Ryan, said: "Somebody somewhere made extra copies."
Vincent discovered earlier this week that her image in the photograph had not been removed or obscured when it was used to plug the magazine on the TV show "Entertainment Tonight," Engnath said.
"If you look at the picture in the People that came out today, there she is," Engnath said.
The reporter can be reached at
jmdavis@fresnobee.com or 441-6171.
To: RGSpincich
"If you look at the picture in the People that came out today, there she is," Engnath said. Heeeere Saki! Good puppy...
To: RGSpincich
thank you very much... ;o)
Was listening to MSNBC, and a San Jose Mercury News reporter was on, last name, Woolfolks, stated in the end of the clip, the Prelim is in July? Did he get that wrong. I thought it is May 19th? Also, he mentioned in his opinion, feels that the sealed probable cause search warrants do indeed have more info about the search the MPD was seeking that is not making it known to the public regarding the evidence findings.
And they, the newspaper outlets are trying appeal the local courts decision in keeping it sealed? Wow, must be something PD doesn't want to let out, yet!
Also, calling Amber as rightly so, 'mistress'...
15
posted on
04/26/2003 9:30:03 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: RGSpincich
LOL.....
16
posted on
04/26/2003 9:31:19 AM PDT
by
runningbear
(Lurkers beware, Freeping is public opinions based on facts, theories, and news online.......)
To: RGSpincich
LOL!!!
17
posted on
04/26/2003 9:31:21 AM PDT
by
clouda
To: runningbear
Also, calling Amber as rightly so, 'mistress'...Too bad for her sake, since she didn't know he was married. It sullies her rather than him by using that term.
18
posted on
04/26/2003 9:41:22 AM PDT
by
cyncooper
(thousands of cheering Iraqis yelled, "America, America, America," and "Bush, Bush, Bush.")
To: runningbear; STOCKHRSE
Thr Prelim is scheduled for the 19th but nobody expects it to happen. They'll probably just take care of a few housekeeping matters, discovery issues, etc. July maybe is an estimated time of the Prelim happening that somebody gave the reporter.
The MPD has something. Hopefully lots of somethings.
Amber a mistress? Imagine that..."Scott Peterson had a girlfriend" always did sound weird.
To: RGSpincich
Amber a mistress? Imagine that..."Scott Peterson had a girlfriend" always did sound weird.Of course it did. By the time her name surfaced who didn't know he was married and praised to the skies for being such a swell guy?
I'll stand by my dislike of calling her his mistress as that implies she willingly took on the role by engaging knowingly in an affair with a married man.
20
posted on
04/26/2003 9:48:10 AM PDT
by
cyncooper
(thousands of cheering Iraqis yelled, "America, America, America," and "Bush, Bush, Bush.")
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80 ... 121-136 next last
Disclaimer:
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson