Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

I believe in Allah and America
Wednesday November 28, 2001 | Arsalan Iftikhar

Posted on 11/29/2001 10:30:57 AM PST by EclipseVI

Myself included, there are over one billion humans on earth who call God by his Arabic name, Allah. Out of that billion, over seven million of us call America our home. Many of us are born as Americans, study in American institutions and go on to work and pay American dollars to our tax system. Like everyone else, we eventually find our better half, have chubby babies, go to zoos, get season tickets to the Chicago Bulls, go on our childrens' field trips and fix the leak in our roofs. With all the growing pains in the life that we lead as normal Americans, everyday we turn our face to Mecca to pray to what our Christian brothers call God, our Jewish sisters call Yahweh and whom we call Allah.

Islam, Christianity and Judaism have exactly the same origin. We each believe in the monotheistic deity of Abraham, who was the father of all three of these noble religions. Islam's moral and ethical standards are equivalent, if not more stringent, than those of modern day Christianity and Judaism. We, as Muslims, believe in every prophet of both Judaism and Christianity. We believe the world began with Adam and Eve and great prophets, namely Moses, Aaron, Jacob, Joseph and Jesus (peace be upon all of them) were all divinely inspired by God.

We revere Jesus as a great prophet and the messiah of God. He is mentioned by name in the Quran 33 times. We equally revere the Virgin Mary as the mother of the Messiah. She is the only woman mentioned by name in the Quran and she is mentioned 34 times. Anyone who says Muslims don't respect women, read the entire chapter dedicated to Mary (peace be upon her). How many times was our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) mentioned by name in the Quran? Five.

In Islam, a woman receives a monetary dowry from her husband, of which he has no legal claim. A woman is not obligated to change her maiden name. CNN happily broadcasts women being oppressed by the Taliban regime. Islam abhors the oppression of women. The Taliban says women are not allowed to work, yet the Prophet Muhammad's wife, Khadijah, was one of the most successful merchants in all of Arabia. Should we base our belief on a bunch of tribal warlords or the teachings of our Prophet?

In Islam, both men and women have to dress modestly. One aspect of this modest dress for women is the hijab (head covering). This is a religious mandate, but whether a woman decides to wear it or not, is an issue between her and Allah, because as the Quran categorically states, "there is no compulsion in religion." The hijab symbolizes empowerment, not oppression of women. It allows women to be judged on the content of their character, rather than the physical features that we men today objectify onto them. When we see a nun covered from head to toe in her habit, we commend her on her devotion to God. But when we see a Muslim woman wearing hijab, she is oppressed. In how many likenesses of the Virgin Mary, sculptures or paintings, is her hair not covered? Not one. Was she oppressed? Hardly.

Muslim American is not a paradox. As Muslim Americans we currently live in a diaspora having to deal with an attack on our, yes, our, country. We also have a dual anxiety because our way of life, which is not far different from our Christian and Jewish counterparts, is under attack.

I am a law student. I study international human rights. I have been to U2, Sarah Maclachlan, Dido and Outkast concerts. I have been a ball boy for the Chicago Bulls. I have owned a Ford Mustang. I pray for peace and have read Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech ninety-six times. I may be a dreamer, but I promise you, I am not the only one.

I am a Muslim and I am an American. I am proud of both and will compromise neither.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 301-303 next last

1 posted on 11/29/2001 10:30:57 AM PST by EclipseVI
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: EclipseVI
Let's find out right now if we worship the same God, Is Jesus Christ the virgin born Son of the Living God? Part of the Godhead trinity who created everything, and nothing that exists was not created by Jesus?
2 posted on 11/29/2001 10:37:15 AM PST by MissAmericanPie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Very good article but I predict:
"I may be a dreamer, but I promise you, I am not the only one."
...will receive at least half the comments on this thread.

We conservatives love to hate our liberal scapegoats like John Lennon.

3 posted on 11/29/2001 10:38:39 AM PST by Illbay

Well written, is EclipseVI the author?

Also, I understand that Islam reveres Jesus. Islam doesn't see Jesus as the son of God by he is the messiah (I thought the two were the same)? I have read that Islam believes in the virgin birth, but if Islam does not see Jesus as the son of God, how do Muslims understand the virgin birth.

4 posted on 11/29/2001 10:41:28 AM PST by Darth Reagan

To: MissAmericanPie
Jews believe none of that.

In fact, I once knew a Jewish man who would *spit* every time he heard "that name." He explained that "his people" had suffered for centuries all because of "that Jesus guy."

5 posted on 11/29/2001 10:41:44 AM PST by Illbay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I don`t believe a word of this post. He makes no mention of the US Colors. Ever see a Muslim with a US Flag? I never have. More puffery by Islam trying to make nice. Remember 09/11/01 Forever.
6 posted on 11/29/2001 10:45:00 AM PST by vladog

We also have a dual anxiety because our way of life, which is not far different from our Christian and Jewish counterparts, is under attack.

Hey...here we go again!!!!

We revere Jesus as a great prophet and the messiah of God. He is mentioned by name in the Quran 33 times.

It also says that He was an apostle of God, nothing more.

How about a discussion about how the Quran directs the Muslim not to be a friend of the Christian or the Jew? Or that it says that a Muslim that kills a kafir or unbeliever should not be punished? Or directs that the unbeliever should be killed?

Could you explain how Mohammed's attitude towards Christians and Jews got more and more hostile as he gained political and military power?

"...yet the Prophet Muhammad's wife, Khadijah, was one of the most successful merchants in all of Arabia."

Was this the nine year old?

...pray to what our Christian brothers call God...

What I call God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. For you, that's Allah, a special human prophet, and the angel Gabriel. Not quite the same thing.

7 posted on 11/29/2001 10:45:07 AM PST by Tennessee_Bob

...we turn our face to Mecca to pray to what our Christian brothers call God

Now, this is news to me. Moslems believe that God is one in essence, and eternally exists in three distinct Persons -- Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Moslems believe that salvation can be enjoyed only through believing in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord? Moslems believe that we are saved by grace alone through faith in Jesus Christ alone? Moslems believe that the Bible alone is His verbal self-revelation?

This isn't what I was given to believe.

Or you're being just a little loose with your words.

I have other responses, but this will do for starters.

Dan
What Is Biblical Christianity?
How Can I Know God?

8 posted on 11/29/2001 10:45:09 AM PST by BibChr

Comment #9 Removed by Moderator

To: vladog
They guy doesn't mention the stars and stripes so professing he is American must be lie?

Great logic there, Spock.

10 posted on 11/29/2001 10:47:59 AM PST by Darth Reagan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

How do you feel about:

That in nearly all middle east Muslim countries it is against the law to practice Christianity and that is punishable by death for conversion?
That your religion teaches that anyone not Muslim is an infidel and is not to be treated as human?
That in nearly every country with a Muslim majority there is severe persecution of non-muslims?

11 posted on 11/29/2001 10:49:22 AM PST by 2banana

These guys are weasels. Some more crazed than others. The way to flush them out is to simply ask if they support the U.S. efforts to wipe out the Taliban.

So far, I have not heard even one Muslim answer, "yes". As soon as you ask the question, all the weasel words come out, "I do not support aggression of any kind." "The Taliban is reacting to years of American foreign policy." blah, blah blah.

Stinkin' unAmerican weasels!

12 posted on 11/29/2001 10:50:41 AM PST by Wm Bach

7 Million Muslims in America. The sound of support for our nation and our troops is deafening.NOT!

Please, where are the peace-loving Islamic Americans showing support for this great nation? I watch the news, and nothing. I listen to the radio, nothing. What are you waiting for?

13 posted on 11/29/2001 10:52:18 AM PST by airborne

I'm sure you have noticed that you have got your work cut out for you here. Many folks have only seen the worst of Islam manifested in terrorism and extremist governments (and it doesn't help that the only Muslim nation that's a republic is Turkey).

Good luck.

14 posted on 11/29/2001 10:52:37 AM PST by Darth Reagan

Well said. Please remember that we will destroy those who have vowed to destroy us. Those who would destroy America are the enemy, whether they be domestic or foreign, Muslim, Christian, Jew or Atheist. God knows that all are represented. It is my wish that all are identified and dealt with now and forever. All who are not with the terrorists must take a visible stand against them.
15 posted on 11/29/2001 10:52:55 AM PST by prov1813man

To: EclipseVI; Patria One
Diaspora?

Huh?

American born and bred, and he states he's living in a DIASPORA?

Fiddlestix!!

END your diaspora now, young man: LEAVE America. Go home NOW.

16 posted on 11/29/2001 10:56:15 AM PST by meridia

To: Darth Reagan
I asked if anyone ever saw member of Islam with as US flag. I did not ask for inane comment.
17 posted on 11/29/2001 10:58:59 AM PST by vladog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

The real problem with what is said here is that Moslems say that they revere Jesus, but then they take away his sacrifice by stating that he did not die on the cross, and they put words in his mouth that say he is not God, and would never have said so. And they put him ninth on their list of holy men, giving the self-admitted rapist and pedophile Mohammed number 1 status. Thus they exclude themselves from the Heaven that Christ will rule over, and consign themselves to an eternity with Mohammed and his puppet god, Allah.
18 posted on 11/29/2001 11:00:23 AM PST by Excuse_Me

To: 2banana
Just joined two days ago, and already he's posting articles! Replies in the 'teens, and he hasn't responded to one yet. Hm... usually that's a pattern....

Me, I hope he does start replying. And when he does, I sincerely hope he answers YOUR questions (among others').

Dan

19 posted on 11/29/2001 11:00:52 AM PST by BibChr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: vladog
Yes, I have seen a Muslim with an American flag, and pledging allegiance to it.

Maybe you don't get out much.

20 posted on 11/29/2001 11:02:34 AM PST by Darth Reagan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 301-303 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson