Skip to comments.THEY KNEW: FBI Admits 'Protocols Were Not Followed' On Tip About Florida High School Shooter
Posted on 02/16/2018 2:44:54 PM PST by Kaslin
UPDATE: Florida Gov. Rick Scott calls on FBI Director to resign for failing to follow up on tip about Florida shooter (via CBS News):
Florida's Republican Gov. Rick Scott is calling on FBI Director Christopher Wray to resign, after the FBI admitted it received a tip about the suspect in the Parkland shooting as recently as January, but failed to follow through on it.
The FBI admitted in a statement Friday that it received a call on Jan. 5 detailing concerns about Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old law enforcement officials believe is responsible for the deaths of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School earlier this week. The FBI determined "protocols were not followed" when a tip was phoned into the FBI's public access line, but was never forwarded to the FBI's Miami field office and received no further investigation.
Scott called that "unacceptable" in a statement he issued Friday.
"The FBI's failure to take action against this killer is unacceptable," Scott said. "The FBI has admitted that they were contacted last month by a person who called to inform them of Cruz's 'desire to kill people,' and 'the potential of him conducting a school shooting.'
BREAKING: Florida governor calls on FBI director to resign after discovering FBI failed to investigate tip about Florida school shooter.— The Associated Press (@AP) February 16, 2018
They knew, folks. The FBI knew and didn’t follow proper protocols on a tip about Nikolas Cruz, the shooter in the recent high school shooting in Florida. FBI Director Christopher Wray said the bureau was still investigating this matter, along with reviewing the processes in which such information from citizens offering tips are analyzed. The FBI received a tip on January 5 that Cruz had the potential to commit a school shooting Cruz killed 17 people and wounded at least a dozen more at Marjory Douglas Stoneman High School in Parkland, Florida on Wednesday (via Politico):
The Federal Bureau of Investigation acknowledged Friday that some “protocols were not followed” after they obtained a tip in January that shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz had the potential of “conducting a school shooting.”
“We are still investigating the facts,” FBI Director Christopher Wray said in a statement. “I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public.”
The FBI said a caller had provided them “information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts” on Jan. 5.
So it's another one where the authorities knew about the guy, but concluded there was nothing to be done. Added to Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Pulse, and Sutherland Springs.— Gabriel Malor (@gabrielmalor) February 15, 2018
The New York Times has more:
The F.B.I. failed to act on a tip in January from a person close to Nikolas Cruz warning that he owned a gun and might conduct a school shooting, the bureau acknowledged on Friday, in its first admission that it might have been able to prevent the deadly attack at a Florida high school.
The tipster said Mr. Cruz had a “desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts” and advised the F.B.I. of “the potential of him conducting a school shooting,” the agency said in a statement.
The information should have been assessed and forwarded to the Miami F.B.I. field office, the agency said.
The FBI was alerted about Cruz in September, when he was reported by a YouTube vlogger for making a threat in his comments section. The FBI concluded that they couldn’t verify the identity of the user (via Miami Herald):
Thursday morning, the FBI special agent in charge for South Florida told reporters that agents — after “reviews and checks” — could not identify the user behind the YouTube comment.
“We were unable to identify the person who made the comment,” said Rob Lasky said at a press conference, also saying that no other information was included with that comment which would “indicate a time, location, or the true identity of the person who made the comment.”
The comment, posted in September on a YouTube page of a Mississippi bail bondsman, was made by someone with the user name “nikolas cruz.”
Ben Bennight, a Gulfport bail bondsman who goes by “Ben the Bondsman” on YouTube, said in a video posted Wednesday night that he spoke to FBI agents in September about a comment left on one of his videos by someone with the username “nikolas cruz.”
“Im going to be a professional school shooter,” the commenter wrote.
He used his own name as his YouTube handle. https://t.co/uovFXd4Itq— jon gabriel (@exjon) February 15, 2018
Also, Cruz was the subject of an email warning at Marjory Douglas Stoneman about being him a potential threat to students and should be barred from venturing onto campus with a backpack. In the past, he brought bullets to school, reported the Herald:
He preened with guns and knives on social media, bragged about shooting rats with his BB gun and got kicked out of school — in part because he had brought bullets in his backpack, according to one classmate. He was later expelled for still-undisclosed disciplinary reasons.
The portrait of Nikolas Cruz, suspected of fatally shooting 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and wounding 15 others at his former school, is a troubled teen with few friends and an obsessive interest in weapons. Administrators considered him enough of a potential threat that one teacher said a warning was emailed last year against allowing him on the campus with a backpack.
These parents need to sue
The FBI is good at not following protocols.
Pretty sad when America sees that an Indian call center would have handled it better.
Fake News networks will find a way to blame Trump for this.
The FBI needs to be done away with. Wray should resign after he completes the decommissioning.
So did the name "Cruz" have anything to do with this "no action taken". Bet?
I stand with Gov. Scott. Wray has to go.
I already wanted him out of that position anyway.
Qanon was right. A “false flag” was coming!
The FBI was afraid of getting that Wal Mart stench out of their clothes if they had to interview someone outside of D.C.
I call on the fbi to be dismantled and replaced by Homeland Security. Between texting their adulterous lovers and going to secret planning meeting to “insure” that trump’s election is disregarded, they should pack their boxes up and get out!! With the revelation today that they knew about this thug and did nothing , we can conclude the locals aren’t worth a damned either. Close it permanently.
Too busy framing up a duly elected sitting President.
Do you think the information (sending it to the field office) could have been held back on purpose to create another horrible shooting?
The FBI has been screwing things up since 9/11..Boston Marathon, Pulse Nightclub Jihadist attack..this whole “See something say something” is such utter garbage. I blame the FBI office in Miami more than I do Wray he probably had no idea about this..you call in a THREAT to the FBI and they do NOTHING..gee what did Cruz need to do put his plans on the Goodyear Blimp?
If Cruz knew of President Trump colluding with Russia the FBI would have been at his house in two seconds flat
Maybe if they had spent less time on phoney dossiers they would have caught this ahole!!!
“Do you think the information (sending it to the field office) could have been held back on purpose to create another horrible shooting?”
No,and you really shouldn’t let yourself go there,that type of thinking could drive us all nuts.
These FBI guys were TOO BUSY TRYING TO OVERTHROW THE GOVT!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.