Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Congressman Wants Civil Rights Official Ousted
CNSNews.com ^ | 12/07/01 | Jim Burns

Posted on 12/07/2001 9:25:08 PM PST by kattracks

(CNSNews.com) - A simmering feud between the White House and the chairwoman of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission boiled over Friday when she and four other members refused to seat or even recognize President Bush's new appointment to the commission.

The actions of Mary Frances Berry triggered an immediate call for her ouster.

Rep. Bob Barr (R-Ga.) said Berry is using the commission not to advance the cause of civil rights, but to promote her extremist, political agenda.

"Recent actions only reinforce my belief that the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights is chaired by a political activist masquerading as a leader on the very important national issue of civil rights," Barr stated in a letter to the White House.

"The chairwoman's outrageous actions with regard to your appointment of Mr. Peter Kirsanow are further proof of her desire to silence any voice other than her own. Neither the chairwoman nor any of the commissioners have been elected by the people of the United States, and thus hold no authority over those of us who have," Barr wrote.

The White House had no comment on the letter.

In refusing to seat Kirsanow as a member of the commission, Berry said it would now be up to the courts to make a ruling before she accepted the president's choice.

"We will abide by the court," Berry said at an open meeting of the commission after it voted 5-3 to reject Kirsanow.

Kevin Martin of Project 21, a black conservative group, witnessed the meeting.

"Peter came in and proceeded to take his chair and Mary Berry basically told him that he would not be sworn in. He came with his credentials and she would not swear him in. Peter then sat in the crowd and every time he tried to get recognized, he was told (by Berry) that we will not take statements from people in the audience," Martin told CNSNews.com.

Over the objections of Berry, the White House Thursday acted on its own to swear in Kirsanow as a member of the eight-member panel. Berry refuses to recognize the appointment and has accused the Bush administration of seeking to undermine the commission by altering its political balance.

The commission acts as a federal civil rights protector and investigates complaints of Americans who say they were denied their civil rights.

"The independence of this commission depends on us being able to interpret our statutes unless told otherwise by the court," Berry said at the meeting.

But, according to Martin, "If you had not seen Mary Berry's face and hands; and if she had them covered by white gloves and a white hood, you would have thought this was a [Ku Klux] Klan meeting." Berry and Kirsanow are both African-American.

The Civil Rights Commission did not return numerous phone calls seeking comment.

Martin concluded that, "We (Republicans) are the party with the big tent and not the Democrats."

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 12/07/2001 9:25:08 PM PST by kattracks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: kattracks
Anything with the words "Civil Rights" attached to it means product of Black bigots handle with caution.
2 posted on 12/07/2001 9:27:59 PM PST by junta
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: junta
she should be fired.... You know what I am sick of the lefty blacks in america.... they are racist and pathetic.
3 posted on 12/07/2001 9:30:10 PM PST by KQQL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

She has a majority on her little board, and she's not going to surrender that!
4 posted on 12/07/2001 9:32:48 PM PST by xm177e2

To: KQQL
They are beyond description for me, talk about useful idiots they have completely soldout "their" people for a little coinage.
5 posted on 12/07/2001 9:32:56 PM PST by junta
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

C-c-c-can't we all just get along?
6 posted on 12/07/2001 9:33:34 PM PST by Paul Atreides

To: kattracks; Trueblackman
I think this is a freeper bump!
7 posted on 12/07/2001 9:33:35 PM PST by cryptical

Get rid of both of these criminals now! Victoria's term is up and Barry is in contempt. Can them both!!! I have emailed and called my reps and expressed same. Everyone call now!
8 posted on 12/07/2001 9:37:03 PM PST by soycd

Today the UPI political writer, a liberal, detailed Ms. Berry's wrongs and stated unequivocally that Bush should fire her. She has crossed the line, and even liberals will not protect her any longer. Bush now has the political capital necessary to relieve her of her job under the law.
9 posted on 12/07/2001 9:37:17 PM PST by Publius

To heck with firing Berry - abolish the CCR!
10 posted on 12/07/2001 9:40:28 PM PST by N00dleN0gg1n

To: junta
Did you see that meeting today? Its on C-SPAN right now. It their sole aim to Clarence Thomas this man.
11 posted on 12/07/2001 9:40:50 PM PST by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

I saw the Little Dictator(Mary Berry) earlier this evening on C-Span. Talk about a power monger,she kept banging her little gavel and saying with sterness, "I am ruling, I am ruling, I am ruling" and wouldn't even recognize Mr. Kirsanow(even though he has been sworn in by a Federal Judge) calling him, "people in the audience"

Ms. Berry is the black bus driver who is telling a black man(Mr. Kirsanow) to give up his seat to a white woman(Ms. Wilson) and move to the back of the bus, even though Ms. Wilson's stop(appointment) has passed(Ms. Wilson's appointment expired on 11/29/01).

12 posted on 12/07/2001 9:43:32 PM PST by Dane

"Peter came in and proceeded to take his chair and Mary Berry basically told him that he would not be sworn in. He came with his credentials and she would not swear him in. Peter then sat in the crowd...

So what kind of milquetoast is this guy?

13 posted on 12/07/2001 9:47:21 PM PST by Lancey Howard

Imbitch the peach...
14 posted on 12/07/2001 9:49:15 PM PST by Swordmaker

Funny part is, many on this board take what the media hand us and assume that is the populace of the "black community". My best friend is black. He is NOT a token friend. He leans to the left, but (BUT), he also has clear thought. He does not buy into the bullshit. Neither should we. I get fumed over alot of the "black figures" (read talking heads) in this country, but bottom line is, many of the black dudes I know are big time tech heads, work hard and simply want to be left alone to do their thing. My best frined is way cool. I have learned alot off him. For instance, anyone in this country can make it, if they want to.

I would go so far as to say that the "black folks" we do not hear from are the ones that have way too much to do in life instead of worry about what the talking heads are telling them what to do.

Just my $0.02.

Oh and a side note, one of my Mom's good friends on the "left Coast" is a black guy that herd's ranches. He's one of the only "real" cowboy's that do what "cowboy's" are supposed to do within the "country/western" scene out there. I met the guy once, it was an honor.

15 posted on 12/07/2001 9:49:55 PM PST by Michael Barnes

Guess I should have said, I can agree with what you say, but, by and large, those that want to achieve will, those that don't, will vote democrat....
16 posted on 12/07/2001 9:51:39 PM PST by Michael Barnes

I am sooooooooooo tired of white guilt.. including mine.. get that bitch.. out of there... she is a disgrace!!!!!!!
It is time for this country to do what is right... she needs to go...and NOW
17 posted on 12/07/2001 10:21:12 PM PST by stockpixx

To: Swordmaker
Imbeach the pitch.
18 posted on 12/08/2001 3:49:31 PM PST by Notwithstanding
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

great post - what a great opportunity for the right to showcase the lunacy of the left
19 posted on 12/08/2001 3:50:52 PM PST by Notwithstanding

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson