Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Living a lie: Why you can't be anti-military and pro-freedom
Union Leader ^ | Oct 09,2001

Posted on 10/09/2001 2:26:14 AM PDT by 2Trievers

AS AMERICA and her allies began Sunday to strike back against those who assisted in the mass murder of Americans on Sept. 11, the left knees of pacifists everywhere jerked with a force so irresistible that it launched unexpected numbers of them into the streets. And we all know what we get whenever a few peaceniks find themselves standing beside each other in public: a protest.

Television coverage on Sunday night was thick with the irony of pacifists loudly denouncing the use of force while being surrounded and protected by rings of armed police officers. That sight alone should make everyone realize that pacifists are so blind they can see neither the proverbial forest nor the individual trees that comprise it. It also makes one wonder how long pacifists would continue their diatribes against the use of force were the police to say, “OK then, you’re on your own” and let the angry crowds have their way with them.

Notice that we never see pacifist protests in non-free nations. The oppressed people of the world are too busy trying to avoid being arrested, shot, starved or enslaved to tie-dye their T-shirts, staple peace signs to sticks and walk in circles singing John Lennon songs off key.

No, pacifism is the bane only of civilized societies. In any other society the pacifists would be the first ones robbed, pillaged and stabbed.

Normally, one just shrugs them off and goes about earning a living so that one can pay the taxes that fund the military that guarantees the freedom that allows the pacifists to spout their nonsense. But in wartime, pacifists rise in stature from minor irritant to major headache because their hypocrisy is so maddeningly blatant.

They aren’t going to Afghanistan, where they would have no armed cops to stand behind, and decrying the Taliban for being “militaristic” and “war-mongering.”

Instead, they prefer to hurl insults at the military while standing safely behind America’s well-defended borders and phalanxes of armed police officers, which shows that A) they are hypocrites, and B) they know it.

The freedom to speak silly opinions in public is a luxury afforded only by the willingness of some to defend it. As such, one cannot be anti-military and pro-freedom.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021 next last
Amen.
1 posted on 10/09/2001 2:26:14 AM PDT by 2Trievers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: 2Trievers
"SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM"

A wise Roman Senator said that, long ago, when intelligent men could still achieve public office. (Although I believe that Winston Churchill was fond of this maxim, as well).

2 posted on 10/09/2001 2:30:58 AM PDT by RANGERAIRBORNE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: RANGERAIRBORNE
MANCHU!

And it's true. There's only a pacifist movement in places where the pacifists have a military to protect their right to hate the military.

3 posted on 10/09/2001 2:36:53 AM PDT by AlaninSA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Notice that we never see pacifist protests in non-free nations. The oppressed people of the world are too busy trying to avoid being arrested, shot, starved or enslaved to tie-dye their T-shirts, staple peace signs to sticks and walk in circles singing John Lennon songs off key.

Truer words were never spoken.

4 posted on 10/09/2001 4:21:38 AM PDT by ABG(anybody but Gore)

bump
5 posted on 10/09/2001 4:23:01 AM PDT by ChadGore

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

They aren’t going to Afghanistan, where they would have no armed cops to stand behind, and decrying the Taliban for being “militaristic” and “war-mongering.”

Ping!

7 posted on 10/09/2001 4:51:45 AM PDT by PogySailor

To: DC FReepers, Kristin, Angelwood
I saw what was described as a daily protest of about 50 pro-terrorist nitwits outside of the White House. Please do Free Republic a huge favor and FReep these numbskulls. Thank you.
8 posted on 10/09/2001 7:27:23 AM PDT by Kermit

bttt!
9 posted on 10/09/2001 7:29:27 AM PDT by Travis McGee

The freedom to speak silly opinions in public is a luxury afforded only by the willingness of some to defend it. As such, one cannot be anti-military and pro-freedom.

I remember the shock I felt at being called names for wearing the uniform in the late 70's, well after Viet Nam.

As outraged as I was, I'm still proud to have served to let even these embeciles express their opinions.

True freedom means having the choice not to serve. We either believe in Freedom or we do not.

10 posted on 10/09/2001 7:36:46 AM PDT by Eagle Eye

Sua Sponte
Rangers, Lead the way!
11 posted on 10/09/2001 7:49:20 AM PDT by TADSLOS

To: Eagle Eye
I was in NROTC(Marine Option) in the early 80's, and I remember having lunatics scream "Baby killer!" at me... I was taken a little aback, so I said "No not yet. I haven't had the chance..." That set'em back on their heels...

Like you, proud to serve so that whackos are free to be whackos in this awesome country...

12 posted on 10/09/2001 7:53:41 AM PDT by g'nad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: boston_liberty
The case has been well-made elsewhere that Gandhi was only able to succeed in his "non-violent" revolution because of the tolerant nature of the British rulers, who refrained from having his followers machine-gunned in their thousands.

I cannot see this tactic working very well against a Hitler, a Stalin, or a Saddam Hussein.

Can you?

13 posted on 10/09/2001 11:36:50 AM PDT by RANGERAIRBORNE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

BUMP
14 posted on 10/09/2001 4:56:10 PM PDT by Bowana

What to do if you happen upon a peace rally. 1) Approach the person talking about peace and saying there should be "no retaliation". 2) Have brief conversation, ask if military force is appropriate. 3) When they say "no," ask, "Why not?" 4) When they say, "because that would just cause more innocent deaths, which would be awful, and we should not cause more violence". 5) Punch him in the face... hard. 6) When he gets up to punch you back, point out that it would be a mistake, and contrary to his values, to punch you because he would be increasing the violence. 7) When he agrees that he has pledged not to commit violence, punch him in the face again... harder this time. 8) Repeat steps 5 through 8 until he understands that sometimes it is necessary to punch back.
15 posted on 10/11/2001 7:19:13 PM PDT by X-Expeditor

To: X-Expeditor;RaceBannon
Dear X-E

Your post is super! Thank you ... but that is why I aways stand behind RaceBannon at every rally! If you knew him ... no further explanation would be necessary.

16 posted on 10/11/2001 7:49:07 PM PDT by 2Trievers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Jim Robinson
OK. How in the blue Hell am I supposed to bookmark a particularly good thread, as this???

I know that, ostensibly, there was a reason for making the changes (which resulted in your site looking stupid and ugly). And, I will not go further in my opinions of the "new" look (kinda like the "new" Coca-Cola formula). But, the bookmark aspect is one I find quite helpful, in keeping track of threads (**that I think**) are important to keep close...?

FReegards,

17 posted on 10/11/2001 8:00:36 PM PDT by Capitalist Eric

Comment #18 Removed by Moderator

To: one_particular_harbour
Thanks. Found it.

Still think that the new look sucks hind tit. (Old farm expression, for you equal-rights women who want to start a fight...)

FReegards.

19 posted on 10/11/2001 8:06:38 PM PDT by Capitalist Eric
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: RANGERAIRBORNE
peaceniks are like bad parents. Their called enablers.
20 posted on 10/11/2001 8:06:50 PM PDT by aimhigh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson