Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

U.S. Believes More Attacks Are Planned
Los Angeles Times ^ | September 30, 2001 | JOSH MEYER

Posted on 09/30/2001 7:22:39 AM PDT by sarcasm

Edited on 09/03/2002 4:49:21 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

WASHINGTON -- U.S. intelligence officials believe that Osama bin Laden long ago began orchestrating a significant terrorist counterpunch to the expected U.S. retaliation for the attacks on New York and the Pentagon, a Bush administration official said Saturday.

The official said there is "no doubt" that Bin Laden has planned a response to anticipated United States military strikes.

"He has gamed out the next two or three moves already. He expects us to respond to the World Trade Center, and he has the next move planned after that," the official said.

(Excerpt) Read more at latimes.com ...

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021 next last
Click HERE for the rest of the article.
1 posted on 09/30/2001 7:22:39 AM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Comment #2 Removed by Moderator

To: sarcasm
Okay, the guy is an evil genius. I still have to bet on our guys who are in charge right now. Thank God (!) Gore lost Florida. If he had won, we would be (mis)guided by NotSoBright, Sandy Berger, Warren (cadaver) Christopher, and God knows who else Gore would have appointed in his cabinet. Nope. I take Bush over binLaden. So good to have adults running the show now, instead of eight years of policywonk, "can'twejust getalong" types.
3 posted on 09/30/2001 7:27:38 AM PDT by Galtoid
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

It's begining to look alot like Christmas,so the song goes.Has anyone else had these thoughts.Jewish and Christian holidays coming up soon.Or even thanksgiving,a true American holiday.Would an attack on our soil during the up coming holidays launch us into WWIII?
4 posted on 09/30/2001 7:30:46 AM PDT by eastforker

To: baasheeple
intern them for their own safty.

We're sill letting them in.

5 posted on 09/30/2001 7:32:37 AM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

"He has gamed out the next two or three moves already. He expects us to respond to the World Trade Center, and he has the next move planned after that," the official said.

Probably true, but he ran up against someone he mis-judged....President Bush.

6 posted on 09/30/2001 7:33:14 AM PDT by RightWingMama

To: eastforker
It's begining to look alot like Christmas,so the song goes.Has anyone else had these thoughts.Jewish and Christian holidays coming up soon.Or even thanksgiving,a true American holiday.Would an attack on our soil during the up coming holidays launch us into WWIII?

I was going to be in Atlanta for both holidays - I think I'll be changing my plans.

7 posted on 09/30/2001 7:34:37 AM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

We're sill letting them in.

This is insane! I am getting the feeling as though we will need two or three major attacks on our soil before something gets done. Good God people! We watched the f---ing World Trade Center come crashing down before our very eyes! What more will it take?!?! A nuke in San Diego?!?!

And yet nothing is being done to protect Americans in our own country!

Oh wait, I forgot about the ban on curbside checking.

8 posted on 09/30/2001 7:40:45 AM PDT by Drew68
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: eastforker
I don't think it would be appealing for the terrorists to strike on Thanksgiving Day or Christmas. Office buildings will be empty and just about everybody will be home with their families. Terrorists like to get that big death toll. So look for them to strike on a normal working day. We should be concerned about New Year's Eve however, as vast multitudes of people congregate in major cities. Hopefully we will have the sleepers rooted out by then (if not already).
9 posted on 09/30/2001 7:41:49 AM PDT by SamAdams76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: SamAdams76
I was refering to the days just prior or after. Maybe between Thanksgiving and Christmas.I truly believe this is a plan much deeper than OBL thought up.I keep thinking back to last november,how Gore insanely tried to steal the election,like there was some future reason that he must win,how russert before the election ranted about it would come down to Florida.The look in GW's eyes and his determination to take charge as if he Knew something terrible was going to happen in the future.I told my wife all summer that september something bad was gonna happen,thought it was gonna be in the mid-east though,not here.I think the people in the know,Bush Sr.,clinton,gore and anybody else in a position to know,knew that terror was gonna strike ,not exactly the when or how.
10 posted on 09/30/2001 7:54:25 AM PDT by eastforker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Kalashnikov_68
Oh wait, I forgot about the ban on curbside checking.

No fingernail clippers either, pardner.

There, now don't you feel a whole lot better?

11 posted on 09/30/2001 8:04:24 AM PDT by angkor
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: RightWingMama
"...Probably true, but he ran up against someone he mis-judged....President Bush..."

Maybe Bin Laden laid these plans down before the election, at least partially in anticipation of them playing out against a weak and treason-prone algore.

Perhaps this is less a miscalculation of Bush than the (erroneous) calculation that W would not be the opponent.

Thank GOD that mincing moron algore failed to seize power.

This turn of history is powerful, albeit subtle, PROOF that God has not abandoned America. If He had, He would have allowed algore to preside over our defeat.

12 posted on 09/30/2001 8:15:14 AM PDT by DWSUWF
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: DWSUWF
Maybe Bin Laden laid these plans down before the election, at least partially in anticipation of them playing out against a weak and treason-prone algore.

I doubt that Ossma (may I call him Ossma. Sure I can) cared who would be President.

I believe Ossma couldn’t be happier unless it would have been Bush the elder who was elected President.

Having GWB as President allows Ossma to humiliate the son of the President who brought infidels to the Holy Land.

In Ossma’s mind he can disgrace GHWB by disgracing his son.

Revenge couldn’t be sweeter for Ossma.

13 posted on 09/30/2001 8:32:19 AM PDT by Pontiac
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

U.S. intelligence officials believe that Osama bin Laden long ago began orchestrating a significant terrorist counterpunch . . .

This could be one of the reasons our response has been so slow; gotta root out those sleepers, ya' know. Problem is, we'll never know who they all are and what their capabilities are until OBL's feared counterpunch happens. That's why we need wholesale internments now. I know Dubya doesn't believe in all this weepy PC crap we're getting from the media. I just wonder how long it'll be, and how many more will have to die, before he throws off the chains and does what needs to be done.

14 posted on 09/30/2001 8:33:02 AM PDT by LibWhacker

To: Pontiac
Good points.

I agree that Osama didn't care who would be President. But I do believe that he anticipated algore filling that slot. (and may even have tweaked his planning accordingly)

We'll never know what the outlines of that opening day were meant to be. It seems clear that at least two airliner attacks, and possibly two or three times that number, failed to be executed for a variety of reasons. Was a strike at Oak Ridge, in Tennessee, one of them? Would a Dallas or Houston target have been on the agenda in an alternative plan?

We'll never know.

I agree that Osama relishes the opportunity to strike, albeit obliquely, at the Bush family through W, and wouldn't be surprised to see minor modifications to plans already in place to exploit this 'opportunity'.

15 posted on 09/30/2001 9:03:17 AM PDT by DWSUWF
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: LibWhacker
"That's why we need wholesale internments now."

No. Wholesale deportations of enemy aliens. Revocation of "student visas" etc.

And detailed scrutiny of all "naturalized citizens" from terrorist nations.

This will take years...if we had the guts to recognize the problem and get started...I fear we do not and will not.

--Boris

16 posted on 09/30/2001 9:03:59 AM PDT by boris
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: boris
Hi, Boris! The reason I favor mass internment over deportation is 1) there is a precedent for the former, 2) its constitutionality has never been questioned by SCOTUS AFAIK, indeed a Japanese student lost his case before the Supreme Court during WWII, 3) I think one of the 9/11 hijackers was a U.S. citizen and I don't know how we could legally deport them and, 4) I think if we do deport them our troops will just have to face a significant number of them later on the battlefield, or they will engage in terrorist activities against us overseas. Nevertheless, deportation is much, Much, MUCH better IMHO than what we're doing about the threat right now, which is essentially nothing. Cheers!
17 posted on 09/30/2001 9:34:22 AM PDT by LibWhacker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: SamAdams76
I'm not sure about that. They could go for Thanksgiving, ie. football, and Christmas. I'm sure these jerks would have no problem strapping a bomb to themselves and crashing a van full of explosives into a church full of people praying. Just think of the attention they would get from that!
18 posted on 09/30/2001 3:43:26 PM PDT by shel
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: shel
Welcome to Free Republic newcomer!

I'm sure every football stadium in America has an F-15 nearby ready to scramble. Let's hope so anyhow.

19 posted on 09/30/2001 3:52:12 PM PDT by SamAdams76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

While were at it, please send off a note to your congress critters and demand deportation of illegals and nationals especially from the mideastern countries.

Link to get your reps address HERE

20 posted on 10/01/2001 3:29:51 AM PDT by snippy_about_it

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson