Since Nov 20, 2001
Yeah, this is as good as I get. In any potential mate you have BRAINS, BEAUTY, and SANITY, but you are only allowed to pick TWO. My wife picked brains and sanity. Its like I tell everyone. Im aging as well as Sean Connery. I just didnt start out as good looking.
After my heart attack I realized that life was too short to waste on things you dont enjoy. I have since quit my job of 10 years and am charging towards an eventual PhD in History. I now have a masters degree in Military History with a concentration in World War II and have received two scholarships to begin my PhD work at the University of North Texas. Since my specialty is World War II, Homer_J_Simpsons Realtime Threads a valuable resource for me and one I recommend to anyone who is interested in marching through the years of the Second World War.
1. A Gathering Darkness: The Coming of War to the Far East and the Pacific, 1921-1942 Haruo Tohmatsu and H. P. Willmott
2. A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge - Charles B. MacDonald
3. A War to be Won: Fighting the Second World War - Williamson Murray and Allan R. Millett
4. A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II - Gerhard L. Weinberg
5. Agent Zigzag: At True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love and Betrayal - Ben MacIntyre
6. Allies and Adversaries: The Joint Chiefs of Staff, The Grand Alliance, and U.S. Strategy in World War II - Mark A. Stoler
7. Americas School for War Peter J. Schifferele
8. American Guerrilla: My War Behind Japanese Lines Roger Hilsman
9. An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 - Rick Atkinson
10. Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-1945 - Max Hastings
11. At Dawn We Slept; The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor Gordon W. Prange with Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillon
12. Atlantic Convoys and Nazi Raiders: The Deadly Voyage of the HMS Jervis Bay - Bruce Allen Watson
13. Bataan Uncensored Colonel E.B. Miller
14. Before Stalingrad: Barbarossa Hitlers Invasion of Russia 1941 David Glantz
15. Behind Hitlers Lines: The True Story of the Only Soldier to Fight for Both American and the Soviet Union in World War II Thomas H. Taylor
16. Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin Timothy Snyder
17. Challenge for the Pacific: Guadalcanal: The Turning Point of the War Robert Leckie
18. Command Culture: Officer Education in the U. S. Army and the German Armed Forces, 1901-1940, and the Consequences for World War II Jörg Muth
19. Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II - From the Battle of the Bulge to the Crossing of the Rhine - Charles B. MacDonald
20. Countdown to Valkyrie: The July Plot to Assassinate Hitler Nigel Jones
21. D-Day: The Battle for Normandy Anthony Beevor
22. D-Day with the Screaming Eagles George E. Koskimaki
23. Darkest Hour: The True Story of Lark Force at Rabaul, Australias Worst Military Disaster of World War II Bruce Gamble
24. Day of Infamy Walter Lord
25. Day of Lightning Years of Scorn: Walter C. Short and the Attack on Pearl Harbor Charles R. Anderson
26. Eagle Against the Sun: The American War with Japan - Ronald H. Spector.
27. Fatefull Choices: Ten Decisions That Changed the World, 1940-1941 Ian Kershaw
28. First into Nagasaki George Weller
29. Flight from the Reich: Refugee Jews, 1933-1946 Deborah Dwork and Robert Jan van Pelt
30. From Pearl Harbor to Calvary: The True Story of the Lead Pilot of the Pearl Harbor Attack and his Conversion to Christianity Mitsuo Fuchida
31. General Wainwrights Story General Johnathan M. Wainwright
32. Going Back: A Navy Airman in the Pacific War Charles Furey
33. Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle Richard B. Frank
34. Guadalcanal Diary Richard Tregaskis
35. Hells Highway: A Chronicle of the 101st Airborne in the Holland Campaign, September November 1944 George E. Koskimaki
36. Hells Highway: The True Story of the 101st Airborne Division During Operation Market Garden, September 17-25, 1944 John Antal
37. Helmet for my Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific Robert Leckie
38. Hiroshima John Hersey
39. Hitler Joachim Fest
40. Hitler: 1889-1936 Hubris - Ian Kershaw
41. Hitler: 1936-1945 Nemesis - Ian Kershaw
42. Hitler Strikes Poland: Blitzkrieg, Ideology, and Atrocity Alexander B. Rossino
43. Hitlers First War Thomas Weber
44. Hitlers Vienna: A Dictators Apprenticeship Brigitte Hamann
45. Hitlers World View: A Blueprint for Power Eberhard Jäckel
46. Holocaust: The Nazi Persecution and Murder of the Jews Peter Longerich
47. Holocaust: A History - Deborah Dwork and Robert Jan van Pelt
48. How They Won the War in the Pacific: Nimitz and his Admirals Edwin P. Hoyt
49. Human Smoke: The Beginnings of World War II, the End of Civilization Nicholson Baker
50. Ike: An American Hero Michael Korda
51. Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway The Great Naval Battles as Seen Through Japanese Eyes Captain Tameichi Hara
52. Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot - Starr Smith
53. Jungvolk: The Story of a Boy Defending Hitlers Thrid Reich Wilhelm Gehlen and Don Gregory
54. Kamikaze Diaries: Reflections of Japanese Student Soldiers Emiko Ohnuki-Teirney
55. LeMay: The Life and Wars of General Curtis LeMay - Warren Kozak
56. Lieutenant Ramseys War: From Horse Soldier to Guerrilla Commander Edwin Price Ramsey
57. Masters of Death: The SS Einsatzgruppen and the Invention of the Holocaust - Richard Rhodes
58. Midway: The Battle that Doomed Japan, the Japanese Navys Story - Mitsuo Fuchida and Masatake Okumiya
59. Mirrors of Destruction - Omer Bartov
60. Neptunes Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal James D. Hornfischer
61. Now it can be Told: The Story of the Manhattan Project General Leslie M. Groves
62. Once a Marine: The Memoirs of General A. A. Vandegrift Commandant of the U. S. Marines in WWII A. A. Vandegrift
63. Operation Barbarossa and Germanys Defeat in the East David Stahel
64. Operation Drumbeat: The Dramatic True Story of Germanys First U-Boat Attacks along the American Coast in World War II - Michael Gannon
65. Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland Christopher R. Browning
66. Pacific Express: The Critical Role of Military Logistics in World War II William L. McGee and Sandra McGee
67. Panzer Leader General Heinz Guderian
68. Partners in Command: George Marshall and Dwight Eisenhower in War and Peace - Mark Perry
69. Pattons Peers: The Forgotten Allied Field Commanders of the Western Front 1944-1945 - John A. English
70. Pattons Third Army in World War II Michael Green and James D. Brown
71. Pearl Harbor: Final Judgement Henry C. Clausen and Bruce Lee
72. Pearl Harbor: Warning and Decision Roberta Wohlstetter
73. Pearl Harbor and the Coming of the Pacific War: A Brief History with Documents and Essays Akira Iriye
74. Pearl Harbor as History: Japanese-American Relations 1931-1941
75. Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45 - Max Hastings
76. Rommel: The End of a Legend Ralf Georg Reuth
77. Russias War: A History of the Soviet War Effort: 1941-1945 - Richard Overy
78. Slaughterhouse: The Handbook of the Eastern Front David Glantz, et al
79. Staff Ride Handbook for the Attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941: A Study of Defending America LTC Jeffrey J. Gudmens and the Staff Ride Team Combat Studies Institute
80. Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942-1943 - Antony Beevor
81. Supplying the Troops: General Somervell and American Logistics in WWII John Kennedy Ohl
82. Taking Command: General J. Lawton Collins from Guadalcanal to Utah Beach and Victory in Europe H. Paul Jeffers
83. The Atlantic Campaign - Dan Van der Vat
84. The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne in the Battle of the Bulge, December 19, 1944 January 17, 1945 George E. Koskimaki
85. The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West - Karl-Heinz Frieser
86. The Coming of the Third Reich Richard J. Evans
87. The Crisis of German Ideology: Intellectual Origins of the Third Reich George L. Mosse
88. The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 Rick Atkinson
89. The Fall of Berlin 1945 - Antony Beevor
90. The First Team: Pacific Naval Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway John B. Lundstrom
91. The Forgotten 500: The Untold Story of the Men Who Risked All for the Greatest Rescue Mission of World War II Gregory A. Freeman
92. The GI Offensive in Europe: The Triumph of American Infantry Divisions, 1941-1945 - Peter R. Mansoor
93. The Historical Atlas of World War II Alexander Swanston and Malcolm Swanston
94. The Knights of Bushido: A History of Japanese War Crimes During World War II - Lord Russell of Liverpool
95. The Last Year of the Luftwaffe: May 1944 to May 1945 - Alfred Price
96. The Library of Congress World War II Companion David M. Kennedy, ed
97. The Making of the Atomic Bomb - Richard Rhodes
98. The Mammoth Book of Eyewitness World War II: Over 200 First-Hand Accounts from the Six Years that Tore the World Apart - John E. Lewis (editor)
99. The Manhattan Project Cynthia C. Kelly, ed.
100. The Most Controversial Decision: Truman, the Atomic Bombs, and the Defeat of Japan Wilson D. Miscamble, C.S.C.
101. The Myth of the Eastern Front: The Nazi-Soviet War in American Popular Culture Ronald Smelser and Edward J. Davies II
102. The Nazi Dictatorship: Problems & Perspectives of Interpretation, 4th Edition Ian Kershaw
103. The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide - Robert Jay Lifton
104. The Origins of the Second World War in Asia and the Pacific Akira Iriye
105. The Pacific Campaign: The U. S. Japanese Naval War 1941-1945 Dan van der Vat
106. The Pacific War 1931-1945 - Saburō Ienaga
107. The Pacific War Papers: Japanese Documents of World War II Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillon, eds.
108. The Patton Papers: 1940-1945 Martin Blumenson
109. The Pearl Harbor Papers: Inside the Japanese Plans Donald M. Goldstein & Katherine V. Dillon, eds.
110. The Politics of Cultural Despair: A Study in the Rise of the Germanic Ideology Fritz Stern
111. The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II - Iris Chang
112. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany - William L. Shirer
113. The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945 - John Toland
114. The Road to Victory: The Untold Story of World War IIs Red Ball Express David P. Colley
115. The Wages of Destruction Adams Tooze
116. The Wannsee Conference and the Final Solution: A Reconsideration - Mark Roseman
117. Untold Valor: Forgotten Stories of American Bomber Crews over Europe in World War II Rob Morris 118. War as I Knew It General George S. Patton
119. War in the Boats: My WWII Submarine Battles Captain William J. Ruhe, USN (Ret.)
120. War in the Pacific: America at War - Jerome T. Hagen
121. War without Mercy: Race & Power in the Pacific War - John W. Dower
122. West Point Atlas for the Second World War: Asia and the Pacific - Thomas E. Griess (editor)
123. Why the Allies Won - Richard Overy
124. Why We Watched: Europe, America, and the Holocaust Theordore S. Hamerow
125. Winstons War: Churchill 1940-1945 Max Hastings
126. With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa - E.B. Sledge
127. Women of Valor: The Rochambelles on the WWII Front Ellen Hampton
128. Youre Stepping on My Cloak and Dagger Roger Hall
Other Historical Items in Library
A Revolutionary People at War: The Continental Army & American Character, 1775-1783 - Charles Royster.
Abraham Lincoln: The War Years, Vol. I Carl Sandburg
Abraham Lincoln: The War Years, Vol. II Carl Sandburg
Abraham Lincoln: The War Years, Vol. III Carl Sandburg
Abraham Lincoln: The War Years, Vol. IV Carl Sandburg
An American Iliad: The Story of the Civil War, 2nd Edition Charles P. Roland
Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era James M. McPherson
Life in the North During the Civil War: A Source History George Winston Smith and Charles Judah
The American Civil War and the Origins of Modern Warfare: Ideas, Organization, and Field Command - Edward Hagerman.
The Civil War and Reconstruction: A Documentary Reader Stanley Harrold (editor)
The Seventh Star of the Confederacy: Texas During the Civil War Kenneth W. Howell (editor)
World War I
A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire Geoffrey Wawro
Cataclysm: The First World War as Political Tragedy David Stevenson.
Doughboys, the Great War, and the Remaking of America - Jennifer D. Keene.
Enduring the Great War: Combat, Morale, and Collapse in the German and British Armies, 1914-1918 Alexander Watson.
Europes Last Summer: Who Started the Great War in 1914? David Fromkin.
Great War, Total War: Combat and Mobilization on the Western Front, 1914-1918 Roger Chickering and Stig Förster, editors.
Passchendaele: The Untold Story Robin Prior and Trevor Wilson.
The Eastern Front, 1914-1917 Norman Stone.
The First World War - John Keegan.
The Kaisers Army: The Politics of Military Technology in Germany during the Machine Age, 1870-1918 Eric Dorn Brose.
The Killing Ground: The British Army, The Western Front, & The Emergence of Modern War, 1900-1918 Tim Travers.
The Origins of the First World War James Joll
The Pity of War: Explaining World War I Niall Ferguson.
The Unquiet Western Front: Britains Role in Literature and History Brian Bond.
War and National Reinvention: Japan in the Great War, 1914-1919 Frederick R. Dickinson.
War Land on the Eastern Front: Culture, National Identity, and German Occupation in World War I Vejas Gabriel Liulevicius.
Yanks: The Epic Story of the American Army in World War I - John S. Eisenhower.
Combat Ready? The Eighth U. S. Army on the Eve of the Korean War Thomas E. Hanson
East of Chosin: Entrapment and Breakout in Korea, 1950 - Roy E. Appleman.
Red Wings Over the Yalu: China, the Soviet Union, and the Air War in Korea Xiaoming Zhang.
The Korean War Bruce Cumings
The Last Stand of Fox Comany: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat - Bob Drury and Tom Calvin.
This Kind of War T. R. Fehrenbach
100 Missions North: A Fighter Pilots Story of the Vietnam War - Brig. Gen. Ken Bell, USAF(ret).
The Army and Vietnam - Andrew F. Krepinevich, Jr.
Other War and Warfare
A Military History of China David A. Graff and Robin Higham, eds.
A Peoples Army: Massachusetts Soldiers & Society in the Seven Years War - Fred Anderson.
Blitzkrieg to Desert Storm: The Evolution of Operational Warfare Robert M. Citino.
Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice - David Galula.
Crusade: The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War - Rich Atkinson.
Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq Thomas E. Ricks
For the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States of America - Allan R. Millett & Peter Maslowski.
From War to Nationalism: Chinas Turning Point, 1924-1925 Arthur Waldron.
House to House: An Epic Memoir of War - SSG David Bellavia with John R. Bruning.
Major Problems in American Military History - John Whiteclay Chambers II and G. Kurt Piehler (editors).
Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age - Peter Paret (editor).
Modern Chinese Warfare, 1795-1989 Bruce A. Elleman.
On War - Carl von Clausewitz, edited and translated by Michael Howard and Peter Paret.
Operation Anaconda: Americas First Major Battle in Afghanistan Lester W. Grau and Dodge Billingsley
Roots of Strategy: Book 4 - David Jablonsky (editor).
Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East Michael B. Oren
Some Did It for Civilisation Some Did It for Their Country: A Revised View of the Boxer War Jane E. Elliott.
The Art of War - Sun Tzu, translated by Samuel B. Griffith.
The Art of War: War and Military Thought - Martin van Creveld.
The Battle for Manchuria and the Fate of China Siping, 1946 Harold M. Tanner
The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939 - Antony Beevor.
The Long March: The True History of Communist Chinas Founding Myth - Sun Shuyun.
The Name of War: King Philips War and the Origins of the American Identity - Jill Lepore.
The Philippine War, 1899-1902 - Brian McAllister Linn.
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli, translated by George Bull.
The Regulars: The American Army, 1898-1941 - Edward M. Coffman.
War, Politics and Society in Early Modern China, 900-1795 Peter Lorge.
Warfare and Society in Europe, 1792-1914 Geoffrey Wawro.
Other Histories and Worthwhile Reads
33 Questions About American History Youre not Supposed to Ask - Thomas E. Woods Jr.
A Fiery Peace in a Cold War - Neil Sheehan.
A History of the English Speaking Peoples, Vol. I: The Birth of Britain Winston S. Churchill
A History of the English Speaking Peoples, Vol. II: The New World Winston S. Churchill
A History of the English Speaking Peoples, Vol. III: The Age of Revolution Winston S. Churchill
A History of the English Speaking Peoples, Vol. IV: The Great Democracies Winston S. Churchill A Patriots History of the United States - From Columbus Great Discovery to the War on Terror - Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen.
A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide Samantha Power
All the U.S. Air Force Airplanes, 1907-1983 - Andrew W. Waters.
American Creation: Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic Joseph J. Ellis.
Aviation: From Our Earliest Attempts at Flight to Tomorrows Advanced Designs - Donald S. Lopez.
China: A History, Volume I From Neolithic Cultures through the Great Qing Empire Harold M. Tanner
China: A History, Volume II From the Great Qing Empire through the Peoples Republic of China Harold M. Tanner
Das Haus Habsburg: Die Geschichte Einer Europäischen Dynastie Adam Wandruszka
Energy from Heaven and Earth Edward Teller
Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew Alex Kershaw
Essays in Idleness: The Tsurezuregusa of Kenkō Donald Keene, trans.
For the Presidents Eyes Only: Secret Intelligence and the American Presidency from Washington to Bush Christopher Andrew.
Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State, 2nd Edition Randolph B. Campbell
Historians Fallacies: Toward a Logic of Historical Thought - David Hackett Fischer.
Historiography: Ancient, Medieval, and Modern - Ernst Breisach.
John Adams - David McCullough.
Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA Tim Weiner.
Modern Historiography: An Introduction - Michael Bently.
Murder Among the Rich and Famous: Celebrity Slaying that Shocked America - Jay Robert Nash.
Musuis Story: The Autobiography of a Tokugawa Samurai Katsu Kokichi, Teruko Craig, trans.
Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82 - Elizabeth A. Fenn.
Spaceflight: The Complete Illustrated Story - From Earliest Designs to Plans for the 21st Century - Valerie Neal, Cathleen S. Lewis, and Frank H. Winter.
Spycatcher: The Candid Autobiography of a Senior Intelligence Officer - Peter Wright.
The Battle for History: Re-fighting World War II - John Keegan.
The Cold War: A New History - John Lewis Gaddis.
The Diary of Lady Murasaki Richard Bowring, trans.
The Japanese Experience: A Short History of Japan W. G. Beasley
The Racial Thinking of Richard Wagner Leon Stein
The Reagan Diaries Ronald Reagan, edited by Douglas Brinkley.
The United Nations and International Politics Stephen Ryan.
A History of Modern Japan: Revised Edition Richard Storry
Alex Nigel Nicolson
Beacons in the Night: With the OSS and Titos Partisans in Wartime Yugoslavia Franklin Lindsay
Breakout and Pursuit Martin Blumenson
Burma: The Longest War 1941-1945 Louis Allen
Citizen Soldiers: From Normandy Beaches to the Surrender of Germany Stephen E. Ambrose
Comrades in Arms: British Aid to Russia 1941-1945 Joan Beaumont
Cross Channel Attack Gordon A Harrison
Crossing the Line: A Bluejackets Odyssey in World War II Alvin B. Kernan
Disputed Barricade; The Live and Times of Josip Bronz-Tito, Marshal of Jugoslavia Frizroy Maclean
Double Patriots: A Study of Japanese Nationalism Richard Storry
Eisenhowers Lieutenants: The Campaigns of France and Germany, 1944-45 Russell Weigley
European Theater of Operations: The Supreme Command Forrest Pogue
German Rule in Russia: 1941-1945 Alexander Dallin
Haile Selassies War Anthony Mockler
Hitlers Stalingrad Decisions Geoffrey Jukes
Hitlers Strategy 1940-1941: The Balkan Clue Martin L. Van Creveld
Hitlers War Directives 1939-1945 Hugh Trevor-Roper (editor) How War Came: The Immediate Origins of the Second World War 1938-1939 Donald Cameron Watt
Inside the Third Reich Albert Speer
Inside Hitlers Headquarters, 1939-45 Walter Warlimont
Last Battle: The Classic History of the Battle for Berlin Cornelius Ryan
Lorraine Campaign Hugh M. Cole
Lost Victories: The War Memoirs of Hitlers Most Brilliant General Erich Manstein
Nothing but Honour: The Story of the Warsaw Uprising, 1944 J.K. Zawodny
Rommel: The Desert Fox Desmond Young
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph T.E. Lawrence
Six Armies in Normandy: From D-Day to the Liberation of Paris; June 6 Aug 5, 1944 John Keegan
Strange Defeat Marc Bloch
Strange Victory: Hitlers Conquest of France Ernest R. May
The Beginning of the Road V.I. Chuikov
The Crucible of War: Western Desert 1941 Barrie Pitt
The Desert Generals Correlli Barnett
The Embattled Mountain F.W. Deakin
The Halder War Diary 1939-1942 Franz Halder
The Luftwaffe, 1933-45: Strategy for Defeat Williamson Murray
The Rape of Serbia: The British Role in Titos Grab for Power 1943-1944 Michael Lees
The Reckoning David Halberstam
The Road to Berlin: Stalins War with Germany John Erickson
The Road to Stalingrad John Erickson
The Siegfried Line Campaign European Theater of Operation Charles B. MacDonald
The Struggle for Europe Chester Wilmot
The War Hitler Won: The Fall of Poland, September 1939 Nicholas Bethell
To Lose a Battle: France 1940 Alistair Horne
Triumph in the Philippines: The War in the Pacific Robert Ross Smith
Ultra in the West Ralph Francis Bennett
Victory in Europe, 1945: The Last Offensive of World War II Charles B. MacDonald
Wartime Milvan Djilas
With Wings Like Eagles: A History of the Battle of Britain Michael Korda