Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

America only knows one way - violence
San Antonio Express-News ^ | October 15, 2001 | John M. Velasquez

Posted on 10/14/2001 3:29:55 PM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife

This is addressed to the people of Afghanistan:

It is with deep sorrow and regret that I speak with you today, for our government led by our fraudulently elected president is bombing your nation.

I speak as a minority voice in America, for our elected officials and our "free and independent" media have chosen to talk to the American people about only one thing - war.

You know America has a violent history, so we know only way, one option - and that is war. We romanticize war and believe that honor and justice spring from war, no matter its origins. The voices of peace have been silenced, either through threat or by fear of what might happen should they speak out.

Although our government, its leaders and most of the American people are showing disregard for your safety, you must forgive them, for they do not know what they do.

Our president does not know of any other way, for he has surrounded himself with others who think the same way - violence solves violence. Our president does not know of any other way, for his father has shown him how to respond - by bombing another sovereign nation.

Our people would like to believe we are a just and free nation that has outgrown its past when minorities and women were second-class citizens. They would like to believe that is true because our laws use the words "justice and freedom for all."

But there is a ruling class in America that does not like the new America and continues to force its will on the people, including people of other nations.

You need to know that often in difficult times, America speaks with one voice but acts with another. Even now, we are saying to Israel and Palestine, "Put down your weapons and talk peace. It does not matter that today each of you lost people at the hands of the other." Meanwhile, we bomb you.

I speak for a small minority in America that hurts for you and who hope and pray that soon, we will elect a person who will speak and act with one voice that truly represents the ideals of freedom and liberty for all people, including yourselves.

One day that voice will give you back your freedom, and our influence will only be for the good of all people, not just the ruling class of America.

I am afraid that day is far off. If I knew of a way to influence my leaders, I would do it, but there is no democracy in America right now.

John M. Velasquez is an assistant professor in the psychology department of the University of the Incarnate Word.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-113 next last
Good grief. He belongs in the minority. President Bush better be keeping a sharp eye on our neighbors to the south.

Cuba "forced" to sell biotechnology to Iran

What is Hugo Chavez doing in Venezuela?

1 posted on 10/14/2001 3:29:55 PM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Cincinatus' Wife
Another anti-American pro-terrorist 'perfessor'. After we unload the socalists from Congress after this little dust up, I think we need to get our state legislators motivated to clean up American colleges of ilk like this.
2 posted on 10/14/2001 3:33:38 PM PDT by mgc1122
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Can't help but wonder if this guy is a citizen or an illegal, here working under tenure protection, making his money in our country, giving back nothing and resentful of those more successful than him. He fits the liberal profile perfectly......
3 posted on 10/14/2001 3:34:57 PM PDT by Faithfull

Good grief is right. This guy is out of his mind. Afghanistan territory isn't even controlled by its own government, and the Taliban randomly shoots people in the head at will. Imbecile.
4 posted on 10/14/2001 3:35:36 PM PDT by Republican Wildcat

Dear Osama,

Thank you for launching the terrorist attacks on our country. As far as we're concerned, you and your associates are most welcome to come back anytime and do as you wish. Don't worry about us - we won't try to stop you. As a matter of fact, I'm sure you would be proud of our efforts on your behalf!

We have protested in the streets against any efforts to hinder your campaign. We have burned flags, we have denounced our nation and our president, and we have attempted to intimidate those who advocate bringing you to justice (or justice to you).

We will continue our efforts on your behalf, and please do not hesitate to notify us if we can be of even more assistance.

And last but not least, when you continue your terrorist attacks on our soil please do not attack US, because we are and will remain-

Your Friends,

Coalition of Radical American Pacifists (CRAP)
5 posted on 10/14/2001 3:35:37 PM PDT by wontbackdown

Hey professor,we blew up all the newspapers,t.v.s and computers in Afghanistan so they probably won't see your letter

Try FedExing it to 'em.

6 posted on 10/14/2001 3:36:01 PM PDT by mdittmar

To: mgc1122
HE SHOULD TELL THAT TO 7,000 DEAD AMERICANS!!! Let's pack him in a cruise missle and send him to the Taliban. That'll teach him to dare blame his own country for pereptrating violence!
7 posted on 10/14/2001 3:36:56 PM PDT by goldstategop
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

John M. Velasquez is an assistant professor in the psychology department of the University of the Incarnate Word.

WTF is the University of the Incarnate Word?!?

8 posted on 10/14/2001 3:37:05 PM PDT by Drew68

To: mgc1122
Time to do away with tenure...time to stop public funding of universities that have inane people teaching our children.
9 posted on 10/14/2001 3:37:45 PM PDT by nancetc
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

velasque@universe.uiwtx.edu
10 posted on 10/14/2001 3:38:41 PM PDT by Republican Wildcat

To: Kalashnikov_68
http://www.uiw.edu/hassfacultye.html
11 posted on 10/14/2001 3:39:04 PM PDT by Republican Wildcat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: author
America only knows one way - violence

Shut up, commie, or I'll kick your ass...

12 posted on 10/14/2001 3:41:59 PM PDT by copycat

To: wontbackdown
Good letter, hope you send it to him immediately!
13 posted on 10/14/2001 3:42:04 PM PDT by The Right Stuff
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

A zealot school of obviously something abberant
14 posted on 10/14/2001 3:42:26 PM PDT by Governor StrangeReno

UIW
15 posted on 10/14/2001 3:42:59 PM PDT by Axman4

"I speak for a small minority in America that hurts for you and who hope and pray that soon, we will elect a person who will speak and act with one voice that truly represents the ideals of freedom and liberty for all people, including yourselves."

What do you wanna bet that this Velasquez buffoon voted for our 42nd President, who left bin Laden and the Taliban in power to rape, kill, and mutilate Afghani women.

Hey, Afghanistan. On behalf of the American People who really care, I apoligize for communist boneheads like Perfesser Velasquez.

They know only one way - dishonest whining.

16 posted on 10/14/2001 3:44:16 PM PDT by Sabertooth

Do you think we get our money's worth from all the hard earned dollars we send to institutions of higher "learnin" so our "chilren" can get a degree and contribute to our national wealth? < /sarcasm>
17 posted on 10/14/2001 3:44:27 PM PDT by big'ol_freeper

bump
18 posted on 10/14/2001 3:44:49 PM PDT by Republican Wildcat

My question to this professor is, just how are we supposed to respond to this terrorist act? Turn the other cheek?

If anything President Bush is acting with more restraint then the average American citizen wants at this time. If put to a vote on September 12th Bin Laden would have been nuked.

As the professor begs forgiveness in our name, Bin Laden and others like him are planning on ways to do it again. If they manage to kill another 5,000 of us would that be our fault as well?

19 posted on 10/14/2001 3:45:00 PM PDT by CIB-173RDABN

Even now, we are saying to Israel and Palestine...

Little does this idiot realize, that to Al-Qaeda, there is no Israel. There is only Palestine, and it belongs to the Muslims.

20 posted on 10/14/2001 3:45:52 PM PDT by AM2000

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-113 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson