Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Peggy Noonan: We're All Soldiers Now
Opinion Journal ^ | 11/02/2001 | Peggy Noonan

Posted on 11/01/2001 8:06:00 PM PST by Pokey78

Edited on 04/23/2004 12:03:51 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

On Halloween I had one of those days that veered from scene to scene. In the morning, in the waiting room of a Manhattan eye doctor's office, I watched and listened as a young secretary who was dressed for the day in a Morticia costume--all in black, white powdered face, black eye makeup, black pointy witch's hat placed on her desk, white spider-web hose on her legs--called patients and left messages like this: "Mrs. Smith, this is Dr Jones' office. We referred you to New York Eye and Ear hospital recently, and so you will have to be tested for anthrax. Please call us."

(Excerpt) Read more at opinionjournal.com ...

TOPICS: Editorial; Foreign Affairs
KEYWORDS: noonan; september12era
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-28 next last

1 posted on 11/01/2001 8:06:00 PM PST by Pokey78
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: summer; Miss Marple; Howlin; mombonn
Ping
2 posted on 11/01/2001 8:07:43 PM PST by Pokey78
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: *Peggy Noonan list
Indexing
3 posted on 11/01/2001 8:15:39 PM PST by Pokey78

To: Pokey78
Peggy Noonan has done a great service to the nation with this article. The camera idea is a winner (and I bet she got it here...her son is a lurker, I think).

I hadn't thought of safe rooms, but I do remember talk of them during the Gulf War by Israelis.

I always keep canned goods and bottled water...we live in blizzard country.

4 posted on 11/01/2001 8:20:37 PM PST by Miss Marple

Thanks for passing this along. Peggy Noonan is brilliant (The Ultimate MILF).
5 posted on 11/01/2001 8:26:52 PM PST by wienerdog.com

To: wienerdog.com
What's an MILF, Wienerdog?
6 posted on 11/01/2001 8:40:26 PM PST by germanshepherd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Mrs. Noonan has published a fine little missive here. It's chock full of common sense.

All of this (and more) has been practiced on the Rancho De Lurker for years and I most heartily endorse it.

Thanks Peggy.

L

7 posted on 11/01/2001 9:00:59 PM PST by Lurker

To: Lurker
Since you are obviously familiar with this kind of thing... We have a first-floor bathroom with no windows and a second-floor walk-in closet with no windows. Which do you suggest be the safe room?

I got the impression that you don't have to tape the door frames NOW, but save the tape (and your beautiful wallpapering job) for only if there is a need. Is this correct, as far as you know?

Thanks for any helpful input.

8 posted on 11/01/2001 9:10:58 PM PST by germanshepherd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: germanshepherd
bttt
9 posted on 11/01/2001 9:21:46 PM PST by maranatha
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

What's an MILF, Wienerdog?

I'm afraid you have to be under 25 to know that acronym, which is why I used it, knowing it would be meaningful to a certain strata amongst FReepers. As for the rest of you, I sincerely apopolgize that its meaning is not suitable for this forum in human-readable form (ie, ask a kid).

10 posted on 11/01/2001 9:23:57 PM PST by wienerdog.com
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

No, don't tape the door frames now. That should only be done if you need to seal out the air for a few hours.

As far as which room to pick, why not be prepared to use both of them? Normally, I would say use the bathroom as the walls are somewhat reinforced by the presence of water pipes as well as having the benefit of being, well, the bathroom.

However,not knowing the layout of your home, it's impossible to make a cogent recommendation.

The important thing is that you make some kind of plan, and practice it with your family. Most people won't even take the most basic of precautions so you and yours will be miles ahead if the excrement ever contacts the rotating oscillator.

L

11 posted on 11/01/2001 9:24:19 PM PST by Lurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Lurker
if the excrement ever contacts the rotating oscillator.

LOL at that one!

OK, good idea. So then, you don't think in general that first floor is better than second floor?

12 posted on 11/01/2001 9:36:43 PM PST by germanshepherd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: wienerdog.com
OK, I guess us old fogeys will just have to use our imagination on this one.
13 posted on 11/01/2001 9:43:14 PM PST by germanshepherd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

If some moron in a doofy costume started taking polaroids of me and generally being annoying, the only clapping I would do would be against his skull.
14 posted on 11/01/2001 9:53:32 PM PST by Timesink

Comment #15 Removed by Moderator

The subject of guns has come up. Everyone has an opinion. Here's mine: If you know how to use a gun, and you can get it legally, get a gun.

I like Peggy. But what is she talking about here. Everyone can get a gun legally in this country. Any politician or judge who thinks otherwise should have the 2nd Ammendment recited to them and be promptly told to f-off!
16 posted on 11/01/2001 10:01:07 PM PST by StockAyatollah

To: StockAyatollah
New York City does not allow gun ownership, not even rifles. That's why they're buying so many gas masks and canaries.
17 posted on 11/01/2001 10:28:33 PM PST by Bizhvywt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Tighten it up a bit and it might get published.

I really like Peggy Noonan, but she's like George Will, she talks a lot better than she writes. Plus she's a babe.

18 posted on 11/01/2001 10:29:12 PM PST by Terrorista Nada

To: Bizhvywt
And they had "laws" against guns in Baltimore city when I lived there. That didn't stop me.
19 posted on 11/01/2001 10:37:10 PM PST by StockAyatollah
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

How can we fail when women like Peggy Noonan and Condie Rice are standard bearers?
20 posted on 11/01/2001 11:06:40 PM PST by Ruth A.

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-28 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson