Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

A 90-DAY PAUSE – NOW! : The INS should not issue any new visas of any kind for 90 days
RobertLocke.com ^ | September 18, 2001 | Robert Locke

Posted on 09/20/2001 12:39:44 AM PDT by ouroboros

A 90-DAY PAUSE – NOW!

By  Robert Locke

The Washington Post has reported that the FBI has detained 75 immigrants in connection with last week’s attacks. The terrorists who died in the explosion make another 20 or so. If these detentions are correct, as many as 95 immigrants, perhaps more, many of them illegal, murdered about 5,000 Americans. Many of these immigrants were allowed into to the United States to study flying at Florida flight schools, to infiltrate airports, to stage dry runs, and to otherwise plot their attack. They often overstayed their visas.

According to experts, a basic reason the attack was not stopped is that the agency responsible for admitting these terrorists, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (I.N.S.), is overwhelmed; its systems and procedures are out of control.

The I.N.S. cannot reliably track even the simplest facts. The I.N.S. database does not know, for example, exactly where an immigrant entered America. It does not know how many times an immigrant has entered on a visa. It does not know whether an immigrant has repeatedly overstayed his tourist visas. It does not know whether a student visa has been overstayed. It does not have an immediate computer record of whether an immigrant has left the country: everything is written on paper and first stored in boxes.  Former Commissioner Doris Meissner admitted that the I.N.S. was unable to check citizenship applications adequately because of the enormous pressure to grant large numbers of citizenship and other visas in the 1990’s. It has no electronic means of validating a state birth certificate to detect forgery. Its computer system is incompatible with the State Department’s system identifying suspected terrorists.

In short, the whole documentary structure of the I.N.S. is, in the words of Reagan’s Attorney General William French Smith, “a foundation of sand.”

The first thing you do when you are in a hole is to stop digging deeper. In the case of the I.N.S., the way to stop digging ourselves into an ever-deeper hole is to pause in issuing new visas.  A pause is the necessary first step so that the I.N.S. can focus its energy on the World Trade Center investigation. A pause is the necessary first step to repairing the damage, to get the systems and procedures of the I.N.S. back under control. 

A 90-Day Pause provision should be inserted into the upcoming anti-terrorist legislation: “The Immigration and Naturalization Service shall not issue any new visas of any kind for 90 days from the date this act takes effect, except that the Attorney General may authorize up to 2,000 visas over this 90-day period in cases of critical national interest.”

Such a 90-Day Pause would not affect visas already issued. Nor would it prevent tourism from Europe, Japan, and other places where visas are not required. But a 90-Day Pause would allow the I.N.S. some relief to focus all its time and effort on assisting the F.B.I. with its investigation - and on fixing an out-of-control immigration system.

As politicians call for suspending civil liberties across the country, every citizen must answer the question: should we trammel the right of citizens to be secure in their persons and property – but not the right of terrorists to waltz back and forth across our borders at will?

TOPICS: Editorial; Government
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-40 next last

1 posted on 09/20/2001 12:39:45 AM PDT by ouroboros
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Agrarian Mercuria diotima sheltonmac Either/Or Askel5 mrustow UnBlinkingEye, Campion Moore Boru,

2 posted on 09/20/2001 12:47:43 AM PDT by ouroboros
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Eskimo Zviadist independentmind susangirl Twodees x CubicleGuy SamAdams76 MK Mark17 DoughtyOne junta

3 posted on 09/20/2001 12:49:40 AM PDT by ouroboros

To: A.J.Armitage, stand watie, LibertyGirl77 The_Expatriate Carol-HuTex MissAmericanPie arimus bigunreal

4 posted on 09/20/2001 12:51:51 AM PDT by ouroboros

To: cva66snipe, nunya bidness, Travis McGee, BurkeCalhounDabney KantianBurke abigail2 arcane philman_36

5 posted on 09/20/2001 12:53:55 AM PDT by ouroboros

To: Cato LaBelleDameSansMerci PoisedWoman Rebeckie firebrand precisian A2J Derville Fiddlstix brat AnnaZ

6 posted on 09/20/2001 12:55:23 AM PDT by ouroboros

To: feinswinesuksass The_Eaglet wideawake, William Terrell, martinchemnitz TheWriter RLK jack gillis

7 posted on 09/20/2001 12:57:48 AM PDT by ouroboros

Comment #8 Removed by Moderator

To: kaylar Romulus Jefferson Adams constitutiongirl Restorer HalfIrish madrussian annalex mafree Dumb_Ox

9 posted on 09/20/2001 1:02:18 AM PDT by ouroboros

To: ouroboros
A 90-day pause - NOW - at the minimum!

One bright light: the Saudi embassy is directing all Saudi students to return home ASAP.

10 posted on 09/20/2001 1:03:37 AM PDT by onyx
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Comment #11 Removed by Moderator

To: Arator, Willie Green, ex-snook, BluesDuke eniapmot Franklin1776, Inspector Harry Callahan, jordan8 P

12 posted on 09/20/2001 1:05:56 AM PDT by ouroboros

Comment #13 Removed by Moderator

The US is in such a mess on this issue that it is probable that any military action must to be constrained until the domestic terror nests are rooted out.
14 posted on 09/20/2001 1:08:24 AM PDT by Fulbright

To: Pelham Constitutionalist Conservative tex-oma laurav t-shirt oyez Anochka, Burkeman1 sarcasm evilc

15 posted on 09/20/2001 1:10:30 AM PDT by ouroboros

To: ALL
I don't remember exactly which year it was, '94 or '95, that Sen. Jesse Helms called for a one-year moratorium on ALL visas. If I remember correctly he was willing to allow visas for those foreigners with an injury or disease which could only be treated in the U.S. Mainstream media, of course, led the way in depicting Helms as a right-wing extremist for this. The very reason Helms wanted to do this was to provide the INS the time to get their house in order.
16 posted on 09/20/2001 2:39:10 AM PDT by waxhaw

The administration won't stop it, even though there's a recession and lots of Americans are out of a job. Lord forbid if the supply of low-wage foreigners should dry up. Unbelievable.
17 posted on 09/20/2001 5:32:13 AM PDT by HalfIrish

Comment #18 Removed by Moderator

Thanks for the bump, ouroboros.

Personally, I believe that until INS is able to show that they can effectively track immigrants in the country as well as enforce immigration laws, they should have an indefinite moratorium on all visas.

I also would call for Congress to pass resolutions declaring that the Constitution was written for and applies strictly to Americans and not aliens.

19 posted on 09/20/2001 6:11:21 AM PDT by A2J
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Comment #20 Removed by Moderator

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-40 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson