Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

I Want A Puppy For Christmas!
Flyer and Gilligan ^ | December 13, 2001 | From the heart

Posted on 12/13/2001 12:07:14 PM PST by Flyer

I want a puppy for Christmas!

Okay, I don't really want a puppy for Christmas. Yes, I do want a puppy, but not quite yet. My last three dogs have come into my life as adults. I haven't had the joy (and aggravation) of raising a puppy since 1986.

I had four dogs until just a couple of years ago.I had to put one to sleep due to trauma injuries, and another that was old with failing health. A third I put to sleep just about six weeks ago. She had severe spondylosis, but lived 3 - 4 years longer than the vets had expected. I cherished every extra day we had together.

I have mentioned here before that I used to work with dogs (and cats), up until a year ago. I worked at an animal shelter for 3 years, a veterinarian for 6 years and 2 years at a first class boarding kennel. During those eleven years I touched the lives of about 10,000 different dogs. That's not an exaggeration. I crossed paths with about 100,000 dogs, but I'm just counting ones I, in some way,  have touched their lives. (yes, much of this was from the work at the shelter. We took in 35 - 40,000 animals a year) Of the ten thousand there were probably 500 that I knew very well from seeing them over and over at the vet and the boarding kennel. I loved them as my own dogs and they loved me as their own 'person'.

My new puppy will be a Golden Retriever named Re-Boot, in hopes of filling the shoes (paws?) of the Golden I recently lost. My remaining dog is a Golden and yes, they are my favorite breed. There any many other breeds I like, though. Border Collies are very smart and I will probably have one some day. Corgi's have taken a piece of my heart, too. I will probably never own a Standard Poodle but they are very fun dogs once you get to know them. Over the years it was quite an experience spotting the common traits in the different breeds.

I want a puppy for Christmas. So why don't I get one?? Raising a puppy properly requires time and money. The time I have now. The money - I don't. So I will wait. My puppy will be there when I am ready. (and please reconsider if you are thinking of giving a pet as a Christmas gift - but that's a chapter in itself)

So why am I posting this frivolous little story? Because I hope to get the attention of all of you that read these animal threads and ask a favor of you. Lately Tabitha Soren   has been a pest on these innocent, "G" rated animal threads. I want to ask you to join me and just ignore her and not give her the dignity of a reply. I know, she gets us all PO'ed, but if we just ignore her she will lose the satisfaction of the attention she gets, and she won't have replies to reply to.

BTW. . . post your pet stories here and we won't let this warm and fuzzy thread get hijacked!

Merry Christmas,

Flyer and Gilligan

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 321-329 next last
Thanks all, I love sharing our pet stories!
1 posted on 12/13/2001 12:07:14 PM PST by Flyer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Flyer
I want a brown labradoodle puppy for christmas. But I'm going to law school next year so I realistically can't take one on right now.
2 posted on 12/13/2001 12:10:00 PM PST by Anotherpundit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

We had a cat that used to like to sleep up on top of the back tires of my son's truck in the wheel well. One day, my son didn't realize that the cat was there and backed up.
3 posted on 12/13/2001 12:12:57 PM PST by johniegrad

I want a Bichon female puppy that I'll keep cut short. I know my hubby will never say yes, but I keep dreaming. I even have a name for her - Coconut!
4 posted on 12/13/2001 12:13:42 PM PST by MomwithHope

We had the vet kill our oldest dog this past year. We need another but I'm not taking a puppy to raise. I'll just go down to the pound and find something that looks like it chases deer but not people.
5 posted on 12/13/2001 12:14:02 PM PST by AppyPappy

Then there was that other time when a different cat use to like to sleep on the garage door when it was open. We left to go to the grocery store and used the remote door closer but didn't realize what happened until we came back.
6 posted on 12/13/2001 12:15:22 PM PST by johniegrad

I love cats.

They taste like chicken.

7 posted on 12/13/2001 12:15:33 PM PST by mrobison

Really, I've had some wonderful purebred puppies - a Rat Terrier named Annabelle comes to mind :). But all my doggies and kitties have been blessings, and most of them were "rescued" animals of varying dubious pedigrees and muttlyness. In my case, though, it's more like the animals rescued ME.
8 posted on 12/13/2001 12:16:56 PM PST by dandelion

Basenji bump.
9 posted on 12/13/2001 12:17:54 PM PST by Tijeras_Slim

To: Thornwell Simons; 2Trievers
..I want a brown labradoodle puppy for christmas.

Yikes. A spoiled Lab!

10 posted on 12/13/2001 12:18:18 PM PST by Cagey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Then there was that year when a fox had a den on our property in the woods. She raised 8 healthy kits and used to bring them out in the sun to play. We used to watch them wrestle with each other until she rounded them up to put them back in the den. Boy, did we go through a lot of cats that year !!
11 posted on 12/13/2001 12:18:24 PM PST by johniegrad

To: riley1992; HairOfTheDog; Dan from Michigan; WIMom; mountaineer; Bella_Bru; SAMWolf; keri...
WOOF!
12 posted on 12/13/2001 12:18:31 PM PST by Flyer

To: mrobison
I love cats. They taste like chicken.

LOLOL! Don't let Brigitte Bardot hear you.

13 posted on 12/13/2001 12:18:49 PM PST by Carolina
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: mrobison
I love dogs.

They taste like venison.

14 posted on 12/13/2001 12:19:16 PM PST by Eddeche
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Flyer; Tabitha Soren
PING!

(Sorry, Flyer...I couldn't resist)

15 posted on 12/13/2001 12:19:30 PM PST by Cyber Liberty

Comment #16 Removed by Moderator

To: Thornwell Simons
I own a labradoodle. They are wonderful dogs. (Poodle-labrador cross.)
17 posted on 12/13/2001 12:20:57 PM PST by Lurking Libertarian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: MomwithHope
Bichons have the cutest little teddy bear faces.
18 posted on 12/13/2001 12:20:58 PM PST by Flyer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

The Baby Girl who runs my household is going to be 19 in January. She was rescued from the humane society at age 6. She has managed to survive 4 days of doggy ICU with Auto-Hemophilia Anemia (I have no eartly idea how she got that!), a bout with malignant melanoma in her mouth (didn't slow her down eating though) and now, she wears barettes because her hair gets into her one eye.

She is still going strong and if she was a cat she'd be on life 8!! I think I will get her a new stuffed rabbit for Christmas.

19 posted on 12/13/2001 12:21:42 PM PST by RikaStrom

I got a puppy for Christmas, but it was not planned.

On Nov. 14th a friend's Weimeraner had pups delivered by C- section because of complications, but she rejected them, in fact killed a few of them.

So we took a one day old pup on Nov. 15th, and now at a month old she's about 6 lbs. and cute as a button.

20 posted on 12/13/2001 12:21:44 PM PST by dawn53

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 321-329 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson