Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Man Gets Prison For Stabbing Niece's Dog (9 years!)
The Indy Channel ^ | July 28, 2006 | AP

Posted on 07/28/2006 10:18:14 AM PDT by Abathar

LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles man has been sentenced to nine years in state prison for stabbing his niece's German shepherd between the eyes.

The dog survived the November attack.

The judge issued the maximum sentence to Hugo Vargas Garcia, despite a defense attorney's plea that he is a paranoid schizophrenic.

The dog's owner, Judy Ream, and her husband testified during the trial that they saw Garcia plunge a Swiss Army knife into their 2-year-old dog's skull because he was upset by its barking. Ream pleaded with the judge to show no leniency, contending that Garcia showed no remorse.

Garcia did not hear his sentence because the judge ordered him removed from the courtroom for repeatedly screaming at the prosecutor.

TOPICS: Local News; Pets/Animals
KEYWORDS: animalcruelty; animalrights; doggieping
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-60 last
To: Abathar

Well, was it YOUR cow?
susie

51 posted on 07/28/2006 12:32:56 PM PDT by brytlea (amnesty--an act of clemency by an authority by which pardon is granted esp. to a group of individual)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

I'm an animal lover just as much as the next person trust me, but 9 years is outrageous!

Moreover, the dog lived.

Many child molesters and rapists get out of prison in far less time than that. These overzealous judges need to be put on a short leash.

However, coming out of L.A. county, I'm not surprised by the sentence.

52 posted on 07/28/2006 12:33:36 PM PDT by MotleyGirl70
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: brytlea
"Well, was it YOUR cow? "

Nope, the thing just wandered in my pasture so....... :-)

53 posted on 07/28/2006 12:51:33 PM PDT by Abathar (Proudly catching hell for posting without reading the article since 2004)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 51 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog; Joe 6-pack
Two headed German shepherds, a horse with one head, but two bodies-- them's nothing!

Step right up folks, and see the amazing Ursa, the bearded two-legged dog monster!

She has no body! Just two legs and a very unhappy look on her face ('cause her weird Mom made her wear this stupid hat.)

54 posted on 07/28/2006 12:52:37 PM PDT by RepoGirl ("Bobby, if you weren't my son... I'd hug you...")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: RepoGirl

Wasn't life hard enough without the hat? :~)

55 posted on 07/28/2006 12:55:33 PM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

Uh oh...russlin' ;)
susie

56 posted on 07/28/2006 1:01:46 PM PDT by brytlea (amnesty--an act of clemency by an authority by which pardon is granted esp. to a group of individual)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies]

To: dfwgator

Amen to that!

57 posted on 07/28/2006 2:14:47 PM PDT by MissEdie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Re your post 15, now do you think that if this judge could make this sentence (and it sticks), don't you think that he is acting within the law? Your cows are anothing matter, don't you think?

58 posted on 07/28/2006 4:39:17 PM PDT by OldPossum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog

I have an entire series, action shots if you will, of her taking the hat off with her paw and then taking the hat to her 'lair' for a disposal.

59 posted on 07/28/2006 5:23:20 PM PDT by RepoGirl ("Bobby, if you weren't my son... I'd hug you...")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 55 | View Replies]

A very appropriate sentence in my opinion. Now, if judges would just hand down that hard a sentence when criminals abuse children, the world would be a much better place.

60 posted on 08/01/2006 7:39:39 PM PDT by Goodgirlinred ( GoodGirlInRed Four More Years!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-60 last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson