National Institute of Mental Health | Schizophrenia
How can I help someone I know with schizophrenia?Caring for and supporting a loved one with schizophrenia can be hard.
It can be difficult to know how to respond to someone who makes strange or clearly false statements.
It is important to understand that schizophrenia is a biological illness.
Here are some things you can do to help your loved one:
- Get them treatment and encourage them to stay in treatment
- Remember that their beliefs or hallucinations seem very real to them
- Tell them that you acknowledge that everyone has the right to see things their own way
- Be respectful, supportive, and kind without tolerating dangerous or inappropriate behavior
- Check to see if there are any support groups in your area