Skip to comments.Guitar World Magazine: Eddie Van Halen Named #1 Guitarist of All Time (Top 100 List)
Posted on 10/11/2012 10:37:43 AM PDT by My Favorite Headache
1. Edward Van Halen - Van Halen
2. Brian May - Queen
3. Alex Lifeson - Rush
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Joe Satriani
6. Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
7. Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath
8. Stevie Ray Vaughn
9. Dimebag Darrell - Pantera
10. Steve Vai
11. Randy Rhoads - Ozzy Osbourne/Quiet Riot
12. Dave Mustaine - Megadeth
13. David Gilmour - Pink Floyd
14. Les Paul
15. Duane Allman
16. Robert Johnson
17. John Petrucci - Dream Theater
18. Zakk Wylde - Ozzy Osbourne
19. James Hetfield - Metallica
20. Ritchie Blackmore - Rainbow/Deep Purple
21. Angus Young - AC/DC
22. Slash - Guns N Roses
23. Paul Gilbert - Mr. Big/Racer X
24. Buddy Guy
25. George Harrison - The Beatles
26. Vernon Reid - Living Color
27. Frank Zappa
28. Eric Clapton
29. Billy Gibbons - ZZ Top
30. Chet Atkins
31. Dickey Betts - Allman Brothers
32. Django Reinhardt
33. Mark Morton - Mastodon
34. Mark Tremonti - Creed
35. Warren Haynes - Allman Brothers
36. Kirk Hammett - Metallica
37. Jerry Cantrell - Alice In Chains
39. Jeff Beck
40. Keith Richards - The Rolling Stones
41. Michael Schenker
42. Carlos Santana
43. Yngwie Malmsteen
44. Chuck Berry
45. John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers
46. Jason Becker - David Lee Roth/Solo
47. Eric Johnson
48. Joe Bonamassa - Black Country Communion
49. Alexi Laiho
50. Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
51. Allan Holdsworth
52. Joe Walsh - The Eagles
53. Rick Nielsen - Cheap Trick
54. Jerry Garcia - Grateful Dead
55. B.B. King
56. Lindsey Buckingham - Fleetwood Mac
57. Tom Morello - Rage Against The Machine
58. Steve Lukather - Toto
59. Son House
60. John Lee Hooker
61. Steve Howe - Asia/Yes
62. Chuck Schuldiner - Death
63. John McLaughlin
64. Albert Lee
65. Pete Townshend - The Who
66. Alex Skolnick - Testament
67. Johnny Winter
68. George Lynch - Dokken/Lynch Mob
69. Kerry King - Slayer
70. Michael Angelo Batio
71. Jeff Loomis - Nevermore
72. Steve Morse - Deep Purple/ Dixie Dreggs
73. Rory Gallagher
74. Ted Nugent
75. Joe Perry - Aerosmith
76. Al Di Meola
77. Andy Summers - The Police
78. Chris Broderick - Megadeth
79. Gary Moore
80. KK Downing - Judas Priest
81. Nuno Bettencourt - Extreme
82. Ropert Fripp - King Crimson
83. Glenn Tipton - Judas Priest
84. Malcolm Young - AC/DC
85. Jeff Hanneman - Slayer
86. Peter Frampton
87. Synyster Gates - Aveneged Sevenfold
88. Neil Young
89. Kenny Wayne Shepherd
90. Robin Trower
91. T-Bone Walker
92. Ace Frehley
93. Gary Rossington - Lynyrd Skynryd
94. Albert King
95. Jack White - White Stripes
96. Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits
97. Tosin Abasi - Animals As Leaders
98. Derek Trucks - Allman Brothers
99. John 5
100. Wes Montgomery
Mark Tremonti (#34) is a MADMAN on the strings. He is by far my rock guitar idol.
Of note, he’s also the lead guitar in Alter Bridge and recently released a self-titled album (Tremonti) that’s worth a listen.
I’m not into heavy rock so can’t judge their talent. Seeing Les, Chet and Django on the list was good enough for me!
hmmmmmm... the list and the order...
Looking at that list, well, I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time.
Come to think of it - I haven’t purchased Guitar World in a long time either.
I’m a bit surprised Roy Clark isn’t on the list.
If this list doesn’t have Phil Keaggy, then it’s garbage.
List is full of it.
Jim Heath (aka Rev. Horton Heat) should easily be in the top 5 if not No. 1 of all time.
Also, the list is missing Phil Keaggy.
Right on with Eddie Van Halen at the top.
No Vito Bratta?
So, according to Guitar Player magazine, #21 Angus Young of AC/DC is better than:
#25 George Harrison
#28 Eric Clapton
#39 Jeff Beck
#40 Keith Richards
#44 CHUCK BERRY for cryin outloud.
#65 Pete Townsend
What about Alvin Lee ‘10 Years After’.
My eyes popped out when I saw George at 25. I stopped reading when I saw he was above Eric Clappner.
Les Paul should be in the top 10 at least.
see my post...we think alike.
Pat Travers? I guess to each his own.
I like Eddie, good guitar player, but let’s not go crazy, he ain’t even top 20. And he needs to lose points for wanting to be a keyboard player, something at which he sucked.
Really, and Robert Cray, How about Elvin Bishops lead man, Johnny Deranza (? Spelled correct)... Not to mention SR Vaughn should be number one... Was Dick Dale on it?...
The Reverend Horton Heat would eat Eddie’s lunch. NO PROBLEM!
Also no Rory Gallagher?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.