Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Rumsfeld Makes War
Chicago Tribune | October 22, 2001 | John M. Donnelly

Posted on 10/23/2001 5:26:37 AM PDT by Stand Watch Listen

Edited on 09/03/2002 4:49:28 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

He was hanging by a thread, and then came Sept. 11. No longer embattled, the defense chief shows he's got the right stuff.

WASHINGTON -- Almost every day now, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld stands at the Pentagon podium and meets the press, the most visible government official in a confounding new war.

When he does, he is articulate and calm. Then he's testy; then he's grave. Then he's funny; then serious again. He's all of those things in a single session, but he rarely is too much of any one quality. In short, he's in control.

TOPICS: Editorial; Foreign Affairs
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 10/23/2001 5:26:37 AM PDT by Stand Watch Listen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Stand Watch Listen
IMO, we need to get on our knees & thank God for men like Rumsfeld and Cheney... they are good men.
2 posted on 10/23/2001 5:30:44 AM PDT by backhoe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: backhoe
Not bad for a couple of 'old fart re-treads' as the democraps once called them. I put in the 'old fart' part.
3 posted on 10/23/2001 5:39:53 AM PDT by duckman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Thanks for the excellent post, and Thank God for Godly men and women.
4 posted on 10/23/2001 5:40:42 AM PDT by lodwick

When Rumsfeld was tapped to be secdef it was a huge sigh of relief for me since this man was made for the mission. And since 9/11 and his performance since then, I'm just overwhelmed at how increadibly fortunate we are to have him at this post. He is one of my heros.
5 posted on 10/23/2001 5:49:57 AM PDT by KillTime

"He was all listen and no talk," says Thompson, looking back on Rumsfeld's rough going last summer, as if it were ages ago.

For most of this year, no one in the small and sometimes catty Defense Department world knew what Rumsfeld wanted to do with the U.S. military -- including, it seemed, Rumsfeld. The only thing the insiders knew was that Rumsfeld was talking about "transforming" the Pentagon. But they didn't know how and he wasn't sharing -- and that scared them.

Geez, finally a man comes along that actually listens and all these people can do is fuss and worry. It seemed that he didn't know what he wanted to do. Do they think that you come into a post with all the garbage that clintoons admin. left and wave your magic wand to make everything all better? In what, two weeks, six weeks? Phuleeeeze!

Personally I think it's just the reporters and the dems who were worried, the rest of us knew we were in good hands.

Thank you Mr. Rumsfeld! :-)

6 posted on 10/23/2001 5:52:11 AM PDT by BigWaveBetty

To: BigWaveBetty
What amazes me about the media... is they are not included in meetings, they did not sit on strategy, they are not invited into offices... YET they write, talk, pontificate, make opinions as if members of the Administration have taken them into their confidences and shared with them all their trials, fears, and future plans.

There is very little reporting done, but a lot of editorializing masquerading as reporting.

These guys don't know. Facts have given way to opinion. Talking heads have taken the place of investigation.

I watch military experts on Fox, CNN, and MSNBC talk about what the administration should be doing, and what they are not doing, and what they need to be doing, and what they should hurry up and do, and what we are in danger of losing... and the anchors suck it up. These people are retired military... they don't know. They can theorize. They can make things up. But they don't know!!

Sorry about the rant!

7 posted on 10/23/2001 6:02:27 AM PDT by carton253
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Hanging by a thread? What garbage.

The real situation is that the Pentagon is stuffed full on clintonoid time-servers and **s-kissers, and the lower ranks of officers are full of feminist gender-benders, and Rumsfeld found it very difficult to know what to do about it. The military was in shambles, in need of major surgery, and how do you deal with that when most of the top brass were promoted by clinton because they licked his toes?

At the moment, they've evidently sidelined and bypassed most of them. But the stables still need a thorough cleaning.

8 posted on 10/23/2001 6:44:34 AM PDT by Cicero

bttt
9 posted on 10/23/2001 8:16:40 AM PDT by Stand Watch Listen

To: Cicero
The clue to this bogus "Rumsfeld hanging by a thread" line is the citing of MAUREEN DOWD as an authority.

Thank God for Donald Rumsfeld. He has the BEST press smack downs I have ever heard. Ha!

10 posted on 10/23/2001 8:22:49 AM PDT by Miss Marple
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

He was hanging by a thread, and then came Sept. 11. No longer embattled, the defense chief shows he's got the right stuff.

Nonsense! He's always had the right stuff. Typical of the Chicago Tribune, leading with a slam. This is why I dropped my subscription months ago, and started sending that money to FR!

11 posted on 10/23/2001 8:54:24 AM PDT by texasbluebell

Donald Rumsfeld (or Dick Cheney) for president! We need a war monger at the helm not a politician.
12 posted on 10/23/2001 9:00:32 AM PDT by mercy

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson