Skip to comments.House Report: Al Qaeda in Maghreb and Al Qaeda-Linked Ansar al-Sharia Did Benghazi
Posted on 12/28/2013 3:32:40 PM PST by xzins
A congressional report released Tuesday on the terrorist attack on the U.S. State Department compound in Benghazi, Libya says there is ample evidence that the attack was planned and intentional and that al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and al Qaeda-linked Ansar al-Sharia joined in carrying it out.
The report also notes that al Qaeda-linked Ansar al-Sharia took credit for the attack while it was still unfolding, and that the State Department reported this at the time to other government agencies, including the White House.
The volatile security environment erupted on September 11, 2012, when militias composed of al Qaeda-affiliated extremists attacked U.S. interests in Benghazi, says the report.
The U.S. government immediately had information that the attacks were conducted by al Qaeda-affiliated terrorists, yet Administration officials downplayed those connections, and focused on the idea that provocation for violence resulted from a YouTube video, says the report that was produced by the Republican staffs of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, the House Foreign Affairs Committee, the House Judiciary Committee, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, and the House Armed Services Committee.
The attackers were members of extremist groups, including the Libya-based Ansar al-Sharia (AAS) and al Qaeda in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM)," says the report.
The report includes a timeline of the attack, which began at 9:42 p.m. Benghazi time or 3:42 p.m. Washington, D.C. time. The timeline says attackers from unspecified other groups also joined with members of Ansar al-Sharia and Al Qaeda in the Maghreb in conducting the attack.
The attack begins at the TMF [State Department Temporary Mission Facility] in Benghazi, the timeline starts. Dozens of lightly armed men approached the TMF, quickly and deliberately breached the front gate, and set fire to the guard house and main diplomatic building. The attackers included members of Libya-based Ansar al-Sharia (AAS) and al Qaeda in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), among other groups.
The report says the State Department quickly notified the White House that the attack was taking place in Benghazi, and that within two hours of the start of the attack the department was telling the White House that al Qaeda-linked Ansar al-Sharia was claiming responsibility for it.
In an 'Ops Alert' issued shortly after the attack began, the State Department Operations Center notified senior Department officials, the White House Situation Room, and others, that the Benghazi compound was under attack and that 'approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well, said the report.
Two hours later, the Operations Center issued an alert that al-Qaida linked Ansar al-Sharia (AAS) claimed responsibility for the attack and had called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli, said the report. Neither alert mentioned that there had been a protest at the location of the attacks. Further, Administration documents provided to the Committees show that there was ample evidence that the attack was planned and intentional. The coordinated, complex, and deadly attack on the [CIAs] Annex [down the road from the State Department mission]--that included sophisticated weapons--is perhaps the strongest evidence that the attacks were not spontaneous.
The U.S. government knew immediately that the attacks constituted an act of terror, says the report.
The report says that the Obama administration purged references to al Qaeda from the talking points that U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Susan Rice used when she appeared on Sept. 16 on five Sunday talks shows to discuss the Benghazi attacks.
After the attacks, the Administration perpetuated a deliberately misleading and incomplete narrative that the violence grew out of a demonstration caused by a YouTube video, says the report. "The Administration consciously decided not to discuss extremist involvement or previous attacks against Western interests in Benghazi."
To protect the State Department, the Administration deliberately removed references to al Qaeda-linked groups and previous attacks in Benghazi in the talking points used by Ambassador Rice, thereby perpetuating the deliberately misleading and incomplete narrative that the attacks evolved from a demonstration caused by a YouTube video, says the report.
The reports criticizes the administration for responding to the attack as a criminal event requiring an FBI investigation rather than as an act of terrorism against the United States requiring a military response.
It was only after the September 11, 2001 attacks, when the United States responded to terrorism with military force, that the government successfully brought some of the perpetrators of those attacks and the previous attacks to justice, the report concludes. Terrorists who successfully attack U.S. interests are not deterred by criminal investigations. ..- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/house-report-al-qaeda-maghreb-and-al-qaeda-linked-ansar-al-sharia-did-benghazi#sthash.Q1w4AWc2.dpuf
To protect the State Department, the Administration deliberately removed references to al Qaeda-linked groups and previous attacks in Benghazi in the talking points used by Ambassador Rice, thereby perpetuating the deliberately misleading and incomplete narrative that the attacks evolved from a demonstration caused by a YouTube video, says the report. - See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/house-report-al-qaeda-maghreb-and-al-qaeda-linked-ansar-al-sharia-did-benghazi#sthash.Q1w4AWc2.dpuf
I thought it was a video that caused them to go nuts on the US? That’s what Mrs Clinton told us.
So the entire association with Al Queda was covered up for the election?
And we still don’t have the full report.
This is the Benghazi Index
Anyone wanting on or off the Benghazi ping list, please advise me or Republicanprofessor.
“Don’t shoot, don’t shoot, Dr. Morsi sent us”
Now will we hear that video played before Congress?
May the Truth of Benghazi come “out of Egypt” during the Morsi trial. Expose the Whole Truth, no matter who is hurt.
That's weid, didn't the then Secretary of State say something about faulty intelligence?
Multitudes of us will NEVER forget.
I hope Hillary runs for her party’s nomination. Then we can haunt her at every appearance and remind her of Ben Ghazi and the part she played so well.
This Administration from Indonesia, Iran and
who knows where WILLINGLY
left Americans behind to be murdered and raped.
And what has the US Congress done??
They continued the treason, giving al Qaeda
both MANPADs and sarin.
Those who jumped off the WTC on 911 could not
have imagined the treason that was coming.
The New York Times—mouthpiece of the Obama White House—is going back to blaming “in part” the anti-Islamic video. This is crazy after every authority inside and outside the government ultimately concluded the attack on the consulate was preplanned and executed with precision. The Times claims they could find no link between Al Qaeda and the assailants but they are mincing the truth. Many Al Qaeda affiliates and franchises don't use the “Al Qaeda” designation in their name or propaganda. The Times is lying to protect Obama and Hillary.
The media came to Obama’s aid even in the debates. Romney should have pressed the issue. Instead he shut up about it.
This whole issue of fact is ignored, simply to pave the way for Hillary Clintons run for the presidency.
Obama is an expert at changing history. Now Hillary and her supporter’s do the same.The media will not call then on it, so Hillary’s conclusion of faulty intel will stand, as will , “ What does it matter? “ if 4 people died while Hillary redefined “reality.”
Hillery’s success as a Secretary of State is so powerful that the very sequence and manifestation of events change at her whim.
No wonder the military, CIA and Secret Service are so demoralized. Whether they live of die depends strictly on
the whim of tyrants.
And the Slimes is covering for Hillary with this article here:
Peter King Blasts NYT Benghazi Report: ‘Misleading’
Sunday, December 29, 2013 08:01 AM
By: Newsmax Wires
One of the Houses top congressional experts on terrorism blasted a New York Times report published Saturday that says al-Qaida did not carry out the 2012 attack on the U.S diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya.
The Times report, based on numerous interviews with Islamists in Benghazi, concludes that there was no evidence that al-Qaida or any other international terrorist groups had any role in the assault that killed four Americans on September 11, 2012.
Instead, the Times reports that the attack was fueled in large part by anger at an American-made anti-Islamic video, as the Obama administration first claimed.
But New York Rep. Peter King, member and former chairman of the Houses Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, told Fox News that the storys premise that other anti-American militias led the attack is at best academic.
Its misleading, King said. Its a distinction without a difference.
But it only takes ONE of the 'so demoralized' to grow a spine and speak out. (While protected by their own militia all hiding in an underground bunker, or speaking from a foreign country)
There's GOT to be one with the goods.
Maybe the two (so far) jihadi attacks in Volgograd will inspire Putin to start a REAL war against Islam. Which may spark a wholesale one.
The muzzies won’t rest until everywhere they live looks like the last day.
I think a great war against Islam is inevitable.