Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

I think Rush has an Acoustic Neuroma
Acoustic Neuroma Association ^ | 1998 | Acoustic Neuroma Association © 1998

Posted on 10/08/2001 1:05:17 PM PDT by Reelect President Dubya

Answers to frequently asked questions about acoustic neuromas.

What is an Acoustic Neuroma?

An acoustic neuroma (sometimes termed a neurolemmoma or schwannoma) is a benign (non-cancerous) tissue growth that arises on the eighth cranial nerve leading from the brain to the inner ear. This nerve has two distinct parts, one part associated with transmitting sound and the other sending balance information to the brain from the inner ear. These pathways, along with the facial nerve, lie adjacent to each other as they pass through a bony canal called the internal auditory canal. This canal is approximately 2 cm (0.8 inches) long and it is here that acoustic neuromas originate from the sheath surrounding the eighth nerve. The facial nerve provides motion of the muscles of facial expression.

Acoustic neuromas usually grow slowly over a period of years. They expand in size at their site of origin and when large can displace normal brain tissue. The brain is not invaded by the tumor, but the tumor pushes the brain as it enlarges. The slowly enlarging tumor protrudes from the internal auditory canal into an area behind the temporal bone called the cerebellopontine angle. The tumor now assumes a pear shape with the small end in the internal auditory canal. Larger tumors can press on another nerve in the area (the trigeminal nerve) which is the nerve of facial sensation. Vital functions to sustain life can be threatened when large tumors cause severe pressure on the brainstem and cerebellum part of the brain. Tumors are typically described as small (less than 1.5 cm), medium (1.5 cm to 2.5 cm) or large (more than 2.5 cm).

Are Acoustic Neuromas hereditary?

No. Although there is an inheritable condition called neurofibromatosis which can lead to acoustic neuroma formation in some people, most acoustic neuromas occur spontaneously without any evidence of an inheritable pattern.

How often do Acoustic Neuromas occur?

Asymptomatic acoustic neuromas have been found during autopsy in less than one in one-hundred or perhaps as few as .01% of the general population. Acoustic neuromas large enough to cause hearing loss and other symptoms occur in about one person in 100,000. Most acoustic neuromas are diagnosed in patients between the ages of 30 and 60.

Symptoms of Acoustic Neuroma

Early symptoms are easily overlooked, thus making diagnosis a challenge. However, there usually are symptoms pointing to the possibility of an acoustic neuroma. The first symptom in 90% of those with a tumor is a reduction in hearing in one ear, often accompanied by ear noise or tinnitus. The loss of hearing is usually subtle and worsens slowly, although occasionally a sudden loss of hearing is noted. There may be a feeling of fullness in the affected ear. These early symptoms are sometimes mistaken for normal changes of aging, and diagnosis is often delayed.

Since the balance portion of the eighth nerve is where the tumor arises, unsteadiness and balance problems may occur during the growth of the neuroma. The remainder of the balance system sometimes compensates for this loss, and no imbalance will be noticed. Larger tumors can press on the trigeminal nerve, causing facial numbness and tingling, constantly or intermittently. Increase of intracranial pressure may be experienced with headaches, clumsy gait and mental confusion. This is a life-threatening complication requiring urgent treatment.

Identifying the tumor

Advances in medicine have made possible the identification of small acoustic neuromas; that is, those still confined to the internal auditory canal. Routine auditory tests may reveal a loss of hearing and speech discrimination (the patient can hear sound in that ear, but cannot understand what is being said).

An audiogram should be performed to effectively evaluate hearing in both ears. This test is important to begin the diagnosis of acoustic neuroma. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is the diagnostic test that is preferred for identifying acoustic neuromas. Gadolinium, an enhancing material, is required to reveal the tumor. The image formed clearly defines an acoustic neuroma if it is present. Currently, this imaging study is the preferred test for identifying acoustic neuromas.

An auditory brainstem response test (ABR, BAER, or BSER) may be done in some cases. This test provides information on the passage of an electric impulse along the circuit from the inner ear to the brainstem pathways. An acoustic neuroma can interfere with the passage of this electrical impulse through the hearing nerve at the site of tumor growth in the internal auditory canal. This implies the possible diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma when the test is positive.

When a MRI is not available or cannot be performed, a computerized tomography scan (CT scan), with contrast, is suggested for patients in whom an acoustic neuroma is suspected. The CT scan and audiogram can provide valuable information to determine the presence of an acoustic neuroma. However, the MRI is nearly 100% accurate in identifying the presence of an acoustic neuroma and should be performed.

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-26 next last
We love you Rush. Don't let this get you down.
1 posted on 10/08/2001 1:05:17 PM PDT by Reelect President Dubya
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Reelect President Dubya
Don't quit your day job and start practicing medicine just yet. AN would have been identified in the testing he's been through.
2 posted on 10/08/2001 1:20:44 PM PDT by The Other Harry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/autoimmune/aied.html I think it more likely to be Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease. That would not show up on MRI. BTW, it is not the same as Meniere's Disease. See the above link.
3 posted on 10/08/2001 1:23:37 PM PDT by bluesagewoman

To: The Other Harry
I think Rush said that he did not want to get into the details of possible causes, but he did say that there where some things that the Doctors had some suspicions about....

Not that anyone here wants to play a Doctor or anything, but this "Acoustic Neuroma" looks like a prospect to me.

4 posted on 10/08/2001 1:26:16 PM PDT by rface
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

A virus is more likely since we are talking TWO EARS at once.
5 posted on 10/08/2001 1:30:20 PM PDT by A CA Guy

To: bluesagewoman
Yep!
6 posted on 10/08/2001 1:32:07 PM PDT by A CA Guy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: A CA Guy
I listen to Rush everyday but today I was not able to hear his show except for about 15 minutes.. his voice sounded as if he were fighting a cold. I am stunned to hear about the hearing thing and sympathetic too as I am going through some tests too. I get the fullness in the ear and have low freq. hearing loss in the right ear. So far the docs have not given a reason but I have had the audiogram and a nasal endoscopy and there is no pathology. I have yet to have the MRI... one suggestion is cochlear menieres syndrome. My trouble sort of comes and goes.. feels like I got off an airplane and the ear won't open.. Could Rush have something like that?

I agree that he should give up the cigars. My dad loved his cigars and smoked all the time. He got oral cancer from it.( Not to mention the house smelled awful)

I am sure Rush is getting the best care and I really hope there is a resolution for the problem for him so he can enjoy his favorite music, and also keep his show. No one can fill his shoes or earn that golden EIB mic! I am so sad at this news.

7 posted on 10/08/2001 1:44:40 PM PDT by celtic gal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

You can rule out a slow growing tumor if the hearing loss is very rapid.
8 posted on 10/08/2001 1:44:46 PM PDT by GWfan

To: A CA Guy
I listen to Rush everyday but today I was not able to hear his show except for about 15 minutes.. his voice sounded as if he were fighting a cold. I am stunned to hear about the hearing thing and sympathetic too as I am going through some tests too. I get the fullness in the ear and have low freq. hearing loss in the right ear. So far the docs have not given a reason but I have had the audiogram and a nasal endoscopy and there is no pathology. I have yet to have the MRI... one suggestion is cochlear menieres syndrome. My trouble sort of comes and goes.. feels like I got off an airplane and the ear won't open.. Could Rush have something like that?

I agree that he should give up the cigars. My dad loved his cigars and smoked all the time. He got oral cancer from it.( Not to mention the house smelled awful)

I am sure Rush is getting the best care and I really hope there is a resolution for the problem for him so he can enjoy his favorite music, and also keep his show. No one can fill his shoes or earn that golden EIB mic! I am so sad at this news.

9 posted on 10/08/2001 1:45:17 PM PDT by celtic gal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Acoustic neuroma is easily identified on an MRI...They are almost never bilateral (both ears), and can be surgically removed. If that was his diagnosis, he would have had surgery very quickly.

Regards!

10 posted on 10/08/2001 1:45:27 PM PDT by lainde

While we are getting diagnosed over the internet, I was wondering if you could tell me whats wrong with my truck?

Its making this noise like chinkchock, chinkchock pssssf, etc.

11 posted on 10/08/2001 1:48:56 PM PDT by DainBramage

Maybe his headphone isn't plugged in.
12 posted on 10/08/2001 1:54:06 PM PDT by BabylonXXX

"...growth that arises on the eighth cranial nerve leading from the brain to the inner ear

Acoustic neuromas usually grow slowly over a period of years

The loss of hearing is usually subtle and worsens slowly..."

What makes you think its Acoustic Neuroma? Except for starting in one ear, none of the symptoms seem to match what Rush said he was experiencing.
Rush said the hearing loss was noticable suddenly on May 29th, and there were distinct losses of hearing every five days over the course of the summer (not a subtle and gradual loss). Furthermore, he said they would try a cochlear implant as a last resort, which would seemingly be a pointless maneuvere if the hearing loss was caused by a tumorous growth pressing against a nerve in the inner ear.

Good luck Rush.

13 posted on 10/08/2001 1:55:57 PM PDT by Kare Bully

To: celtic gal
I am going through some tests too.

I'm sorry you are having hearing problems as well, celtic gal. I hope your difficulties are fully resolved soon.

14 posted on 10/08/2001 1:57:15 PM PDT by TigerTale
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Isn't Rush married to a nice Jewish lady? That might explain the hearing problems.
15 posted on 10/08/2001 1:59:23 PM PDT by AshleyMontagu

To: DainBramage
While we are getting diagnosed over the internet, I was wondering if you could tell me whats wrong with my truck?

Its making this noise like chinkchock, chinkchock pssssf, etc.

LOL! Our old van is making this noise: tickety tickety tick....but we know it's the valves. We'll run the SOB until it dies.

BTW, I have diagnosed Osama bin Laden with Marfan's Synrome, long distance. I'm not a doctor--I just play one on TV.

16 posted on 10/08/2001 2:13:16 PM PDT by Catspaw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

It's a Ford.

17 posted on 10/08/2001 2:14:49 PM PDT by Gil4

Comment #18 Removed by Moderator

Yes, I can diagnose it !

It's your canootin valve and I can replace it for only $487.93 oh yes and I only take cash......

RebelsKid

19 posted on 10/08/2001 2:23:52 PM PDT by rebelskid

To: lainde
I am not trying to pretend to be a doctor. Rush is one of my favorite people and I am just concerned. I hope whatever it is goes away.
20 posted on 10/08/2001 2:24:35 PM PDT by Reelect President Dubya
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-26 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson