Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

********************How do you like WINDOWS XP?********************
From me ^ | 27 Oct 01 | Democrats are liars

Posted on 10/27/2001 11:16:24 AM PDT by Democrats are liars

Well, I just finished installing Windows XP on my computer. It did not go nice and smooth. I ended up reformatting my hard drive and starting from scratch. I know Windows XP sure does not like AOL 6.0. I am in the process of downloading AOL 7.0. I am still installing all my old software. Yes Windows XP locked up on me many times today and last night. Well, I guess I just would like to know how every one else is doing with Windows XP.

TOPICS: Editorial; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 341-359 next last
It is a lot faster!
1 posted on 10/27/2001 11:16:24 AM PDT by Democrats are liars
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Democrats are liars
They are all fast.... until the root directory grows.
2 posted on 10/27/2001 11:19:39 AM PDT by Diogenesis
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #3 Removed by Moderator

To: newfreeper
Was very difficult to install. It would not simply update my Windows ME.
4 posted on 10/27/2001 11:26:08 AM PDT by Democrats are liars
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: newfreeper
thanks guys for the update...so is it worth the cost? and pls stipulate if you have home or pro xp.
5 posted on 10/27/2001 11:27:43 AM PDT by HEFFERNAN2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

That's what you get for running AOL!
6 posted on 10/27/2001 11:28:40 AM PDT by advocate10

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

My husband is in the process this very minute of installing this software. Personally I like to say a couple of versions behind and allow him to find the wonderful features on his own while I train my OS into doing what I want it to do and then use it.

Jen

P.S., if you find you like it after all this.. give me a flag and let me know. :o)

7 posted on 10/27/2001 11:29:11 AM PDT by IVote2

Not to start an OS war, but more than a few of us have refused to continue on the Microsoft perpetual upgrade train. Try installing Linux (any distribution) as a dual-boot system, then work with both for a while and see which you prefer. I think the chances are at least even that you'll like Linux better.
8 posted on 10/27/2001 11:30:37 AM PDT by Doug Loss

Yeah, XP seems to be nice so far (I installed it Thursday evening on my wife's machine; had to move her away from that blasphemy called Windows Me, what a rotten trick MS played with that one).

I can't really comment about the speed, because just before I installed XP over Me, I upgraded her machine to a half-gig.

So, even though her machine is a 350Mhz K6-II, it's pretty zippy now.

My only complaint is that there are no drivers I can find for the Philips Rhythmic Edge PSC702 soundcard. The "beta" versions won't install, so I guess I'll have to buy her a new card.

Otherwise, "ish kabibble."

9 posted on 10/27/2001 11:32:03 AM PDT by Illbay

you will experience problems when connecting to the new msn sites...as well...you experience locks ups...also there are about 20megs worth of patches already for xp...make sure u get them...
10 posted on 10/27/2001 11:32:55 AM PDT by surfer

I have had a standard policy since the early 1990s: I do not install any new or upgraded Microsoft products until a minimum of 6 months after release. I have yet to regret waiting, and there have been many times I have been very glad I did. This appears to be yet another case where waiting for the maintenance release will pay off.

I don't begrudge Bill Gates his money, but I do figure that he really could afford his own guinea pigs.

11 posted on 10/27/2001 11:33:11 AM PDT by Stefan Stackhouse

To: Doug Loss
Oh, I love Linux...it runs my server! But I cannot imagine trying to use it--or even worse, my wife trying to use it--as a desktop OS.
12 posted on 10/27/2001 11:33:44 AM PDT by Illbay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: IVote2
Windows XP is actually very enjoyable. Looks great and most importantly works great. Less lock-ups, and somehow my ADSL line feels better under XP then Windows 2000. :)

Also no compatibility problems, so....

13 posted on 10/27/2001 11:34:07 AM PDT by bluester
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I still don't get the fascination with AOL. To me, AOL is for someone who doesn't know a d*mn thing about using the Internet, and doesn't want to know.

I have NEVER used AOL, ever. I have watched my mother use it, and to me it was an abortion.

14 posted on 10/27/2001 11:35:08 AM PDT by Illbay

Comment #15 Removed by Moderator

I installed XP pro about two weeks ago. It is without a doubt the fastest, most stable OS I've ever used. It's currently running on a PII 400 with 394MB of ram, and it's faster than 2000, NT4, or 98 on this machine. It handles my burner without any external software, and I love the new media stuff.

The installation was a snap. Although I admit I did an install from scratch.(I almost never do an upgrade--just asking for trouble.) and ME was the worst POS that Microsoft (or anyone else) ever put out. I tried it once, and removed it after about 4 hours. It sucked.

16 posted on 10/27/2001 11:38:06 AM PDT by The Chid

Just upgraded yesterday from 98 to XP. The install itself went OK, but I had to tweak things a bit. First is that
Zonealarm is not compatible, at least yet. Even after installing the supposedly XP friendly version XXXX.357, I
could not access the internet via my cable modem. Also, my computer forgot that I had a printer. I had to download
an XP ready driver and reinstall, and now it works. My Viewsonic E771 monitor is still stuck on 8 colors; I guess
I need a new driver for it too. Sigh. At least I haven't locked up yet. My old '98 was getting very buggy by the end.
17 posted on 10/27/2001 11:39:12 AM PDT by poindexter

To: Carol-HuTex
My wife's machine is a 350 MHz AMD processor with 512MB RAM. It runs just fine, thanks. The "TechTV" caveats are probably apppropriate for the "Professional" version, but the "Home Edition" probably has less stringent requirements.

FWIW, the box claims that 200 MHz system is "minimum" and 300 MHz is "recommended".

18 posted on 10/27/2001 11:39:35 AM PDT by Illbay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Illbay
Ya know.. I have to comment on this, however seldom it might be. AOL is not for everyone, but it is a good place for others. I'm sure it probably is a good place for your mom, even if it is not what you want to use.

Thanks for the comments about XP, I'll go take a peek into the computer room and see if he's making any progress with installing it. A little while ago I had to go disable McAfee for him.

19 posted on 10/27/2001 11:39:36 AM PDT by IVote2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

If Microsoft made baby cribs, Bill Gates would be serving consecutive life sentences for the number of defective products that his company has sold.
20 posted on 10/27/2001 11:40:12 AM PDT by 2Am4Sure

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 341-359 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson