Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

'War is not about . . . 24-hour news cycles'
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel ^ | 11/4/01 | DONALD RUMSFELD

Posted on 11/03/2001 4:07:38 PM PST by Jean S

I have reflected on some of the questions posed at the last briefing - questions about the "speed of progress" in the campaign, questions about the "patience" of the American people -if something does not happen immediately.

I have a sense that the public understands the following facts:

With the ruins still smoldering and the smoke not yet cleared, it seems to me that Americans understand well that, despite the urgency in the press questions, we are still in the very, very early stages of this war. The ruins are still smoking!

Consider some historical perspective:

We are now fighting a new kind of war. It is unlike any America has ever fought before. Many things about this war are different from wars past - but, as I have said, one of those differences is not the possibility of instant victory.

At my briefing when I announced the start of the air campaign on Oct. 7, I stated that our initial goals were:

That was 24 days ago - three weeks and three days - not three months or three years, but three weeks and three days. We have made measurable progress on each of these goals.

The attacks of Sept. 11 were not days or weeks but years in the making. The terrorists were painstaking and deliberate, and it appears they may have spent years planning their activities.

There is no doubt in my mind but that the American people know that it's going to take more than 24 days.

I also stated that our task is much broader than simply defeating the Taliban or al-Qaida. It is to root out global terrorist networks, not just in Afghanistan, but wherever they are, to ensure that they cannot threaten the American people or our way of life.

This is a task that will take time to accomplish. Victory will require that every element of American influence and power be engaged.

Americans have seen tougher adversaries than this before - and they have had the staying power to defeat them. Underestimating the American people is a bad bet.

In the end, war is not about statistics, deadlines, short attention spans or 24-hour news cycles. It is about will - the projection of will, the clear, unambiguous determination of the president and the American people to see this through to certain victory.

In other American wars, enemy commanders have come to doubt the wisdom of taking on the strength and power of this nation and the resolve of her people. I expect that somewhere, in a cave in Afghanistan, there is a terrorist leader who is, at this moment, considering precisely the same thing.

Donald Rumsfeld is secretary of defense. These comments were made Thursday in his daily briefing to the media at The Pentagon.

Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Nov. 4, 2001.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 11/03/2001 4:07:38 PM PST by Jean S
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JeanS
will our troops be home in time for christmas?
2 posted on 11/03/2001 4:16:48 PM PST by Rustynailww
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Are we there yet, Dad?
Are we there yet, Dad?
Are we there yet, Dad?
3 posted on 11/03/2001 4:21:31 PM PST by Polybius

The problem: Americans are about fast food and fast solution and with a treacherous media, the public will turn just like it did Re: Vietnam. I think the Administration's biggest problem will be in countering the negativity of the media>

Remember, they are showing the civilians in Afghanistan, but, not the WTC explosions nor the people who chose to jump rather than burning to death. The media's excuse?
Showing the WTC would be too hard on the victim's relatives. IMO, that should be showed alongside any war target bombing, lest we forget.

4 posted on 11/03/2001 9:35:48 PM PST by poet

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson