Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Netanyahu tells US Congress not to compromise with terror...
Jerusalem Post ^ | 09/20/01 | Janine Zacharia

Posted on 09/20/2001 12:35:51 PM PDT by veronica

Netanyahu tells US not to compromise with terror By Janine Zacharia

Washington – Former Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, testifying before the House Government Reform Committee this evening, said if the US includes terrorism-sponsoring regimes like Syria, Iran or the Palestinian Authority in a coalition against worldwide terrorism then the alliance "will be defeated from the beginning."

Such a coalition, Netanyahu said, "will preclude possibility of overall victory" and "will melt down because of its own internal contradictions."

Netanyahu, who received unprecedented applause at the end of his testimony, called for the US to take a wide approach in its war against international terrorism, which is undoubtedly sustained by support of sovereign states.

The hearing was called to examine possible US responses to last week's terror attacks on the US and Netanyahu, who authored a book on terrorism, was summoned as a terrorism expert.

"Take away all the state support and the entire scaffolding of international terrorism will collapse into the dust. The international terrorist network is based on regimes – on Iraq, on Iran, on Syria, on Taliban Afghanistan,Yasser Arafat’s Palestinian Authority and several other Arab regimes such as the Sudan," Netanyahu said.

TOPICS: Extended News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-44 next last

1 posted on 09/20/2001 12:35:51 PM PDT by veronica
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: veronica
Now, will they listen?
2 posted on 09/20/2001 12:38:07 PM PDT by Straight Vermonter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Straight Vermonter, dennisw, DistantVoice, STD, vrwc54, jasowas, nmh, jauntybeesting, Illbay
BTTT.

(I hope so Vermonter.)

3 posted on 09/20/2001 12:40:59 PM PDT by veronica
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

This is the only good thing that I will say, ever, about Lantos...he stated that the State Department's pro-arab bias had actively thwarted previous efforts to define the radical islamists, and the states that support them, as the sources of terror that actively hate western culture and will not stop at anything to attack us.
5 posted on 09/20/2001 12:48:09 PM PDT by beowolf

If ya want a leader - this guy oozes it!!
6 posted on 09/20/2001 1:35:13 PM PDT by Digger

Someone call the authorities - CSPAN is MIA. Wonder if they're going to rebroadcast the speech?
7 posted on 09/20/2001 1:40:35 PM PDT by spycatcher

To: Straight Vermonter
"Now, will they listen?"

I sure hope so, but I am still not holding my breath.

8 posted on 09/20/2001 2:14:23 PM PDT by rebdov
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Rush Limbaugh played a bit of this on his show. You could tell he really likes Netenyau. I am sure they have met. Limbaugh made an impromptu visit to Israel about 5 years ago. Sorta just showed up. Very soon the Israelis found out he was visiting and Limbaugh, being an opinion maker, got to see all the big shots.
9 posted on 09/20/2001 2:27:02 PM PDT by dennisw

To: dennisw, veronica
Saw Bibi on CNN. They showed the whole thing. Lantos was actually quite impressive. Seems he's actually figured it out. Bibi read 'em the riot act on the Islamics. I too would love a transcript or tape. I'll see if'n I can dig one up somewheres.

10 posted on 09/20/2001 3:35:53 PM PDT by NorthernRight
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: NorthernRight
Lantos has alawys had some "gravitas". But he's pissed away his time promoting the worst of the left wing Democrat ideas.

Hope this is a permanent change to the good for him.

11 posted on 09/20/2001 3:45:19 PM PDT by dennisw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: dennisw
Yes....I also watched Lantos, he got some things right. He also took a lot of shots at the Bush administration.
Binyamin Netanyahu was awsome, refreshing in his candor, gracious to America and very informative. He was able to define the evil of terrorism and what we must do in order to kill it. His statement was moving yet simple with no PC language and no hedging of who is naughty or nice. He called a spade a spade. It should be required vewing for all patriots.
12 posted on 09/20/2001 4:07:35 PM PDT by bluecollarman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

if the US includes terrorism-sponsoring regimes like Syria, Iran or the Palestinian Authority in a coalition against worldwide terrorism then the alliance "will be defeated from the beginning."

Fortunately the USA has mega-clout that Israel doesn't. If these countries will not purge their terrorists (including the heads of state if applicable), they will feel Uncle Sam's wrath, no ifs ands or buts. The international terrorists picked a fight with the wrong country this time.

13 posted on 09/20/2001 4:12:25 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck

To: Digger
If ya want a leader - this guy oozes it!!

Among the many things I'll never forgive Bill Clinton for is his sending his henchmen (CarVILE) over to Israel to defeat Netanyahu and replace him with that Jimmy Carter like clown Barack.

14 posted on 09/20/2001 4:16:35 PM PDT by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: beowolf
This is the only good thing that I will say, ever, about Lantos...he stated that the State Department's pro-arab bias had actively thwarted previous efforts to define the radical islamists, and the states that support them, as the sources of terror that actively hate western culture and will not stop at anything to attack us.

Our State Department's bias toward the arab world makes it a junior UN. Lantos was also great in defending Bush's decision to walk out on that silly UN conference on race and reparations.

15 posted on 09/20/2001 4:18:31 PM PDT by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: dennisw
Netanyahu knows first hand about the costs of the war on terrorism. His brother Yonatan was killed in action while commanding the Israeli raid to rescue hostages at the Entebbe, Uganda airport in 1976.
16 posted on 09/20/2001 4:19:50 PM PDT by BurkeanCyclist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: bluecollarman
Agreed.
17 posted on 09/20/2001 4:25:46 PM PDT by The Westerner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: VA Advogado
Among the many things I'll never forgive Bill Clinton for is his sending his henchmen (CarVILE) over to Israel to defeat Netanyahu and replace him with that Jimmy Carter like clown Barack.

AMEN!!!! It was all just a game to Carville and his evil band of political mercenaries. Barak was a near-disaster for Israel. I wish Netanyahu were back in power, and that may happen. He has a good grasp on political realities, and is easy on the eyes.

18 posted on 09/20/2001 4:33:07 PM PDT by ChocChipCookie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: VA Advogado
Our State Department's bias toward the arab world makes it a junior UN.

Thanks...I forgot to mention this factor.

19 posted on 09/20/2001 4:33:30 PM PDT by beowolf
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: ChocChipCookie
AMEN!!!! It was all just a game to Carville and his evil band of political mercenaries. Barak was a near-disaster for Israel. I wish Netanyahu were back in power, and that may happen. He has a good grasp on political realities, and is easy on the eyes.

LOL Well, from a guys point of view he certainly looks like more of a warrior than that short fat pudgy Barack. But you're right. It was all a game for Clinton. The audacity. Imagine another country - China for instance - trying to influence our presidential election.

Regarding Israel, isn't it interesting how they can recycle their leaders?

20 posted on 09/20/2001 5:01:40 PM PDT by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-44 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson