Skip to comments.Rob Bell, Homosexuality, and the New Cultural Acceptance
Posted on 03/23/2013 2:11:02 PM PDT by BurningOak
With that said and meant, this shift is altogether unsurprising. The new mark of being culturally acceptable is affirming homosexuality as virtuous (not merely okay, but virtuous, even exemplary). This is the litmus test. I dont think many of us expected that it would so quickly fill this role, but it has. The mark of being a progressive, kind, socially courageous person today is simply this: affirming same-sex marriage. There are other cardinal virtues of a contemporary au courant identity, but this is the lodestar, the one that hangs ones personal moon.
This shows us that the cultural middle is indeed vanishing. The space where broad-minded people could hang out is rapidly disappearing. Either you are for same-sex marriage or not. If youre not, and youre a known commodity, youre now behind the curve in a public, image-driven sense. Expect in coming days to see a veritable torrent of declarations of affirmation of SSM. Celebrities, news anchors, intellectuals, politicians, religious types, tycoons, and many more are heading to the pro-marriage exits. Theyre going to be calling press conferences as quickly as they can. Theyll be getting into line with the value that drives the New Cultural Acceptance: affirming same-sex marriage.
(Excerpt) Read more at cbmw.org ...
Hard to believe how far we have come in just 10 years since a bare majority of the Massachusetts Supreme Court took the great leap forward at the end of 2003...
I will never be a progressive, kind, socially courageous person today or any other day.
I have nothing against Homosexuals as long as they leave me and mine alone.
One of them touches me or my kid and he better be ready to rumble.
They are sick mentally ill people and it is a sin to allow them to call anything they do a marriage.
Just because the media generally and hollywood accept Queerdom does not mean it’s generally accepted by most of the people..
The media is ultra left wing.. but “the people” are not..
Most the likely the opposite of what the media “IS FOR” the people are against..
Which demands media propaganda.. to “queer” the issue..
And then GOD laughed...
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
Wow, Rob Bell is calling for people to repent? If I had to guess, I’d say he rejects the whole concept because “Love Wins” and everyone ends up in Heaven. . .right Rob? However, it’s predictable coming from Bell because he’s calling on people to “repent” from believing in the Bible.
I’m sure this will keep the pieces of silver rolling in from the itchy-eared people who want to delude themselves that they’re Christians. Believe and be obedient or don’t waste your time folks.
Either you are for same-sex marriage or not. If youre not, and youre a known commodity, youre now behind the curve in a public, image-driven sense.
I could care less what the public thinks of my opinion, I care what the public thinks of my opinion, I care about what the Lord thinks.
Once again liberals show their ignorance. We don’t hate fellow human beings, but we DO NOT have to accept everything they do.
What truly bothers me is the liberal hypocrisy. They want the unacceptable to look acceptable, another feel good project for votes. Same thing with African Americans. We’ll give you 40 acres and a mule, just vote for us and we’ll help you. That was 148 yrs ago, and they are still living in poverty and hoping for freedom.
I do not accept homosexuality, and I never will. It doesn’t mean I hate the person, just the act itself. It is an abomination. I just hope the feel good crowd has a good explaination when they come face to face with the Lord. He isn’t going to give them a vote on the subject.
-- commonly attributed to Martin Luther
One day people are going to be made to realize again that homosexuality is in fact a disease by the simple product of its hindrance of normal and essential biological function.
Bell is a nut. He has basically repudiated the Bible.
He did that years ago when he advocated universalism. He, Mclaren and the whole “emergent” movement just offer up recycled liberalism.
Silent Majority become the Silent Minority.
People should have seen it coming.
I am against homosexuality & abortion. Those are the sins. I do believe that people are attracted to persons of the same sex but that doesn’t mean they must have a sexual relationship. They can be chaste by making a choice and exercising discipline. Even living in the same house is not a sin, but it might be a temptation needing to be avoided. Society tell us that sexuality is the end all be all. It is not. There are many choices to make in life. For Christians who love God and their neighbor as themselves, first and foremost is not to sin.
Abortion is murder. There are other solutions but the world has said that we should choose sin because it is easier. They leave out the easier but more painful part. Again, disciplining ourselves to saving a sexual relationship for the marriage bed is the right choice. But when faced with an unwanted pregnancy, it doesn’t mean the baby(tissue to the world) is unwanted. Respect the life and honor God by making the right choices. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Give the precious baby a life with someone who respects its sacred creation as a child of God
Wordly homosexuals & abortionist can’t separate the sin from the sinner so they lump them together & say all have rights. Jesus died to save the sinner. Once that gift of eternal love & grace is accepted the sin needs to be dealt with It is possible to love the sinner & hate the sin. You don’t have to agree with what they & the world think is best.
We need to follow Jesus, not Rob Bell, Joel Osteen, John Calvin, Rick Warren, our Senators, celebraties.... Jesus is the Way.. The thoughts of great men might help us see the way but only as they are examined in light of scripture. Jesus is our Saviour & our only Hope.
If you believe this you either aren't paying attention or have intentionally buried your head in the sand.
Once upon a time, not even that many years ago, what you say was true. Today, it's a whole new ballgame. Polling is increasingly showing wide majorities in favor of gay marriage. 10 years ago people would have opposed letting open gays in the military, today they support it. There is a reason you don't hear conservatives talking about repealing the law allowing homo's in armed forces. We now have a president that ran supporting homo-marriage and he won - despite having utterly failed economically. Gay marriage and gay rights used to be a winning issue for conservatives, is increasingly a loser. The media, Hollywierd and the entertainment establishments succeeded at changing American's opinion on this issue.
“we need to repent.”
Rob Bell says we need to repent. He’s right in general, but why? If he bases our need to repent on anything in the Bible, then he has to face other parts of the Bible that are inconvenient to his point of view. Why does Rob Bell get to pick and choose? Liberal Christianity is as stupid as liberal anything. It’s a house of cards that cannot hold up under the weight of its own contradictions.
I think The homosexual agenda is a fad at the moment with little to no long term legs. for the simple reason that “Gay marriage” makes no sense and serves no constructive(family) propose to justify its burden on either the parties or sociology.
At the end of the day whether liberals and their victims choose to acknowledged this fact or not Homosexuality is a diseases.
The gays knew what they were doing back in the 1960s when they began their assault on the entire media and entertainment industry, slowly but surely, they gained a foothold....and now they’ve gained enough power that basically acceptance of their lifestyle is the main litmus test in gaining employment in those industries.
Liberal chrislanity is and always has been a dying religion because if you accept the tenets of liberalism than Christianity falls apart.
This is why churches that compromise die, where as the largest & most successful churches are the most devout.
Most people, most of the time, especially in a democratic society, will tend to go along with what they think most of their peers believe in.
20 years ago one had to beat against the current to be pro-gay. I was recently reading a late-60s John D. MacDonald noval, and the hero casually expressed anti-gay and lesbian attitudes that were utterly unexceptional at the time. Orson Scott Card is presently being boycotted because he expressed much less negative attitudes in print 20 years ago.
A year or two ago we were probably at 50/50. The trend is only in one direction, and as it gets harder to be anti, fewer people will be willing to fess up to such a hateful opinion.
This is, BTW, exactly what happened with regard to racism. Such a belief system is acceptable in very few places in American society today. Which is an example of this dynamic working in a positive way.
The pro-gay groups have succeeded in equating a belief that homosexual activity is sinful with racism, an example of the dynamic working negatively. IMO.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.